Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Small Big Spring Sculpin
From Monessen, PA
If I take a bread-tie and twist it into a coil and throw it on the floor, he thinks it is prey and will slap it around endlessly.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 12:38

From Northwest Pa
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
Quote:
What does "imitate" mean to a trout? They are dumber than my cat and he is D-U-M-B, dumb!

You should try throwing a big black sculpin to your cat (as long as you cut the hook point off first)

Be careful as the cat will chew up the sculpin and bite yer flyline in half.....Got the fly line to prove it...

Posted on: 2012/1/22 19:36

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I remember that post. I sure was a newbie back then. I don't fish sculpins very often and need to change that this year. Now I just need to tie some. Thanks for the pic Sal.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 11:09

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From lancaster county
Quote:
In streamer fishing matching the natural is secondary to having a fly that is visible to the fish. It doesn't matter how accurately you match a typical food source if fish don't see your imitation. Black and white will usually outfish more realistic imitations simply because fish can see them from a greater distance in typical conditions. Of course, sometimes trout will chase a black streamer only until they get close enough to see that it isn't food - that's when you switch to something more realistic.

+1 on this also.

Or you can use a more natural looking streamer, fish it more erratic and give extra life to get the attention of fish.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 7:04

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

brookiesofpa wrote:
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
Quote:
What does "imitate" mean to a trout? They are dumber than my cat and he is D-U-M-B, dumb!

You should try throwing a big black sculpin to your cat (as long as you cut the hook point off first)

Be careful as the cat will chew up the sculpin and bite yer flyline in half.....Got the fly line to prove it...

OMG, that happened to me.....my neighbor (a kid in culinary school) came to me knowing I flyfished and offered me his two clearwater rods and orvis reels for sale. He needed money and didn't fish much. I said I really didn't need them but let me check them out. next day when I came home they were on the porch. I put the one I didn't already have together and started casting int he yard....cat came over and I looked down and before you knew it he bit the line in half. Like 20 ft from the leader.

I did the "did anyone see that" head spin and quickly coiled up the end, bit off the leader and retied it on to the "new" end.

Reeled it up and took the whole mess back.

I later bought the whole group when he asked again....

Posted on: 2012/1/26 8:16

From Mount Joy, PA
That's a wicked looking streamer! I bet that really comes to life in the water.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 8:17

From Delaware Co.
Here is my big spring sculpin

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/1/27 6:23

From LV

Posted on: 2012/1/30 0:46

From lancaster county
Just wanted to re visit this thread with a sculpin our very own Tim R. caught this weekend. Its a big one and pretty much the size I tie my patterns to chase big cumberland valley trout.

I found bot the red eye and the orange dorsal interesting.
I have a bunch of red eyes for sculpin patterns. Looks like I'm going to have to use them very soon.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 19:20

From Ephrata, PA
Dude I saw that on FB. Couldn't believe the size of that slimmy nasty thing. I was of the opinion your sculpins may be too big, but then I saw that barfer and thought, "Meh...maybe not!"

Posted on: 2013/2/26 11:07

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
62 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com