Green weenie and sucker spawn

drumat26

drumat26

Even after fly fishing for 2 years i still consider myself a beginner. I am slowly tring to figure out hatches and more patterns to tie to match those hatches. I fish Clark's and stony alot. I want to start fishing some more streams with the potential of some bigger fish. My question is when and where should i use the green weenie the sucker spawn? Last year i remember seeing a few conversations on the forum about the sucker spawn but hadnt tied any at that point. I have caught a few fish on the green weenie this year but most of my success has come on fb pheasant tails, rs2 in bwo color, and wired stonefly nymphs. Id like to expand my fly box and start catching more fish on more patterns so any other suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance for your input!

I'm certainly no expert on Clarks and Stony.

Sucker Spawn - generally good for rainbows ANYTIME. Especially stocker bows, but even wild ones. They also work very well for browns at certain times. Generally these times are when they are following spawning fish. For instance, during the sucker run in early spring, you can sometimes find pods of spawning suckers, ringed by trout behind them which are actively feeding on the spawn. Or in the great lakes, when browns follow the steelhead in.

Green Weenie - ha. well. It probably imitates a number of things. Clarks is pretty famous for it's inchworm "hatch" in mid-summer. I think the green weenie is also a decent representation of egg patterns, the "pink weenie" even moreso. I've also seen trout feeding on grasshoppers that respond well to green weenies. I've heard people say it represents a caddis larva too. All of the above are probably true at different times. And aside from any particular event, it's a pretty good search pattern that can elicit an aggressive response even from fish that aren't actively feeding on anything.

Chartreuse sucker spawn is particularly effective on brown and brook trout just an observation. White wooly buggers in early spring are good on stockies. Clark's can be tough at times so don't be disappointed if you get skunked at times. The water outside the fly area is often better so don't be afraid to venture to other areas on the stream if the fly area trout are being finicky. Orange ants are effective on area streams.

Late march and early April for sucker spawn.
The green weenie will work all year in the right situation. But the best time is during the spring and summer use it at the heads of pools where there is a deep run into the pool and under overhanging branches along the banks in any depth of water fast moving or slow. They work well even when you don't see fish rising.

Back