Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: A Clearfield Co. wild trout stream in trouble....

From Pittsburgh
email sent. we need to stay on top of this!

Posted on: 2011/2/12 14:00

From Lehigh Valley
troutbert, Paco

Here's a copy of my email.

Susquehanna River Basin Commission,

Sirs & Ladies,

Hi, I wanted to let you know i think this is a big mistake with all the water that has been ruined here in Clearfield County already from mining and improper sewage drainage. You would think that this area of Pennsylvania has suffered enough from exploitation of natural resources. Of all things, taking water from a Class A trout stream, Upper Three Runs, that holds the state's fish, Salvelinius Fontinalis or Brook Trout should be considered criminal.

How is it that a company can just come in from out of nowhere and decide to petition for a resouce that should belong to every living thing. Clean water is necessary for life. Clean water that occurs naturally should not be given to corporate entities to profit from exploitation of natural resources.It is disparaging to know that you would even consider taking water to throw down in the ground with known cancerous causing chemicals, let alone the fact that it would probabaly dry up that tributary.Why not take water from the West Branch of the Susquehanna river, where it is located within easy access also.

What oversight will there be to police this operation? Already our state has suffered way too many numerous "accidents " at these well sites.What does it take for people to learn? Mistakes of the past should be learned from not be repeated, especially for profit. Historically you can drive around Clearfield County, and many counties both East and West in this great state, and see for yourself the shortsightedness of man's past decisions.

I feel that the argument that this will bring in more jobs, which ultimately doesn't answer the need to keep our water sources safe, should not be the reason to allow access to a limited resource. Most of these companies that do this type of business bring in their own people to work these gas wells. Which doesn't answer the need for more permanent jobs by people that live here.

I humbly ask you,better yet i implore you, to look within yourselves, to think hard and long before you grant any entity entitlement to any clean water in this watershed. Especially Clearfield County Pennsylvania where clean water is already at a premium. If not for yourselves, for the people of the future who will live, work, and raise their families here. Please say no to this and any future requests for clean water access by corporate entities that have only money as an incentive for coming to our state.

Respectfully,

Rick Wallace & Renee Myers

Thanks again for bringing this subject to the forum and to my attention. Clearfield county and Pa in general, fly fishing and clean water access are very important to me as they should be to all of us.

tight wraps & tight lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2011/2/12 15:06

From "THE VILLE"
I went to the fly shop this morning to B.S. 's with some people and was told that several WCO's have voiced there concerns and as well as Rep. "Bud " George has also gottin' involved. I can't see the area T.U. chapters setting on the hands either . But havent called about there involvement yet.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 16:08
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

Good email, LoneWolve.

Paco, if you know some local TU guys, let them know. I sent emails to 2 TUers.

This might go beyond this one stream. They shouldn't be taking water from little brookie streams at all. If they are going to take water, they can get it from the river. Or mine drainage streams. There is a stream nearby, at Karthaus, that's completely dead from AMD. Let them take that water instead.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 16:38

From "THE VILLE"
They've bin told already sent emails and a link to this thread

Posted on: 2011/2/12 16:48
same.”

Thank you, everyone, for your submitting your comments and expressing your concerns about the proposal by Carrizo to withdraw water from Upper Three Runs. I am required to respond to each of your e-mail messages, so you will each hear from me individually.

In the meantime, I'll offer just a few comments of my own about SRBC's regulatory program and what you can expect from this application by Carrizo.

First, we require applicants to publish notice of their application so that people in the area are aware of what has been proposed. That seems to be working!

Once the application is received, we begin our review process. Our staff is still reviewing applications that were received last fall, so we won't be looking at the Upper Three Runs application for another few months. Until that time, I won't be able to offer any specific information about our review. What I can do is try to address some concerns you have been expressing, and tell you how we'll review the application:

1) Yes, we are very concerned about the trout fishery and we will consider that in our review. We have higher standards for naturally reproducing trout streams when it comes to deciding whether or not to permit a withdrawal of water.

2) Our staff always visits every site of a proposed water taking to collect information about the stream. We will conduct an assessment of the biology and ecology in the area, under our Aquatic Resource Survey.

3) Each of our reviews includes the consideration of the quantity of water requested and the ability of the stream to provide that water. We will perform a detailed analysis of the stream to gain an understanding of its hydrology throughout the year, in both normal and drought conditions. In settings like this one, we almost always impose restrictions to protect the stream during dry conditions, if we issue an approval. Such a condition would require that Carrizo cease all withdrawals at those times. Last summer, most companies were unable to take any water during all of July, August and September.

