Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Which Lines to Buy?

I need to pick up 2 new lines, a 3 weight and a 5 weight, I see Rio Avid Trout on sale for $34.95, and I see Allen ATS for $39.99? Which do I go for? Or is there something better for around same price or less?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 10:11

Re: Which Lines to Buy?

Rio over Allen... at any price

Posted on: 2013/8/13 10:18

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

slumdumb wrote:
Rio over Allen... at any price

so quick to judge...

Would you buy a relabled RIO line sold through another company's name for $20 less than the same line through RIO?

What are you fishing for ponner? Typical trout set ups? Looking for WF?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 11:22

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

Hi Risen, typical trout setups, either wf or dt... Maybe I should check out your lines?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 11:28

You can, people love our lines. Allens ATS are basically Cortland lines from what I can tell. Very good quality lines as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 11:32

From Dauphin PA
I'd go DT on the 3 weight and WF on the 5. I think Allen and Bass Pro lines are made by Cortland. Cabelas line is made by SA. Fished Cortland line for over 20 yrs. Switched to Rio and never looked back.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:43

i'm not one for buying cheap imported junk fly line ... where the only technical feature is the color

Alibaba.com is not the place to buy fly lines

I prefer to buy quality products that perform to an expected level

and "basically [a] Cortland" line... SCREAMS knock off sub par
why spend $25/$20 for a knock off when you can get a real Cortland 333 for $30
which is still a bottom tier line

Go to a shop
cast some lines
find out the differences between $30/$50/$80 lines and then make the choice of what you want to invest

RIO
SA
Airflo
all respectable line companies that offer some affordable lines

Posted on: 2013/8/13 15:00

From Dauphin PA
Well said. Based on past experiences on here, the price seems to be the determining factor for purchases. In my own personal experiences with ff-ing equipment, you get what you pay for. All of my lines are Rio gold, Rio lt or SA sharkskin. I refuse to skimp on gear. I may not be able to afford the best of the best but will spend the most I have in the budget for tackle. I don't do it for the label attached. Why bother spending $499 on a driver and then play with range balls? Get good gear and treat it well. It will last and almost never let you down.

Just went to Alibaba.com and it's site for small business e-commerce. LMAO

Posted on: 2013/8/13 15:21

So if I bought lines direct from RIO's manufacturer, put my own company name on them and charged $20 less for them, then you still wouldn't buy them? (directed towards slumdumb aka Ramcatt)

Posted on: 2013/8/13 15:34

Quote:
So if I bought lines direct from RIO's manufacturer, put my own company name on them and charged $20 less for them, then you still wouldn't buy them?

I would say you are full of Sh*t

Rio lines are made in their factory in ID by R&D'd and QA'ed by people who fish.... not some $5 line sourced by alibaba.com from some Asian factory produced by people who have no clue about fly fishing

Posted on: 2013/8/13 15:44

From Dauphin PA
I wasn't asked but will answer.... Probably not because I'd believe the lines were "seconds" or contained subtle manufacturing defects.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 15:59

From Southwestern NY
ponner, one huge factor to think about is line weight, as you are thinking about the rio avid trout, that is rio's no additives version of the rio grand, it is made one line size up. so the line may load the rod properly at 30' if the rod is a newer "fast" rod but if you have a slow action rod you may very well over line your rod. i cannot speak for the allen lines though, never fished one. heck if i were you i'd check ebay for new old stock i picked up a rio gold 7wt for $50.

so my question to you is what rods are you trying to line? and what are their actions and do you want to change the rod or have it cast the same? also so we can have a base on what you are looking for what lines are on there now?

also

Quote:
Rio lines are made in their factory in ID by R&D'd and QA'ed by people who fish.... not some $5 line sourced by alibaba.com from some Asian factory produced by people who have no clue about fly fishing

what is there to stop any company from taking another companies line, a long measuring tape and a micrometer and simply reproducing that same taper under their name? most fly lines are pvc based then "super secret" additives for slickness and durometer. i believe the only line company out there that does not use pvc is airflo and they use polyurethane.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:00

Quote:

DJBerg wrote:

what is there to stop any company from taking another companies line, a long measuring tape and a micrometer and simply reproducing that same taper under their name?

Well... thats call stealing and then selling a sub-par knock off
at that point you are buy tapered weedwacker line

another reason to say away from alibaba.com

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:09

From Southwestern NY
Quote:
Well... thats call stealing and then selling a sub-par knock off at that point you are buy tapered weedwacker line

we are talking about corporations right? i thought that was just standard american business lol

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:19

That computer you're typing on is most likely reverse engineered from many other companies ideas. So you should probably throw that stolen technology in the garbage as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:20

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com