Great Brown Autumn Sedge

BradFromPotter

BradFromPotter

While packing the 4Runner to head down to Assateague to camp & fish for the next week,this big guy was resting on the 4Runner. Have seen several the last couple of days on the windows at home.
7990111615_96a3d7c90d_o.jpg

turned back porch light on this morning and they were every where..

Will they be around for a while? Like Oct 7 thru 12?

What size are these? Is this whats refereed to as an eastern october caddis?

IT one of the fall caddis. When I was up 2 weeks ago the caddis hatching were a # 12 and a # 16. The trout were only taking them with a trailing shuck.

Could someone post a fly pattern that shows an adult caddis with trailing shuck? (Sorry I'm new to this!)

Typically its just an Elk Hair Caddis with a short clump of z-lon attached at the bend.

An easy trick to create them on the stream is to cut a small piece of nylon from a womans stocking and hang it off the hook bend.

But first ask before cutting them off her. It is only proper. :-D

Sipe, you should ask this in the fly tying or beginner forum. you will get more responses.

Bumpy bump. Won't be long until these guy start showing up.

My guess would be stenophylax (sp??) or cinnamon sedge. They are a big bug that begins as a stick caddis, but I've never seen enough togather at one time to bring on much of a concerted rise to them.

I believe it's Pycnopsyche guttifer. They are the ones most commonly referred to as great brown Autumn sedges. However, I couldn't find much info on Stenophylax.

Which central Pa streams have these?

BillPress wrote:
My guess would be stenophylax (sp??) or cinnamon sedge. They are a big bug that begins as a stick caddis, but I've never seen enough togather at one time to bring on much of a concerted rise to them.

Its a sporadic hatch all day and prospecting can produce. I tie mine in a #14. The real spectical is in late afternoon (4-5 pm) when they move upstream in waves about a foot off the water. The fish seem to figure this out and over large flat pools fish will launch themselves out of the water into the swarm. Strangely the trout don't seem to react to a drifting dry at this time. Or at least not one headed downstream.

But fish an area from above and jerk your fly upstream out of the water and let it fall and some takes are experienced. The fly almost has to hover over the water for fish to become interested. Its a strange and frustrating experience.

Albud, Muddy has them. We call them the October Caddis. Cinnamon caddis. #14 hook, rusty tan dubbing, tan deer hair down wing. Oversized palmer hackle to keep them high above film.

Hey Al,
Just got back from Penns and it was full on the last 5 days. The porch screen at camp was covered with them every night.
Even though the water temps were great with this unusual warm weather, the bulk of the hatch occurred at dark and was over at about 8AM. The hatch usually Kicks in when the leaves fall. The best daytime fishing seems to occur with cold inclement weather.
Haven't seen you around in a while. You still come upere?

Lonewolve,
Pycnopsyche (Pick-no-sike-ee) is October caddis. aka..Stick-Worms.
Pinkish orange robust body. with a brownish orange wing. About a size 12 to 10 4XL hook.
Pupa emerge near the shoreline. Tactics of twitching, skittering or plopping seem to work best for me. I don't target specific holding lies. I look for a natural bouncing along the water and cast in that vicinity. The trout seem to like to hunt for them and will cruise the pools looking up. I've seen trout jump completely out of the water to nab those caddis in flight. I don't do well dead drift. I think it's the movement that triggers the take.

October caddis, Hancock NY, October 5 2013.

WP_20131005_005.jpg

Back