4) Yes, we consider not only the impact of the withdrawal on Upper Three Runs, but also how it will impact downstream rivers. We assess the potential for impacts to the stream, to the aquatic life it supports, and to other users.

5) SRBC offers certain incentives to companies to avoid small high-quality streams like Upper Three Runs, and we too would prefer they take water from the West Branch Susquehanna or an AMD-impacted stream instead, but we cannot demand it.

Thanks again for expressing your concerns and for allowing me to post here. I hope this information helps to answer the many questions you understandably have.

Drew Dehoff
Susquehanna River Basin Commission

Posted on: 2011/2/12 19:36

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Drew,

Thank you sincerely for your informative post. Keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 21:18

From "THE VILLE"
As Pcray said thanks. I dont want any wild fishery get trampled by the the shale industry let alone 1 that is so unknown as 3 runs. thanks again for your responce and your time on this matter.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 21:36
same.”

From Greensburg, PA
How much do these companies pay to take OUR water if they get approved?

Posted on: 2011/2/12 21:37

Mr. Dehoff,
thanks for your reply and understanding.

However, I do have a question: in your reply you stated:

" SRBC offers certain incentives to companies to avoid small high-quality streams like Upper Three Runs, and we too would prefer they take water from the West Branch Susquehanna or an AMD-impacted stream instead, but we cannot demand it."

My question is, as the regulatory agency who has jurisdisction over this, why can't you "demand it" ? Or at least regulate in that direction? Or is it simply that yours is not the agency who is in position to make such a demand. If that is the case, who is in such a position to make such regulations?

For all intents and purposes, the withdrawl of water from these small streams is simply the drillers looking to keep profits high by not having to deal with extra cost of bringing water in.

Thats just not a good enough reason.

Thanks for your viligance and attention to these matters & thanks especially for taking the time to address these concerns in a fourm such as this.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 22:50

From Mont Co, Pa
This is exactly what I was thinking after reading Mr. Dehoff's post. I appreciate his efforts, but there has to be somebody who's able to "demand" certain proceedures be taken to protect these streams!

Posted on: 2011/2/13 8:24

From Reading
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
This is exactly what I was thinking after reading Mr. Dehoff's post. I appreciate his efforts, but there has to be somebody who's able to "demand" certain proceedures be taken to protect these streams!

I know one person who has that power. Don't hold your breath that he will protect our natural resources. Gov Corbett needs to fill his coffers for his next election. It's called self preservation

Posted on: 2011/2/13 8:59

Quote:
What about if they drilled and spring creek got hit or Penn's or Fishing Creek .
Wait and see what happens on the Upper Delaware?This is nutz, i have to give Ny state credit at least they aint folding on this yet and are standing firm.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Several municipalities in central PA have been selling huge amounts of water to gas companies, which is no doubt contributing to the fact that spring creek, BFC, and the little J have been so low recently. We are facing continued low flow conditions for the foreseeable future for these streams. The fishing has already started to suffer, particularly in some of the tributaries. I'm expecting to see reductions to the trout populations proportionate to flow in all of these streams over the next several years. I think a lot of people think the central PA streams are somehow safe, when in reality they are already effected.

The upper delaware is one place that will be protected. You can say what you want about the reservoir management, but they aren't going to put the NYC water supply at risk. In this instance, this is actually good news for the trout in that system.

The image is of Big Fishing Creek behind the national fish hatchery this past summer. Stretches of BFC always run underground in the summer, but I was shocked by what I saw this past summer. They are pumping a lot of water out of the aquifers that sustain these streams, much faster than the water can be replaced. Its going to be even worse next year. We just have to hope an extremely wet, cool year so that these streams aren't entirely dependent on the aquifers. We may need to get that every year for the next decade.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/2/13 10:05

From Gunpowder River, MD
This is all so unbelievable. Clearfield county has always had a whorish rep when in comes to giving the energy industry what ever it wants, but now it seems both county and state officails have determined the natural gas extraction is more important than fresh running, clean water for it's own residents. When are we going to see more national coverage on this situation..

Posted on: 2011/2/13 10:36

From harlansburg
Quote:
When are we going to see more national coverage on this situation..

when it's too late.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 10:40

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com