2 hour drill.

captbugger

captbugger

I was out fishing today for two hours went to a stream that is
By my house. Lots of chubs and one nice rainbow. The water level is extremely low need rain. However, since i dont have time to travel anymore. Anyone else do the two hour drill because of the family being so busy.

I do the 2 hour drill after work a couple times during the week.

That's pretty much all of my fishing right now and I gotta say I'm loving it. Nothing has been so cherished as watching my kids grow and mature into productive successful members of society. I would not give one second of my family time back in exchange for more time fishing. I would not have traded one soccer game, swim meet, basketball game, or a single practice for a longer fishing trip. For me fishing does not even come close to the things I have enjoyed over the last 20 years.

My kids are just about all out on their own right now and have bright futures. Next year I will be able to fish where, when, and for however long I like. I am already missing all the activities so I should have plenty of time to catch up on fishing, at least until the grandkids come.

^^^ I heard that! Although my son is only 2, i can see where youre coming from. I cant wait till me and him do the 2 hr drill when he gets older.

Yes,with working 6 days a week I can only get out an hour or two at a time. Luckily I have a nice wild brownie stream 10 minutes away. But that limits me to just one stream but that's ok. I can still get out.

Happens to me a lot. Family first but I need to cleanse the soul every few days. I tend to get my local FFing before the kids/wife wake up or after the kids are to bed (both times which are prime right now for rising fish).

I didn't even touch a rod for 20 some years while my kids were growing up. I was involved in coaching and our lives took a great turn during those years. Now, they're both grown and I'm able to get my water time again. All of it is a positive.

Yeah, I have young kids, and the 2 hour drill went away at that point.

Now my fishing is pretty much once every 3 or 4 weeks, I get a full day to "escape". Plus jam week. Sometimes I can make it happen, and need to on occasion. But usually it's a coincidence where the wife is doing something with the kid where I'm not required (or sometimes desired). And I'm told "this would be a good time to go fishing", lol. Yes dear!

Jam week and deer season are my main escapes that are my doing, though. Look forward to my boy getting old enough to come with.

Enjoy those years with your kids as they are only a memory before you know it,been there done that!

I can wait until my three year old is old enough to start fishing with me independently.

I never ment it to look like I am upset thats all the time i have. It is just a shocker that yesterday was the first time I picked up my rod since may. However my daughter is two and I can say did land her first trout on the fly rod. Seeing her face was priceless when i pulled a 9 inch brookie close to her. She was screaming in joy. Fun times.

Your daughter's first fish is a good thing to remember to help you get through between drills.

I remember during those times I really wanted to go fishing and there were times where I got bummed out when I couldn't go fishing. Now looking back, I miss all the activities and just spending every waking second with the kids. I have daughters that I would take sunnie fishing but they got to an age where they didn't want to go anymore. I simply do not understand people who would rather go fishing over doing something, no matter how mindless, with their kids.

A long, long time ago....

I read a post on here that reported a two hour trip. I poo-pooed it saying I fished 12 hours at a pop and couldn't imagine such a short trip. The poster politely explained that if one knows when to fish, two hours is plenty of time. I didn't believe it, but now I do.

For most fisheries, knowing when to fish is a key component of success. I am not just speaking about the ideal time, but also the ideal weeks, weather conditions, flows, tides, water temps, etc. Knowing this and switching species and techniques (fly, spin, bait, and even ice fishing) will maximize the enjoyment of fishing, maximize success, and make those two hour or less adventures quite productive. Heck, even the lowly redbreast sunfish sometimes does not hit well until 45 min before dark, then all H breaks loose. My wife is now well educated on " the glory hour," which is how I got her to enjoy fishing. No three or four hr trips for her. You may want to try that approach with your kids.

Panfish at 8:27, right now. Booking dot yeah.

Back