Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

why all the hate?

It seems that on fly fishing forums people always seem to say bad things about orvis and how they are the evil empire and stuff like that. Why is is this, is there something about them that I dont know about? Im pretty sure that most of their fly rods are made in the usa right? isnt that a good thing? seems thats what a lot of the die hard fly anglers want right?

Posted on: 2008/3/28 12:55

Re: why all the hate?

From Bozeman
I don't hate em.

Ironically, when I went to click this link, I hovered over the topic below it. The tooltip that pops up and has the first line of the last post in that thread started as follows: "Orvis has some quality..."

For what it's worth.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:14

From Monessen, PA
I have heard some comments about Orvis as an "evil empire" but by no means is that a universal sentiment. I think their stuff is typically of appropriate quality for the price. They have always treated me well on customer service issues. I don't buy high-end items from them or anyone else, but if I hit the lottery, I already have plans to replace my equipment with some of the better items from the Orvis catalogue. Then anglers can snicker at me behind my back saying I just stepped out of an Orvis catalogue-- and they'll be absolutely correct. One item I really covet is the CFO reel.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:54

It's not really hate, it's jealousy. That always comes with success.

Ya may get the same reaction if ya mention Microsoft, the NY Yankees,
Wal-Mart, Warren Buffet, and on and on.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:57

From Monessen, PA
I agree with Mark, except with regard to the Yankees-- that is pure hate.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:32

From Enola, Pa.
I've been dealing with Orvis for many years. All that time I've never had that many problems with their gear, when I did they took good care of me.

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/3/28 16:02

From Altoona, PA
America loves an underdog, until it wins. Then we turn on it, slander it and run it out of town.

Except for Walmart. They are evil.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/25/walmart.insurance.battle/

Posted on: 2008/3/28 19:02

I buy all kinds of stuff from orvis, mainly because I'm newer to the sport and it seemed like the best way to go.
1. reel
2 waders
3. wading boots
4. strike indicators...
5. tippet
6. net
7. line and backing
8. gravel guards
9. a couple tying materials

Maybe a few more things, but anyway, yeah I shop at orvis.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 20:10

From Lock Haven, PA
I don't like Orvis personally because to me its city slicker gear. But I do own some of their products mainly for the warantees.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 20:29

From Olyphant PA

Posted on: 2008/3/29 11:00

From Carlisle
When I first started fly fishing I was kind of against orvis, because I thought their stuff was a bit steep. Then I tried their stuff and now I buy a decent amount of stuff from them, but only if it's on sale or something. It's definitely worth the price.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 14:37

People joke around a lot about Orvis (which is not exactly the same as hate.)

The reason people enjoy joking around about Orvis: ----
DOG BEDS!

Posted on: 2008/3/29 16:32

The local Orvis store has been great to us. They special order us stuff, even small speciality items when we need them and we get a 15% TU discount. Right now if you're looking for wader's with a 36" inseam, size large, with a size 13 stocking foot for a 6'4" teen that lives in water the PG3 waders fit and have a good reputation for lasting. You can't get Simms in talls or many others. Hey I say buy what suits you and won't get you divorced. I have a friend that just bought a Helios and he loves it! I'd probably shut it in a car door.

I fish with an old Fenwick, my son has a sage and a G. Loomis. We both love our Korkers. We shop TCO at State College, Dick Ackourey's (more often if closer) and Gander here at home. (You can always find something at Gander.) For mail order if you can't make the drive Cabelas has treated us awesome as well. AND if you in the Nicholson area on rt 92 stop and see Ron at Rons flies. We still stop by even if we don't need anything.

Also I hate Walmart too! Just a scary place but I go there too if Im absolutely pressed to.

I say support who treats you right.

Instead of beating on Orvis maybe a review of some of our favorite shops and why we like them. I'm always up for shopping somewhere new. It would come in handy if I'm not fishing on familar waters.

Posted on: 2008/3/30 12:56

seems like not everybody hates orvis after all lol. Ive heard orvis been called for city slickers too a couple of times as well as snobby and other similar terms. why is this, manchester is pretty far from a city, its probably more like volant pa than a city lol. As far as being snobby, I would think that the mega priced stuff like sage, hardy, and the others would be the ones classified as snobby becuase I think orvis is a little cheaper overall than those brands right?

Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:01

From Monessen, PA
Orvis is the "white-collar" outfitter. Most of this "city slicker" mentality is from those who think if you haven't milked a cow or chopped wood to keep warm rather than create ambience, you aren't entitled to be an outdoorsman. That's my take anyway.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 7:09

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
125 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com