Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Something's been bugging me...!

From Harrisburg
Hey all, got some quick questions.

First, I saw this first crazy bug streamside the other day. Not sure what it is (looks like some sort of ant?), so I thought I'd ask some experts.

Click to see original Image in a new window

And then this morning I found THIS floating in my fish tank. The tank is in my house, and there's really no way I could imagine a bug getting in there. Strange!

Posted on: 2012/5/17 18:51

Re: Something's been bugging me...!
From Dallastown, PA
The second one is a golden stonefly. They can be in the streambed for two years as nymphs so if you put anything in there a couple years ago that may have come from a clean creek or river, It may have hatched.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 19:18

From Harrisburg
Here's the thing - This aquarium is completely brand new. Been running for about 2 months now, and completely from Petco as well.

.. I have to admit, though, I did throw in ONE wild visitor a few weeks ago.

But SURELY there's no way there was a nymph attached to him, right??

Posted on: 2012/5/18 1:17

From Dallastown, PA
Hey it could have crawled up under your gravel guard hitch-hiked home with you, hatched and then found your aquarium to lay eggs. But lemme guess, you have a lid on the tank.

You are a fisherman, you found an aquatic insect in your home....not a big surprise.

Is that a helgermite? Wait til that hatches.....it'l' be like a bird flying through the house.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 7:55

From Harrisburg
Haha yes on all accounts. I had my suspicions that it was a stonefly, but I had little background knowledge on non-mayflies, so I wanted to ask here.

I live within a quarter mile of the susquehanna, and though the windows are closed, I'm pretty sure he found a way in.

I had let the hellgrammite go free after taking a few pics to avoid just that scenario you mentioned! Thanks for the info!

Posted on: 2012/5/18 10:55

From Luzerne County, PA
I would not let that 1st insect crawl on my arm, no clue what it is but red is a warning sign.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 17:53

From Harrisburg
Eek.. after looking online, I can't find any way to identify that insect! Sure looks like an ant, but no mandibles or anything

Posted on: 2012/5/20 23:29

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
looks like a ant killer, type of wasp..

Posted on: 2012/5/23 6:44

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
The first pic is a wheel bug nymph/hatchling. Big and brown when adults. But I think there's only 1 generation a year, they hatch in May, so they'd all be nymphs/hatchlings this time of year. Predators.

They do have a very nasty bite, much worse than a bee or wasp bite. I know cause I got stung by one as a kid. That I still remember it should be a warning! The pain was excruciating, and then the area swells up and goes completely numb for like a week. Then the skin dies and sloughs off leaving an ugly open wound that you gotta keep clean. At least 2 weeks till your normal again.

See last picture on this page, that's your bug.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/trees/wheel_bug.htm

Posted on: 2012/5/23 8:13

Edited by pcray1231 on 2012/5/23 8:37:34

From Harrisburg
My God! I lucked out!

I am guessing that they either aren't able to penetrate human skin as a nymph or that I am very lucky. That bite sounds excruciating!

Posted on: 2012/5/25 0:01

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
They are able to penetrate skin as nymphs. Easily. They have like a spear, I think they specialize in piercing beetle shells.

I've no clue how aggressive they are. But I certainly wouldn't put one on my skin!

Posted on: 2012/5/25 7:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com