Zippered Waders

K

Kilwell

Does anyone on here use waders that zip up in the front? If so how do you like them and does the zipper leak?

I have always had a hankering for a pair, especially when wading into a cold stream after my fourth cup of morning coffee but could never bring myself to shell out $700 for the Simms zip ups. I saw Hodgman Guidelite Breathable Stockingfoot Waders with Storm Waterproof Zipper on sale at Cabela's for $99.99 (under Father's day gifts) and ordered a pair.

Couldn't find any reviews on them but have used and liked Hodgman waders in the past. At least for me, they last just as long as more expensive brands.

Killwell,
Just got a pair of Redington Sonic Pro Zipfronts, i have been out twice since i got them and i am very happy and i was willing to shell out for the Simms G4Z zippered,but now i have 350+ more clams in my pocket to spend on a Greys 11' 4 wt.

If I may concur,my last pair of breathable waders were Redington Barrierflex stockingfoot,and they lasted approximately 14 years before I bought these and i could still wear these as well .
they did not ever have a leak untill three years ago.The material looked wrinkeled and was compromised so i did the alcohol thing and fixed the pinholes and wore them untill they leaked where the booties attach to the legs.I also wore these waders at least 150-200 days a year for the first four years and i was extremely careful around wild rose/wild blackberry/and devil's club.the only mistake i probably ever did to shorten their life was by putting my waders away folded and wet.They smelled terrible and got mildewed so i had to scrub them lightly, i also washed them with prewash{revivex} and then retreated them with revivex just like my wading jackets. I have never had any water penetration by doing this.
I have a buddy that was a confirmed Hodgeman breathable guy...he wears Simms G3's now.
The only two hodgeman waders i can swear by are my Lakestream 5 mm thinsulate bootfoot neoprene and they don't make that model any longer, and i would not hesitate to buy their hip boots with felt soles till the felt is banned in Pa.
Hope this Helps
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Had a pair of the simms freestone zip fronts. They leaked almost right away, so I only really had them for a cup of coffee. I did like the zipper feature, but feel that my g3 convertibles provide just as much/more freedom, comfort, and easy on-off.

I had 3 bad pair of redingtons last year. All 3 had zippers that became unattached. They never leaked until the seams malfunctioned. I am using old g3's now and I may reorder the sonic pros.

A few years ago more than 5, I ran into a Asian guy selling wafer seconds at the hometown auction. They were proline breathables and I scored em for 30 bucks. While they don't zipper the things still don't leak!!!! If I had to pay full price for waders I think I may use him again..... just food for.thought.

I have the zip up Hodgmans and have no problems at all. The zipper works great and does not leak at all. They are comfortable and I can **** without having to remove all my gear. I bought them from the hodgman website when they had a sale. Purchashed for $80.

I had the Dan Baily Zip Front's..... leaked within a month... I recently heard a bunch of Dan Bailey's were recalled for bad zippers. As much as it is convenient for a great many things, I think it is one more thing to go wrong.

I wouldn't buy them.

I have received and used my Hodgman Streamlite waders three times and love them, mainly for the reason SteelheadWhisperer menitoned, can drink all the coffee I want now before fishing. The zipper works well and doesn't leak so far and I often leave it unzipped when fishing in shallow water. They are reinforced with an extra layer on the knees and across the butt. I now find myself leaving the Silver Labels at home and wearing the Hodgmans. A nice, comfortable back support wading belt come with them.

I suppose it's like anything else - some guys love them and others don't. I wasn't aware of the Redington Sonic Pro's or would have checked them out, they sound like a good middle of the road option for zip up waders.

Thanks to all for your input.

Back