WJ Confluence

KeithS

KeithS

I scored one on ebay over the weekend. I'm vertically challenged and looking to keep my gear drier. I had heard they fit the larger sized guys well. Hopefully, it will work well for the winter when I have more clothing on. Anyone have any insights ?

I have had the Confluence for about three years and enjoy William Joseph gear a lot. I like the pack because it gave my casting arm more room. I did change up to the William Joseph Exodus pack this year because I wanted more room to hike and carry my photo gear too. That model works well when Maurice has me on some Lewis and Clark hiking/fishing trips.

I think William Joseph products are very well built and will last a long time. A good pick.

Love it.

I had the zipper model for 2 years and switched over to the magnet ones the last 2. Been pretty happy with it for 4 years.

Thanks, guys. Becker, I saw you in yours at the last newbie jam and it seemed to be really convenient. i just hope it adjusts small enough for me.

I've also had mine for about 3 years now. I really like it. It has held up well and looks almost new. Its the perfect size for most trips- big enough to carry all your flies, a rain, jacket, snacks, and water but not too bulky. The magnet feature is really nice and you can rest flies on it while you tie tippet on etc. The only thing i don't like about mine is that it rests right where i like to put the fighting butt when leveraging big fish. Other than that minor issue its been great.

I think you will like the Confluence. It can be adjusted fairly well, their gear holds up well, and they have good customer service, if you ever need to use it. Most of my chest and fanny packs are made by Willy J, ranging in size from the Mini I up through the Exodus. The oldest is probably going on ten years old and I just added a Flux and a Atoll fanny pack into the mix.

Brown delivered the Confluence today.There really isn't anything detailed in any description I was able to find anywhere. I had to buy one to really see one. I'm going to get a bunch of pictures up soon. I tried it on as soon as I walked in from work.
To put it into perspective, I'm 5'5", 130 lbs. The chest pack adjusts down small enough to fit me with just a t-shirt on. I read the shoulder straps may be too far apart for a smaller guy. I don't agree. They fit me just fine. The pack shortens to the point that my stuff won't get wet when I'm waist deep.
I'm going to get a bunch of pictures up soon. I'm just glad I like it. We'll see how it fishes.

An update. I finally got to fish with it yesterday. I almost forgot I was wearing the pack. The only thing I think is missing is a rod holder. It's a small thing, but it's nice to have both arms and hands free to change flies, adjust tippet, etc.
For more accurate information, I took some measurements. I wasn't able to get these from anywhere during my search.
The front section is 13"wide by 8" tall. The two pockets measure 11" wide by 7" tall, that's the rear, zippered pocket with the fly tray / work surface. The front, zippered pocket is 7"wide by 3 1/2" tall. It's large enough to stack 3 tippet spools on the elastic corded tippet holder and stack 3 others,not attached to the pack, off to the other side. There are a couple of triangular pockets with zippers on each side at the lower corners, but they seem pointless, due to being so small.
The rear pack is 10 1/2" wide by about 9" tall. There are 3 pockets. They are 10 1/2" wide by 8" tall by 4" deep, 9" wide by 8" tall and flat and 7"wide by 8" tall and flat. I can carry a rain jacket, a bottle of water and wool hat in the largest pocket. The others I haven't needed yet.
The shoulder straps are 12 1/2" wide. I was concerned they would want to slide off, as one review I read on another forum suggested. They did not. They will allow the pack, laid out flat on the floor to adjust from a total length of 31" to 35". That doesn't sound like a lot, but remember it fit me, a vertically challenged individual. Others of the unfortunately tall denomination have said they are comfortable with the pack.
If I can figure out how to get my photos from Shutterfly posted, I will.

Thanks for the specifics KeithS. I actually just ordered the Confluence. Good info to have.

I use the little side pockets for froggs fanny on one side and Split shot in the other. Just an idea for everyone. The only complaint I have is there's no good spot to hang my landing net. Has anyone figured something out for that?

I use magnets attached on the little black thing directly in the middle on the back.

Is that on the top or bottom of the pack? I have mine on the big loop on top of the pack and I zip tied my magnet in place so it doesn't slide around the loop and make me look like an idiot trying to find it. However I still have trouble getting it on there.

I zip tied mine to the black, rubber tab, on the left side of the rear. the handle is easy to get to and the net is hanging out of the way. It's hung from the ring on the end of the handle.

Lower

Lower what ?

Lol sorry, post was directed towards hedge.

Got it... Thanks. Does your net hang in the water then?

No, I have the net opening attached on the side of the opening so the handle is aimed at my left hand.

That sounds like a pretty good idea I might have to try that out. So it essentially sits sideways on your lower back then correct?

Correct.

Back