Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: A Clearfield Co. wild trout stream in trouble....

From York co.
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
The list indicates BFC as a source of surface water for something between 100,000-600,000 gallons per day (the actual number is unclear, but it appears six times at 0.1 mgd per listing). I don't know how that stipulates that they can't take surface water out of the narrrows. My guess is that they probably can take that amount from anywhere on BFC, but for logistical reasons there isn't much likelihood that they would go into the narrows. They need a place to park their trucks.

As for the aquifers, whether or not the narrows is effected depends on whether or not the cone of depression from pumping extends into that area, not necessarily whether any actual (water) well sites are upstream. This depends to a large degree on what the underlying geology looks like. It would not take a lot of drawdown to effect surface flows under low flow conditions. If you take water of the system faster than it is replenished, over time that will effect the whole aquifer.

My point was just that a lot of water is coming out of the watersheds in Central PA. Spring Creek and the Little J have been especially low, which is evidenced by the usgs records. These streams are all dependent on a relatively constant influx of groundwater to maintain summer flows. If you draw down groundwater levels over time, the streams don't get as much. These aquifers are the reason that we have great fishing in central PA. It is not acceptable to export water from our aquifers to other parts of the state for these sorts of operations. At least when a golf course pumps water, they put it immediately back on the golf course (with losses due to evaporation). Nothing is going to replace the water that is leaving central PA on trucks. Aquifers are not an infinite reservoir of water and they should not be treated that way.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 19:43

Re: A Clearfield Co. wild trout stream in trouble....

From Mont Co, Pa
That list of water extractions is scarey. I can see Susk and Wyoming counties are bearing the brunt of activity, for now.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 8:28

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com