Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

A chance meeting with a really good guy

From Souderton PA
There seem to be more posts telling stories of encountering idiots on the stream than good encounters, so I thought I should share a recent good experience I had with a complete stranger.
I was gearing up at Valley Creek this past Sunday morning. There was one other car parked at the pulloff, but no one in view. As I was getting ready to string up my rod, another car pulled up. Now I have seen guys jump out of their cars and run to the stream, I have had guys jog past me in waders as I was walking the trail, I even had a guy playing hopscotch with me all along the creek one day. I will typically just laugh it off and walk upstream for a while. So I was quite surprised to see a young guy get out of his car fully geared up and ready to fish walk over and ask me where I was planning on fishing. I told him not worry and that I planned on hiking for a bit before fishing, He explained that he only had a few hours and wanted to make the most of it, but wanted to be careful not to jump in ahead of me. This alone would have been enough to renew my faith in mankind, but the guy then spent a good 10 minutes of his precious fishing time telling me what had and had not worked for him the previous day, showing me patterns that worked, describing several good holes to try, and even gave me one of the flys that had been working for him. He then once again asked if I was certain I didn't mind if he fished the nearby holes before setting off. As I walked upstream I felt a bit bad that I didn't offer any flys or advice of my own, but frankly my luck on Valley Creek has been so bad since the big storms that I didn't have much to offer.
I went home skunked (again) but happy. It was a beautiful day to be out and enjoy the water, and this chance encounter really made the day.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 21:49

Re: A chance meeting with a really good guy
From Gettysburg
Good story. There's a lot more good folks out there on the water than bad apples

Posted on: 2011/10/19 22:33

From Scranton
I met a guy named Frank Kaszmerack(sp?) At A&G outfitters orvis FF101 classes over the summer in dickson city. The first class me and my girlfriend went to he told us about a good spot to fish on the lackawanna river. A few days later we went to said spot and he was there. Not only was he a anice enough guy to literally tell us to come take his spot because it was the best in the area, he noticed my girlfriend was using a crappy wal mart set up. He remembered us from the fly shop and asked if we would be attending the class next weekend. We told him we were going and he went to his car and let my girl borrow his orvis 3wt to practice with until the weekend. We were on a simple first name basis with the guy, all he asked was that wed leave the rod and reel with the shop owner on saturday. Now i know he wasnt a COMPLETE stranger at that point, but all in all that is not something most people would ever do. Its nice to know that there are people like that out there, even better that some of them belong to our brotherhood of fly fishers.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 22:46

From Other side of the tracks
Here's one. I'm not going to mention his name because he does visit here and it might embarrass him. And this was over 10 years ago. I had been in a discussion about bamboo rods and steelhead. Well, this guy on this site who had also given me tons of advice on restoring bamboo rods and silk lines, who I never met offered to send me a bamboo rod he recently completed specifically for steelhead for me to try out. I actually didn't want to for fear of breaking it, but he insisted.

He let me keep it for a few months to try various lines and to give him an honest opinion. And I gave him that.

the rod sucked.

No it didn't. I would have offered to buy it, cept I don't think it was for sale.

He does very nice work. the rod I think was a 10 footer and very slow action which is a plus for steelhead once you get used to it.

The guy is very high on my list of upstanding citizens that I have never met and would like to fish with some day.

Now he is into making those crazy 4 sided rods. I probably just gave away who it was/is.

If he know I'd keep bringing it up, he probably wouldn't have loaned it to me in the first place.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 5:41

From harlansburg
I've noticed it depends on what creek and what section of creek I fish when it comes to the type of people I meet. when I fish behind bob's shop in volant, most of the folks I meet aren't very welcoming, which is funny siince they want to stand right next to one another and fish! now when I fish cool spring, I almost always end up meeting and talking to some really nice folks, either in the parking lot or down along the stream.
when I fish penns, I meet extremes of all kinds. had one guy almost knock a group of us off the RR bridge past coburn while running to get to the creek, dumb bastard didn't know the hatch wasn't going to begin for another hour at least! I've also met, talked with, and fished with lots of really nice people while fishing there. I will say the good folks outweigh the @$$holes, even on the erie tribs, which can seem like a gauntlet to folks not used to it, but I've met some very helpful and friendly folks there as well.
now, when it comes to the characters I run into on the slippery rock during the white fly hatch,....!!!

Posted on: 2011/10/20 7:17

From Wayne County
thetonyage:

he noticed my girlfriend was using a crappy wal mart set up.

Is she still using it? I have an extra 6 wt

Posted on: 2011/10/20 9:22

From Room 109
I think it all depends on how long you have been fishing. First couple of years that I was fishing I remembering hightailing down the path to get to a particular pool. Now that I have been a serious fisherman for well over a decade I take it slower. Honestly the fish are not that important any more. The act of fishing is what is important.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 9:52

From Ephrata, PA
I keep meeting @ssholes on Lititz Run. I think they post here too. Salivasucker or something or other, and Tim Bonerson? Something like that.

Last Saturday at Ridley Creek there was a whole group of jackasses taking up all the good sunnie holes!

I'm a pretty shy guy in real life. If you guys ever see me, don't take my shiness as jackassness. I have a real issue w/ eye contact.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 10:01

Next time you fish volant and happen to notice a blue cavy in the parking lot look for the guy in a fishpond vest and black hat and say hi.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 10:55

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I must get lucky a lot. I've had relatively few negative encounters with fishermen overall. Most have been respectful and friendly.

Now, I've been screwed up by other guys a lot. But most of the time it's a situation where they don't know I'm there and cut me off, or I don't know they're there and find out later I fished behind them all day.

Unavoidable stuff like that. But not etiquette issues.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 11:14

Since I have always been a reciprocating type by nature,if you met me on a stream you would think i was a genuinely nice guy or a certifiable SOB.:}

Posted on: 2011/10/20 11:20

From Other side of the tracks
LOL! good one Pete.

Several years back I bumped into a young lad of about 12 or 13. Somebody must have taught him some manners because I felt he went over and above in his efforts to be courteous. I seen him coming just as I started moving to a new spot. He clearly could have jumped in there ahead of me, but he didn't. To make a long story short,... I was so impressed, I thanked him for his courteousness and let him have that entire stretch.

That was on an opening day, too.

I must be like Pat. I have many pleasant encounters, and very few unpleasant. And I'm sure if I bumped into Pete that I would think he was a genuinely nice guy.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 13:03

From Cumberland
Once at the boiling springs i was fishing the run when some middle aged man and two twenty yearolds came up and started fishing were i was fishing, I didn't say anything. A couple minutes later he started throwing big rocks where i was fishing saying I was spooking the fish.

Thats about the only negative encounter i have ever had though.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 16:07

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Once at the boiling springs i was fishing the run

^^Found your mistake right there...

Posted on: 2011/10/20 16:10

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

roosters977 wrote:
Once at the boiling springs i was fishing the run when some middle aged man and two twenty yearolds came up and started fishing were i was fishing, I didn't say anything. A couple minutes later he started throwing big rocks where i was fishing saying I was spooking the fish.

Thats about the only negative encounter i have ever had though.

You should of smacked that jackwagon in the head! Then ask the other two punks if they wanted some of that? Ignore people like this, and they'll continue doing the same crap to other folks.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 16:29

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com