Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 8'6" vs. 9' 5 weights...

From Philadelphia
Ok, everybody has to scroll up and read KeithS and in our virtual world nominate him/her for innuendo post of the year.

That said, what I read is that longer is better for nymphing(did I just write that?) simply because we can keep more line off the water and reduce the number of cross currents between where we are and where we think a fish might be. If fishing drys, I don' think it matters. I have an eight ft. 5wt. Winston bought 20 years ago that lands a dry perfectly at 30 feet as long as I don't get in the way, which, unfortunately, is all to often.

Last word, I love my Winston but today wouldn't spend money for anything more than what St. Croix puts out. It's fishing.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/6/18 20:20

From Lansdale
I was afraid of that. I tried to word things to avoid it, but I failed.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 21:04

From S.E. PA
I prefer the 8'6" over the 9' rods. They seem to swing better for me...but then I'm not like most.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 21:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Coughlin wrote:
If fishing drys, I don' think it matters. I have an eight ft. 5wt. Winston bought 20 years ago that lands a dry perfectly at 30 feet as long as I don't get in the way, which, unfortunately, is all to often.

Last word, I love my Winston but today wouldn't spend money for anything more than what St. Croix puts out. It's fishing.
Coughlin

I don't know about the 5 wt but the Tom Morgan Favorite 8' 4 wt is pretty much the definitive dry fly rod for small to mid sized streams.

If I was looking for a "dry fly rod" in most PA waters, then I would look to the 8.5 4 wt in the b3x. However OP is not fishing typical PA water and is fishing the larger fisheries with larger fish. Those same fisheries are also those that tend to product wind and other adverse conditions. Therefore I would not be a huge fan of a 4 wt.

Having said all that, owning the Scott 5 wt he has (which I think is pretty much perfect for damn near anything), I would be looking at a 4 wt or 7 wt.

In closing I would assume that based upon your initial post that you are a newer fly fisherman. Further I would suggest that you slow down and take the time to learn to use what you have versus trying to buy gear to figure out "potential problems". Please understand when I say that I am not dismissing your quest for another great rod, but frankly you have an awesome rod that should take care of 90% of anything you run across in PA or frankly the US. I would suggest that additional money may be better spent in solid casting instruction from a FFF instructor. If I am off base and you have over 9,000 years of experience please forgive me.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 0:20

I am newer at fly fishing and I do love that Scott S4...I just am looking into options to have so that if I can cover all my bases...I have a shorter 4 weight (which I also really enjoy fishing) so maybe I am just becoming a gear junkie (that might be the tournament bass fisherman in me). I would like to try a slower action rod though...maybe that is what I am searching for...

For some reason, I have a hard time putting 6 weight line on a 5 to justify slowing it down. The S4 is amazing, but I think something a little slower would/could also benefit me. I don't want to just burn through money but rather keep it on a budget.

Even more confusing is reading 5 weight shootouts from 2011 vs. 2013 and the changes drastically in the results of some rods.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 9:52

From Dauphin PA
You are correct on the shootout results changing. One thing that didn't change was the rave reviews and reasonable price point for the St Croix Legend Elite. It's still a fast rod but much, much different than the S4. What part of the state do you live in? I've got gear from slow graphite of the 80's up to the newer stuff. You are welcome to demo and see which you like the feel of / matches your casting best.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 11:10

I am in NEPA...between Wallenpaupack and Scranton.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 11:22

I have heard/read great things about the Legend Elite series...how new is yours?

Posted on: 2013/6/19 11:23

From Dauphin PA
Mine are new...nano technology, arc technology, blah, blah. I'll be at the Delaware and/or Lackawanna in 2nd week July.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 12:55

Where on the Lackawanna?

Posted on: 2013/6/19 18:29

From Dauphin PA
To quote Dennis Skarka..... "in the water".

I have no idea but that's probably a good place to start.

Never fished that sewer but expect NickR or Becker to guide me.....and I don't tip. :)

Posted on: 2013/6/19 19:01

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com