Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What gear do I need....

You paid for a leader straightener ???
must be nice to be well to do-just kidding.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 7:30

From Lancaster Co.
I know there's a lot of debate about leaders on here but I don't overcomplicate things and it works fine for me. Next time pick up some 7.5 foot leaders in 3x and 4x. Get some spools of tippet in 3X through 6x. Attach leader to fly line than blood knot a section of tippet to the leader. A total length of 9' is fine for most situations you will encounter. Shorter is fine for nymphs and streamers. I'm with Pete on the leader straightener. I think I bought one years ago and I have no idea what happened to it. Finger and thumb seems to work fine or find an old piece of innertube or something like that. There isn't a person on this board that doesn't have a piece of equipment that they found to be of little use after they acquired it.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 7:47

From Bucks County
So what you are saying is 8x tippet is out of the question??

....kidding...

thanks for all the info guys. I will be ordering a few more leaders and more tippet material....

Posted on: 2011/7/31 9:40

From Bucks County
I guess I will throw one of the 7x in my bag and the other one I will put away for when I take a trip back to MO. I plan on picking up a 4x and a 5x leader to start....and 4-6x tippet.

Once I figure out what works and what I like I will then stock up on some of it.

Again....thanks for all the help

Posted on: 2011/7/31 10:51

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
There are some things you learn in spin fishing that can transfer over to fly fishing and some things you need to ignore and re-learn. Tippet is one that you need to forget about your old ways. Casting a fly is all about the transfer of power. In spin fishing the lure does all the work, in fly fishing its the line and leader. If it's not set up correctly then it won't perform correctly. You want your fly to turn over and land properly. If not then it will be a jumbled mess and you'll get knots.

Afish gave some great info on a general rule of thumb for leaders and tippet size. The reason for that is for the transfer of power. Once you get a little more advanced then you can look into leader recipes, different length and so on, but that's down the road. I would suggest starting with a 7.5ft 4x leader and adding tippet to it. Go out and buy 3x to 6x tippet. I can however catch just about any fish I go after in PA on 4 or 5x. I use shorter and stronger leaders for heavier flies (BIG nymphs and streamers) and longer and lighter leaders for more delicate presentations and potentially better drifts (smaller dry flies). My average leader is probably a 9' tapered leader down to 5x. I can cut off sections and rebuild it from there to fit my needs, or just swap out a different leader for different situations. Don't get TOO complicated on this yet, but know the basics and your casting skills will improve with the knowledge.

Ryan

Posted on: 2011/7/31 13:30

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From Montgomery County
I hope you didn't really pick up night vision goggles? If so, use you slick tricks and go after some coyotes:)

You can make do with the 7x leaders. If you get broke off or when the leader shortens to the heavier section, just knot some 4 or 5x on and you now have a stronger leader. BTW, stay far away from 7x if you're using clousers or poppers...

Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:12

From Bucks County
The poppers and clousers I picked up to go with my bass set up. The 7x is going to be used for trout.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:56

From Southwest, Pa
ll bean wading jacket- 70 bucks
ll bean emerger waders - 90 bucks
hemos
nail clippers
orvis fly boxes
a fanny pack of some sort, or chest if it floats your boat
studded wading shoes
rio powerflex tippet in 0, 3, 4, 5, 6...I would also suggest beartooth, which is a few dollars cheaper and just as good, though can be hard to find. Indiana Angler will ship to you. Ask for Woody and tell him Josh referred you.
fairplay tapered leaders- 1.96 at walmart
... upon purchasing this leader, attach desired amount and size before using. When a foot remains, reattach another section to desired length. When this foot runs out, clip at the first knot and do over. your leaders will last a long time doing this and you don't have to worry about the dumb formulas these guys post on here.

forget the net... learn to pinch your barbs. When a fish is at your feet, simply grab hook with hemo's, turn, and let the weight of the fish release itself. This is especially crucial when temps are cold and you are wearing wool gloves...

and oh yea, wool gloves, bandanna, patagonia winter hat (preferably), and a normal cap.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 0:02

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
and def. nail knot 6 inches of thick mono to fly line as suggested, learn to tie a perfection loop, and loop to loop your leaders. very easy changing when you are switching from modified sink tips (another thing to buy, get in bulk and make your own, then you do not need shot), nymph leaders, dry leaders, etc.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 0:05

-Art Lee

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
97 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com