Am I crazy?

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Just got the three rods I ordered from Cabela's lat week, and the only thing that keeps crossing my mind is how much I need to "season" the cork. I just really dislike the way "fresh" cork feels, and I much prefer the look cork gains after being covered with skin oil, sweat, nd fish slime. I told my friend about this, and he told me that I'm crazy and that by allowing the "Patina" to accumulate on my grips I'm abusing them and shortening their useful life...what's wrong with me?

p.s.- I'll be taking the 3-wt out for a test drive on a few local brookie streams next week, before my license for this year expires (I'll be buying a 5-year license next year), so hopefully I can season that one a little, but I'll have to wait until spring to break in the 8-wt and the 10-wt.

You are on the mark with the "patina" the cork takes on when well used. I much prefer the look and feel of it once broken in. It's at that point it takes on that old friend feel.

I'm on the opposite end of this one. I like the feel on a good clean cork.

I also try to keep my cork clean.

Prefer when it is worked in.

I think it's primarily a cosmetic and aesthetic issue and the state of the cork does little to affect its functionality or useful life. I personally like it when the rod looks used; new cork has that pale and sickly look.

I'm with you. I hate the look and feel of new cork. I know it's strange, but the first thing i do when i'm fishing with a new rod is dunk the handle and look for some mud to rub over the handle before i start fishing. OCD?

I generally clean my cork every day. The ladies prefer a nice clean cork.

So...do you rinse or soak? You don't want to be known as a cork soaker. (credit to SNL).

I have my wife clean my cork.

My condolences to you wife.

Meh, she is a clean freak and enjoys it.

I keep my hard wood clean, I like my cork dirty. :-D

totally unrelated, but the Cabela's Prestige Premier is a sweet freakin' reel.

I believe it's in the bargain cave for the same price as a spare spool.

Well, I know I'm gonna get hammered on this, but I seal new cork with light colored (Pine, etc) Minwax stain - wipe all the excess off. I just use the stain, not any type of finish. I'm over 60 and have done this as long as I can remember, I think it helps bond any filler so I don't get cavities, etc. And the cork does not get hard or slick nor do my older rods have any dried out "ribbed", or rotted cork.

I know it's really against all the rules to do this - but hey I've made my own rods so I figure it's OK to do whatever, they're my rods.

That's exactly right, it's your stuff and it sounds like it's worked for you for a long time. It's all about whatever makes us happy.

krayfish wrote:
I believe it's in the bargain cave for the same price as a spare spool.

That's why I bought it...as a reel for the backup 10-weight. It's the size 4' and I currently have it spooled with a Rio Pike/Muskie WF10F line and 450 yards of 30-pound GSP backing.

Back