Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

anyone know this mayfly?

From Pittsburgh
I saw these mayflies right around dark on 5/26 on the Allegheny near Pittsburgh. It looks like a hex but a little smaller. I initially thought it was a yellow drake but they only had 2 tails. Hex's aren't suppose to emerge for several months...any thoughts?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Posted on: 2012/5/27 11:08

Re: anyone know this mayfly?

From LV
There are Hexs on the Allegheny R. this time of the year. It could also be an isonychia, but it's a bit too greennish yellow for that.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 11:15

From western pa
I'd say Hex for sure!

Posted on: 2012/5/27 20:54

From Pittsburgh
You guys were absolutely right. They are hex's. I went back yesterday evening and found some of the bigger females. I firmly assumed that these bugs only have one concentrated hatch towards the end of summer. I can't recall ever seeing them this early in the year.

A mild storm rolled through right at sundown and like clockwork, there were hundreds of them riding the surface of the river and swarming the floodlights. I tried fishing them but the fish didn't seem too interested.

Thanks Chaz and Wildtrout for the responses.

Photobucket

Posted on: 2012/5/28 10:42

From Monessen, PA
Hex, male, spinner is obvious. It is the only mayfly to hatch in good numbers on the lower Allegheny. I saw them on TV while watching the Pirates sweep Chi-town this weekend.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 11:44

I've been hearing about these huge Hex hatches on the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh for years. Have any of you ever gone there to fish the hatch? And if so, how was it?

Posted on: 2012/5/28 12:09

From Pittsburgh
I've tried a few times. I've never had much luck. I watched with a headlamp last night and the only fish that I saw paying any attention to the bugs were a gar, a catfish that was cruising the surface, and mooneyes. I didn't see any smallmouth. I'll go out again and watch tonight.

Mooneyes seem to really like them,
Photobucket

Posted on: 2012/5/28 13:18

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Hex, male, spinner is obvious. It is the only mayfly to hatch in good numbers on the lower Allegheny. I saw them on TV while watching the Pirates sweep Chi-town this weekend.

Jack go to Donzi's for a beer some night this week.....look at the lanterns outside and inside the joint. Its elbow to elbow sulphurs. So its not only hexes.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 15:47

From LV
Mooneyes? looks like a shad to me.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 22:29

From Pittsburgh
Maybe it is a shad. I thought i read somewhere that there werent any shad in this section of the river. What i dont know is a lot.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 22:35

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Alwife ---- cousin to shad can survive in freshwater year round...stocked as food fish for larger species..

Posted on: 2012/5/29 6:11

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
In the lower river, I'd not expect too much. Farther north, as you approach the Kinzua dam, they are very well liked by a lot of fish, including trout and smallies. They also come off many of the tributaries, some of which harbor wild trout.

They're typically close to drake time, maybe a week or so later on average. It's not a late summer thing.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 8:05

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
It's not a late summer thing.

I've personally seen hexes in good numbers starting about this time of the year and still going into August. Granted, the heaviest hatches seem to be around the beginning of July on my local creeks, but I've also seen them in good numbers mixed in with whiteflies and also into mid august.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 10:49

From Ohio
Definitely a mooneye.

I caught this one 2 years ago on a tributary to the Ohio River. Emailed it to the ODNR to see if it was a mooneye or goldeye(look almost the same) and they said it was a mooneye.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_6754w.JPG (68.26 KB)
5091_4fc52228a23a6.jpg 448X175 px

Posted on: 2012/5/29 15:23

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Does this mean we'll be fishing the white flies on the 4th of July? My experience with hexes in western Pa has been July/August not late May.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 16:17

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com