Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: What net do you like?

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Awesome. I would like to trace the frame and build one. I can't believe with all the discussion of how light the net is, that the weight is not documented anywhere.

Thanks for the link HA. I planned on building it with laminates and a form as he does. Now just to fight my inner desire to use highly figured dense (read heavy) wood for the handle.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 17:16

From Lehigh Valley
I'm no woodworker, but can't you just use veneer or whatever the fancypant term for panelling is?

Posted on: 2011/1/3 18:20

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
I'm no woodworker, but can't you just use veneer or whatever the fancypant term for panelling is?

No.

Expanded : Veneer is simply a term for a layer of exposed wood that is applied to a substrate. Substrate can be OSB, MDF, solid wood, ply wood, plastic, whatever. Like wise the veneer is most often a thin layer of an exotic or premium wood, but can be anything from a picture of wood photo printed on a piece of vinyl to whatever you want on top of a finished product. Plywood would not work due to its crossed grains which would splinter. Paneling just would not work. Usually a photo finish on top of a multi-layered substrate, usually of very poor quality and with lots of "voids" in the wood. What you want to do here is get 1/16" to 1/8" strips of long wood, get them limber with steam, coat them with type III wood glue, bend them around a form and clamp. This will give you a very nice, durable "hoop" which comes down to the handle. You can put all your fancy wood, inlays and skulls (obviously) in the middle part of the handle. Cool thing with the laminated hoop is you could alternate say, birdseye maple and cherry. Would be pretty sweet. I would stick with PA native woods like maple, cherry, walnut and mahogany. He talks about ash and oak, which are native to PA as well, but relatively cheap and uninspired woods. Why spend huge amounts of time on a hand crafted net and cheap out on the wood?

Posted on: 2011/1/3 19:33

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Why spend huge amounts of time on a hand crafted net and cheap out on the wood?

Don't ask me, I spent $15 and about 30 seconds in a check out lane to get mine. Its made of exotic Chinese pine, I think.

But it works good like a hatchet for hacking off low hanging branches that seem to often end up with a fly impossibly twisted aroudn them about 6" above my outstretched hand. Try that with yoru hand crafted beauty.

I want to be there when you look at the cracked handle, and think to yourself, "where'd I put the Liquid Nails this time?"

All this is just cover for "wish I had the ability to do crap like woodworking, but I can roll dice like a mother...." So, whatever.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 22:28

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com