Whats this rod worth?

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

My friend just recieved this rod from his father, and his grandpa had bought this fly rod in the 70's and the retail on their other rods are through the roof, however I can not find a value on this model itself, the company is H.L Leonard and some other rods are going for 2500$. Heres some pics:

1286E083-0FBB-4526-A38B-C47DBF9DD510-1457-000001AF47DEEF1A.jpg

A03BF5FC-D836-4843-8823-C4F454FDFAD2-1457-000001AF27211CEB.jpg

EECC5242-41D4-4F8E-A887-4062FC37AAB5-1457-000001AF664829AC.jpg

with it he also recieved a brand new medalist! with the original line on it, his father said that both had never hit the water.

It's a graphite rod, I doubt it's worth that much. The rods you are seeing for thousands are most likely the bamboo rods.

fiberglass spin/fly.

Really? The info I found online said graphite, but it does look like fiberglass and I don't doubt your glass knowledge.

its worth whatever someone will pay for it. All the least nice find for him.

This rod was made by one of the premier bamboo fly rod builders - H.L. Leonard. I own a few Leonard bamboo rods. The appearance is fiberglass from the 60's or early 70's. And it may be somewhat rare. Post the pictures on Fiberglassflyrodders.com, someone can probably identify the rod and it's approx. value. Fiberglass fly rods are very collectable (sp), there is a cult following including me. A pack rod from HL Leonard may be highly prized.

One more note:

I believe Leonard glass rods were built on Phillipson and Graftek blanks.

I cant join that site, I'm being marked as spam?

StarvinMarvin,

I can't help if you are a mystery meat in a can (Spam). Seriously, I don't know what the problem is. A computer geek can probably answer your question.

The rod looks like it is pristine condition, which of course adds to the value. Just don't expect thousands as the value. Hold on to it, some day you may be glad. I regret selling and giving away my Fenwick and Orvis glass rods.

Definitely looks like glass to me. If it was built on a Phillipson blank, it could be worth some money. I'd fish w/ the thing, though! That rod is cool

outsider wrote:
One more note:

I believe Leonard glass rods were built on Phillipson and Graftek blanks.

that's a phillipson. sleeve ferrules and the metal ring at the base of each female ferrule. well, except the one that appears to be oddly missing.

Something else that adds value - the length of the rod. In general, the smaller rods (7'-6" and smaller) are the most highly prized.

Definitely a cool rod. As was mentioned, $2500 for a Leonard rod would be for bamboo. I would hang on to it though.

gfen wrote:
owell, except the one that appears to be oddly missing.

Its all there the first section is reversed from the other. Nice rod. I would not get rid of it and also would fish it.

Personally, I'd fish it and know that it was my grandfathers rod then my fathers, and now mine. Now that's heritage, to me that is what would make that rod worth the most.

For real. Starvin, keep this rod AND use it! (Or, I guess you said it was your friend's. Tell your friend to keep this rod and use it!) It'll fish nicely w/ that Medalist. This is the kind of stuff that I seek out on ebay and other places. If something like this came into my possession, I'd not part with it.

I think glass rods are more fun to fish. A lot more bend and it's just a different fight. I have a newer glass 3 wt that I love. They can take a beating too.

Agreed. My entire arsenal, with the exception of one first generation graphite rod (it was built by an elderly friend of mine and passed onto me-and it has way more flex than any new graphite that I've handled), is now glass...including my warm water/bigger game rod.

I have a small arsenal though!

He wont use it, he thinks its too valuable, but what are you gonna do.

Back