"Pennsylvania has been called the Saudi Arabia of natural gas."

englishprof

englishprof

Posted this in Conservation Forum. I think it will get better exposure here and it should. This is incredible. By the way, governors can be recalled. Corbett is not only in bed with the gas guys, he's married to them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41806118/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/

This is unnacceptable.

I read the entire article and I am speechless. I don't even know where to begin. I have just taken in so much shockingly negative information that I can not comment.

I don't like how they shoe-horned the kids with asthma part in and even mentioned the already very low air quality in their area, then blame it on the gas well. I was really on board till I read that part. The author should have stuck to the improper treatment and radioactivity issues.

I'm not discredting the entire article. I'm just being critical of what is fed to us by the media.

Kev

Where in for a rought 4 years:
"From October 2008 through October 2010, regulators were more than twice as likely to issue a written warning than to levy a fine for environmental and safety violations, according to state data. During this period, 15 companies were fined for drilling-related violations in 2008 and 2009, and the companies paid an average of about $44,000 each year, according to state data.

This average was less than half of what some of the companies earned in profits in a day and a tiny fraction of the more than $2 million that some of them paid annually to haul and treat the waste.

In December, the Republican governor-elect, Tom Corbett, who during his campaign took more gas industry contributions than all his competitors combined, said he would reopen state land to new drilling, reversing a decision made by his predecessor, Edward G. Rendell. The change clears the way for as many as 10,000 wells on public land, up from about 25 active wells today.

In arguing against a proposed gas-extraction tax on the industry, Mr. Corbett said regulation of the industry had been too aggressive."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41806118/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/

This is just another example of chemicalphobia.... I mean really what's wrong with a little chemical additive in one's drinking water. The radiation.... Please this will help us keep track of our young one's after dark. Got to think of the positive's like job creation and shutting down the coal industry. I am so sick of this end of the world bullsh*t :roll: ;-) :lol:

it's even better when the water can be lit on fire!! makes it much easier to start a campfire! "honey, just throw some tap water on the woodpile and light a match!!"

What would they call the frozen methane gas trapped along the Florida coast. In the area of the Bermuda triangle where they did some experiments on trapped gas sinking boats. That to me would where I would try to extract gas from, as the waste water would go into the ocean for dilution and the only environmental laws would be UN. Are UN regulations more strict than US EPA and PA DEC?

mrflyfish wrote:
Are UN regulations more strict than US EPA and PA DEC?

LOL @ the UN. Since we pretty much pay for them, they can either STFU or GTFO.

Wow. I'm totally blown away by this article.

Part of the problem is that industry has outpaced regulators. “We simply can’t keep up,” said one inspector with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection who was not authorized to speak to reporters. “There’s just too much of the waste.”
“If we’re too hard on them,” the inspector added, “the companies might just stop reporting their mistakes.”

If this article is correct with all of the data they provide, and I believe it to be, I think it is time to have some of our Conservation groups, PATU comes to mind, to file suit. Not a lawsuit to stop the drilling. A lawsuit to have DEP enforce the very regulations that are on the books as they exist right now. The news coming out on a regular basis about what is going on in this industry makes me sick. I am on the Board of my local TU Chapter and will bring this up. Our Chapter brought suit against DEP a few years ago to have them enforce storm water regulations in regards to a EV stream and we prevailed. It seems like it is time again to put the gloves on.

andyp, that is a very good idea. I hate to hear that corbett wants to lighten up enforcement of current regs, which aren't even strong enough to begin with. most of these regs were put in place before the fracing madness began. I still think NY is on the ball with putting a hold on things till further research is done and regulations are in place to monitor the industry.
if enough groups get together, remember, there is strength in numbers, and start a class action suit, maybe then the state government will listen.
I like the quote in the article about burning the furniture to heat the house. perfect.

I wish our leaders would feel like you folks do!!!!! Aren't they supposed to represent our views , even if they don't agree with them? It's their job to vote OUR way. If you folks ran the show it would STILL get done but it would get done a little more slowly and carefully and safely. I don't know what to say to make you feel any better , i'm sick of this end of the world #OOPS# too , the only thing i can think of is to say you folks are great.

Its incredible how ignorant the peoples of Pennsylvania are to the topic. People talk to hear themselves talk, regardless of the stupidity found in what they say.

TossinFlies................To start out with calling all your friends and neighbors stupid is not the most diplomatic way for an individual to go about accomplishing something. Instead of polarization what we need is organization. Come together instead of every man for himself , which if you think everyone is stupid , might be difficult for you. Go to the person who you think is the less stupid of them all and start there , try to concentrate on the issues you agree on and ya go from there , as you progress bring in like minded , albeit stupid , others to join in your endeavor. That's how you start a grass roots movement and IMHSO That's what we need.

tossinflies, please explain your point of view.

bikerfish.............."People talk to hear themselves talk . " are you stupid r somethin?

I think he saying unless walmart closes down, or the tap water puring out of their kitchen sink catches on fire, you'll never get the majority of the populations attention over frac drilling..

We are stupid-these gas and oil men are licking their chops all the way to the bank..It goes all the way up the food chain, to the highest office in the land-they hear you, but nobody is listening..

Explain who the gas and oil men are-one would assume they are publicly traded companies that pay dividends while providing a needed product?

osprey, yep!!! Im kinda dumb to!!LOL
from what he typed, I don't know where he's coming from.

pete,

Some times i have to ask myself "are you for real?"

Gas and oil men are anyone and every one making obscene profits in the speculative energy trading markets.

Back