Amazing flows on the WBDE!

CatchingChrome

CatchingChrome

Wow, with the dam at 102% capacity and inflow to the dam nearing 20,000 cfs. We are seeing some the highest flows I have ever seen on the WBDE. Currently stiles is at 10,000 and hale over 20,000. This is unbelievable to think that for months they released 500-600 (which is better than 325) and when they need capacity in the dam they don't have it. They could have released 1000 cfs all summer long. Hope the large amount of overflow doesnt damage the fishery with the high volumes of warm overflow water entering the river system.

Lest you forget, the dams on the Delaware ARE NOT for flood control, in fact there has never been until recently any consideration of flood control build in to the dams licenses, or permits, which to me is foolish. NYC keeps the dams as full as possible so there is a surplus of water for the city, it's an abomination.

Yeah, I hear you Stone. It is pretty crazy that the keep all that water all summer long. This is a prime example of what happens when they seem to miss manage the water supply. While they are not flood control dams, I think they could manage it better to protect the river and the public in this kind of situation.

Lmao, When i hear folks talk about the Upper Delaware i have to laugh, ever watch bugs bunny and when yosemite sam ,and he are building dams like they did out west and fought over it decades ago maybe a hundred years ago...lmao that just too funny.
As for me I was raised in Easton, reason NY has decided to do releases is that folks downstream are threatening to bring down holy hell on NYC over the dams,
Last floods literally hurt alot of us folks down stream of those dams ..why... because of poorly ..oh wait.. no good water management.If it werent for those dams ...especially the west branch thered be no trout below Deposit.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
I grew up looking at the "55 Flood {hurricane diane} pictures my dad was there also had relatives that lived in Stroudsburg..next to the broadheads creek. i also saw those pics..for years and even now they find old human bones washed up from that flood.

This subject of NYC dams/water release/flood control, etc has been beaten to death. However, this event is extreme. Not sure if you can really plan for such an event, and for people way downstream to think that some reservoir way the hell upstream will prevent flooding is foolish. Sure up close to the dam, voids might decrease the flooding extent, but it will not eliminate. AS for downstream in EAston, BucksCo, etc....forget it.

They released quite a bit of water this summer, and this storm ate those voids up for lunch.

Word is the trailers at Caucci's Campground have been moved to higher ground. And it looks like (as of now and with no more significant rains) the West at Hale Eddy won't crest at the 2006 level of 19'. Which was the highest since the dams were built.

Click on some of the red dots in the Upper D watershed to see where we stand historically.

Wow, with the dam at 102% capacity and inflow to the dam nearing 20,000 cfs. We are seeing some the highest flows I have ever seen on the WBDE. Currently stiles is at 10,000 and hale over 20,000. This is unbelievable to think that for months they released 500-600 (which is better than 325) and when they need capacity in the dam they don't have it. They could have released 1000 cfs all summer long. Hope the large amount of overflow doesnt damage the fishery with the high volumes of warm overflow water entering the river system.

I guess you weren't around in 2006 when the flow went way over 30,000 cfs and 18-feet at Hale Eddy. It was the first time in the 20-yrs I owned it, that water flowed into my home's basement. I didn't think it was possible, but the river seems to have recovered nicely.

Back