A few photos from a NEPA freestoner

greenlander

greenlander

For those of you who are interested, I've posted a few photos from yesterday's trip to NE PA.

I would have liked to get a few more shots, but the light was low and I was busy fishing. Still, some really nicely colored brookies ...

http://fathammy.com/photo/august-penn ... s-small-freestone-streams

Nice. I love seeing this type of stuff.

Nice pics. That last one is worthy of being blown up and framed. Art.

very nice photography!

Wow, that's some seriously nice work and will remind me to 'smell the flowers' next time I'm out there. Hope to have a little photo montage from the Catskill Jam.

really nice pics Greenlander.

very nice phots, great job! I love the one with the brookie upright on the rocks

Thanks to all. I'm glad to know people enjoy seeing them.

I intend to get a post about the fishing done, but haven't found the time yet.

flythrower wrote:
very nice phots, great job! I love the one with the brookie upright on the rocks

Strangely enough, the fish essentially posed itself. I'm not normally a big fan of putting fish on the rocks, as I try to handle them as little as possible and take care to do it carefully when I do. As noted in the caption, that fish flopped itself right out of my net while I was going for my camera and came to a rest in that position.

Getting most of those pics was tricky. I was casting into pretty small pools and spillovers, so I was getting the fish in really quickly, so they were pretty feisty in the net or while being handled. :)

i hate you and your photography skills.....kidding

what awesome photos. What camera do you shoot with?

Steven

thebassman wrote:
i hate you and your photography skills.....kidding

what awesome photos. What camera do you shoot with?

Thanks, Steven.

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, a camera which I have no business owning.

However, I'm glad I have it as I'm considering starting to do some video with it.

very nice pics im glad to see there is still some fishable waters out there again very nice pics

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II

And you are fine taking it out on the water? I only have a Canon XSi and want to take it with me, but I am afraid of ruining it....so I just end up taking my Kodak Zx5 instead

thebassman wrote:
And you are fine taking it out on the water? I only have a Canon XSi and want to take it with me, but I am afraid of ruining it....so I just end up taking my Kodak Zx5 instead

I didn't, for a long time. I've since decided that what's the point in owning the camera if I won't use it on the water?

The 5DMkII is a bit different than the XSi in that it is weather-sealed, although nothing like the 1D / 1Ds series cameras. Still, the buttons and hatches are weather sealed, and Canon made a distinct effort to align seams elsewhere for maximum weather resistance.

It won't handle a dunking, but it will handle light rain for a few minutes, and picking it up with wet hands isn't a concern.

My main issue is that I don't have a good L-series lens that will allow me to get some of the fish shots I'd like to get when I'm by myself. So, in those scenarios, I have a weather-sealing weak spot at the lens.

I'm planning to have it with me at all times going forward, so I plan to insure it separately. That way, if it goes in the lake or stream, so be it.

mmm a nice L series lens would be great

The 5DMkII is a bit different than the XSi

Heck yes it is....I would die to own one of those. The XSi is a starter into the pro"ish" level......the 5DMkII is way above the XSi. What editing program to you use on your photos...?

thebassman wrote:
The 5DMkII is a bit different than the XSi

Heck yes it is....I would die to own one of those. The XSi is a starter into the pro"ish" level......the 5DMkII is way above the XSi. What editing program to you use on your photos...?

Yeah, there's no denying the capabilities of the 5D2. That said, don't worry too much about the camera. The vast majority of shots I take could have been taken with the XSi just as well. That's specifically because I'm not a professional, and have no business owning a camera I can't take proper advantage of. Still, the 5D2 offers me hand-held advantages at low light and the extent to which I can crop (thanks to the full frame 21+ MP) is often really liberating. But again, the XSi is a *great* camera which doesn't present much in terms of limitations.

I still have my original digital camera, the Canon 300D. It was Canon's first digital rebel. Even now, that camera takes great pictures. It is closing in on 10 years old.

Grab yourself a couple decent lenses. There are plenty of great lenses that aren't L series. One of my favorites, which was used to take every picture in that series, cost me $70. Forget about the body, you're in good shape.

Fishidiot was kind enough to edit the original link for me, which changed, but it doesn't seem to be taking.

Here it is for anyone else interested:
http://fathammy.com/photo/august-pennsylvanias-small-freestone-streams

i know that stream. :-o i used to live within walking distance of that stream. i used to fish it several times a year when i was a kid. there were times when a few of us started out at maple run and fished it all the way down to the chicken farm on huntington creek. that was a fun but long all day trip. i made it up there a few times this past spring. it is still a nice creek.

Back