Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

what does 'refurbished' orvis rod really mean?

I like flyweight fly fishing stuff, and bought a 7 foot, 4 weight, 2 piece, one ounce orvis superfine rod with the black R (reject? returned? refurbished?) on its little cork-cigar grip at an orvis warehouse sale for $199. I like it for brookies, but the funny thing is that while it balances perfectly with a 3 oz real, it actually feels quite tip heavy with my usual 2.2 oz reels! I am having a longer grip put on it; the factory one was too small and a few inches shorter than a standard grip. With a longer grip my index finger will be a few inches forward, and it should balance nicely with the 2.2 oz reel.

I could see that the grip had been worked on, nicks in cork filled, what does the R on are these R-marked rods really mean?

Posted on: 2009/12/22 13:06

Re: what does 'refurbished' orvis rod really mean?

From Delaware Co.
It means that you can't use the orvis 25 year guarantee

Posted on: 2009/12/22 13:09

From Greensburg, PA
..in addition the brand new Orvis I bought last year had a handle that was filled and sanded as well.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 13:13

From Bozeman
What Fred said. It's basically a factory second, and not guaranteed. Good deals to be had on them.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 13:18

Thanks, I know there's no guarantee, but that's OK. I do break a lot of equipment, including 3 fly rod sections this year (the reel section of a 2 pc rod in a fall; the third section of a 4 pc cracked in the trunk during a car crash; the tip section of a 4pc against a branch while casting). Rod makers have been nice about helping me out, but I can live without the warranty. Hopefully, since it is an older rod and the tip section is more likely to break, I can find a spare superfine 704-2 on ebay before fishing season starts.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 14:43

From Johnstown, PA
A good friend of mine who has since passed on gave me a 6 1/2 ft bamboo "Batenkill" it came with an extra tip which had been broken off right at the end of the metal tip , i had built a few rods by then but decided to see what it would cost to send back to Orvis to get repaired. They wanted $80.00 which i didn't think was too bad so i sent it back , looks good i can't tell the difference in the tips without looking real close. After reading this post i went and got it out and i guess the guarantee thing is the only issue 'cause there is no "R" on the rod , even though it is refurbished by them.

Posted on: 2009/12/25 16:56

thanks... I have never sent a broken rod back for repair... I will keep this in mind if/when I damage the (fragile looking) 704-2!

Posted on: 2009/12/26 5:40

From florida
The R means that if it can be fixed it will be, but no warranty. had one that shattered, sent it back, got a new rod with a warranty for $ 100. Not a bad deal ,but there are other rods out there that are reasonable and have full warranties.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 23:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
125 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com