Hexagenia bilineata

turkey

turkey

I'm fairly sure that these are Hexagenia bilineata (if I'm wrong please let me know). They came from the Allegheny River near Pittsburgh. Some key features would be the dark border on the hind wings and having 2 tails. I couldn't find too much information on these particular Hex's so if anyone is familiar with them please don't hold back.

2012-06-24_09-30-27_39640x480.jpg

2012-06-24_09-35-58_494640x480.jpg

It would seem the Allegheny River has a thriving population of Hexegenia, probably several subspecies. Why don't we have these great hex hatches on the Yough?

I would think that there have to be Hex's on the lowest section of the Yough. I've seen them on the gas pumps at the station near my house, so they're in the Mon and the Yough joins the Mon not far from there. Maybe the water is too cold for them as you get closer to Confluence. I stopped at Ohiopyle tonight and walked a mile or so on the trail. I saw 2, literally, 2 cahills come off. That was it. Nothing rising. A reliable hatch of big bugs would be great there.

Well, I don't know the in's and out's of what types of pollution they can handle. But I do know there is a pretty good population in the KISKI river. While the Kiski has been cleaned up some, it has a long history of mine acid issues.

The Monongahela River in the Morgantown/Pt. Marion area has a crazy Hex hatch this week. It's kinda surprising at night. My wife and I were crossing a bridge and she said it looks like it's snowing. Kinda did with all the mayflies in the street lights. Everything was covered. The parked cars appeared to have hair as did the sidewalks and buildings. Pretty wild sight.

They are a sign of the improving water conditions supposedly. Hard to believe with all that flows into the Mon and the temps that it reaches in the summer. I have read and they prefer a silty bottom to burrow in rather than freestone streams like most mayflies.

I'll try to get some pics/video in the next couple days.

Yes, the nymphs are burrowers, and thus they occur over silty bottoms. This is true of the drakes too, though.

Funny article I found.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/anglers-hexed-mayflies

I especially like the one comment from a member here!

"Stupid Bass Anglers!!!" Great quote Ryan!

Something had to be said... lol

Back