American West vs. Canadian West

greenlander

greenlander

As an easterner, I think of the American West as an unspoiled wilderness filled with pristine streams, vast open spaces, and fish populations that dwarf those we're used to in the east.

Recently, I'm coming under the impression that the streams of the Canadian Rockies and coastal Canadian streams are that much more unspoiled and healthy than their American counterparts. Trout, steelhead, etc all seem to be present in healthier numbers and under less pressure than their cousins in the states.

This is of course true to some extent, simply because Canada is less populated and farther to travel to from major population centers. That said, I'm getting the impression that this isn't a slight difference, but a major one.

Anyone with experience / knowledge in these two areas have any insight?

Dear greenlander,

I can only offer the experiences that have been relayed from my brother, a CO inhabitant since 1985. Like me, he's born and bred and cut his teeth both fishing and fly fishing in PA.

It's not so much that the fishing is better or the scenery is better, rather that the overall attitude of the all the people you meet is better, and that contibutes a great deal to how a fishing experience is viewed.

He has been fishing the same general area each Fall around Fernie BC for about 10 years and he always tells me that I have to come on one of the trips.

I am reluctant to go, not so much for what I might see or experience, but for what I might find myself missing when I come back home.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Actually Canada has only one western great trout stream-The Bow in Alberta-Their rivers stay silted up longer because of more snow pack-Steel head,salmon and lake fishing are their big draws in the West-Eastern Canada for brookies,chars better river fishing.

Hm! the Canadian West is bigger than the US West and they only have one great trout stream? Curious! Maybe it's anglers not talking.

LOL, @ Pete.

I've heard that Alberta has an excellent mix of amazing wild trout fishing of all different species from the eastern edge of the Rockies to the Canadian plains. I guess you could say Calgary is like the Denver of Canada, only you have to figure it's about 1,000 miles north of Denver Co, lol.

I would think a late summer fishing trip to Calgary would just be a great experience

I'm not really big with celebreties but to me that's like asking- Would you rather date Selma Hayek or Penélope Cruz?
(or insert some hotties you identify with)

Alberta/BC is high on my list but probably gonna take a few years to be a reality. Several of my fishing buddies have fished the area. They haven'nt been everywhere but most of the American and Canadian hot fly spots. They said they would go back in a minute- that to me is a very good endorsement.

Canada has less people, less traffic around it's National Parks. Canada is also going to be more expensive to get to and travel around in. Cost of airline tickets (less of a choice of airports to fly into), gasoline, exchange rates.

Bow, Michele, Oldman,Elk, Crowsnest etc.. and entire BC coast (which is a giant area) for sea run species seems like a dream trip.

Again, the American west is not chopped liver. My next trip I hope to take will be Northern California. Certainly fun to think about.

Latest Fly Fisherman Mag. has an article by April Vokey on steelies and salmon in BC.She looks like she'd be fun to fish with.

I am sure they have a lot of nice streams but the Bow and it's tribs was the only one that got rave reviews-The west slope gets a lot of moisture-the eastern slope of the rockies would be more like Montana or Idaho.

GG-
I just got that magazine also - that pretty young girl is a guide.
I'd probably have a hard time concentrating on fishing with her around

Dear Pete,

Did you ever think that maybe that is because the Bow is one of the few places in Canada that has the necessary infrastructure to support it's designation as a "destination?"

It's surrounded by a major metroplitan area offering easy access and it offers excellent fishing, therefore it gets publicity. That isn't that hard to figure out.

It's by no means the only stream in Canada that offers excellent fishing even though it seems to be the only stream that folks in the States seem to know about.

It's funny you say that the West slope drainages are wet, last time I checked fish seemed to live in water pretty well. Did something change and I missed it?

Canada has a larger land mass than the USA and less than 10 percent of the people. Do the math.

Regards,

"Tim Murphy
I am reluctant to go, not so much for what I might see or experience, but for what I might find myself missing when I come back home."

And like the fish of a life time, after it's caught, things change.

okay

sundrunk wrote:
"Tim Murphy
I am reluctant to go, not so much for what I might see or experience, but for what I might find myself missing when I come back home."

And like the fish of a life time, after it's caught, things change.

Dear sundrunk,

That of course depends on how you view things like "the fish of a lifetime."

My fish of a lifetime was caught when I was about 6 or 7 years old at Playwicki Park fishing with my Dad and my cousin Jeanne. For that little 4 inch sunnie led to a lifelong passion. I still have an old dog-eared picture of my cousin Jeanne's first fish to remind me.

After that it's all just memories, isn't it?

What I believe my brother wants me to see and experience revolves more around the Canadian people and less around the fishing.

I've spent time in Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. I liked what I saw more than the time I spent in Philadelphia, Houston, and Atlanta.

My experience has shown that our neighbours to the North in general are more relaxed and accommodating, seeing that again will only make me miss it more.

That's not meant as a slur or an insult to my fellow Americans. It's merely a reflection of what I have seen as a difference between the two countries that were both pretty much founded by the same immigrants, nothing more and nothing less.

Regards,

As she wrote ,the short rivers get little pressure and would be like fishing an untouched stream.tough to beat.imo

who is she-sheefish?

April Vokey,fyi,Pete.What cha think?

Attachments

• april.jpg
    april.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2
looks like an old goats pin-up[he says,as he ducks]lol

Back