Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: "THE MOVIE"

From Bozeman
I think he used his right hand to check his centerpin when fishing the heavy Montana runoff.

Seriously, I agree with the casting hand interpretations. If that wasn't intended, then it's a nice coincidence.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 14:48

From Greensburg, PA
the broken hand was in the book.

I always thought the funniest parallel between the book and the movie was how wen during the writing exercises he kept sending Norman back and saying, "again. half as long." Then you realize the book is only 128 pages the movie was three hours long and they took two fishing trips from the book and combined it into one in the movie.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 14:51

From Room 109
Quote:

JeffS wrote:
At the end of the movie, Rev. Maclean asks which hand of Paul's was broken. Norman responds, "His right." Rev. Maclean then walks up the stairs in what appears to be an even more depressed mood...

Curious to know how those on the board interpret this scene...

It went more like this

Reverend Maclean: Is there anything else you can tell me?
Norman Maclean: Nearly all the bones in his hand were broken.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:10

From Other side of the tracks
it appears that the coffee can up for sale is not the worm can used in the movie, rather it's a can used to store nails at the camp during Norman's childhood.

I'd consider bidding on the worm can.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:31

jayL – we have gone round and round with this centerpin stuff and enough is enough.

Please, if you check your centerpin with your right hand don’t let it contribute to runoff anywhere! (Just a joke and a play on words.)

Bruno – Sorry I misquoted. However, isn’t there a distinction as to which hand was broken in the movie?

No takers on the emphasis that Paul was “a dry fly fisherman” in the movie? That distinction caught my ear.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:36

From Bozeman
Quote:

JeffS wrote:
jayL – we have gone round and round with this centerpin stuff and enough is enough.

Please, if you check your centerpin with your right hand don’t let it contribute to runoff anywhere! (Just a joke and a play on words.)

Bruno – Sorry I misquoted. However, isn’t there a distinction as to which hand was broken in the movie?

No takers on the emphasis that Paul was “a dry fly fisherman” in the movie? That distinction caught my ear.

I originally wrote "pin", but changed it to "centerpin" for just that reason.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:39

From Other side of the tracks
there is some nice stuff being auctioned off at that site.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:39

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

JeffS wrote:

on here its never enough...

Quote:

Yes, it is almost exactly as it is in the book.

Quote:

I made that mistake before on here. Jack can quote it but the reference was made to all the apostles being fly fishermen and his favorite one being a dry fly fisherman.

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman. "

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:44

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed this discussion.

Good stuff tomg.

jayL – we jaw back and forth, but I hope it’s all good.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:18

From Bozeman
Quote:

JeffS wrote:
jayL – we jaw back and forth, but I hope it’s all good.

Of course. The internet is never serious business.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:23

From Room 109

The Reverend Maclean rises from the table to leave, digesting what Norman has told him, then pauses and continues:

Reverend Maclean: Which hand?
Norman Maclean: His right hand.

I have always seen this as his father wanting to know if he died fighting.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:28

Good deal.

Hopefully our paths cross after you hook a lunker.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:31

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Bruno wrote:

The Reverend Maclean rises from the table to leave, digesting what Norman has told him, then pauses and continues:

I took this as his fathers dissappointment that he had raised his hand to another. Being a preacher and all.....

Posted on: 2009/11/4 17:04

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman. "

One of my favorite fly fishing quotes...my second being this:

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Teach him to fly fish, he'll move to Montana."

Posted on: 2009/11/4 17:35

From Harrisburg
Quote:

Bruno wrote:

Dear Bruno,

Bingo!

Damn you Robert Redford!

The movie and the book are not about fly fishing, they are about a somewhat dysfunctional family. Fishing is just a background theme. They could have been tennis players or hikers and the book would have been the same.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/11/4 18:25
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com