Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: what are your favorite manufacturers of Lines/tapers/weights?

From pennsylvania
Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:
I've always bought and fished primarily Cortland lines. I have a lot of reasons, some rational and fishing-related and others more emotional...

2) I tend (and this is the emotionally-based reason) to patronize retail underdogs over industry dominant brands. Until the quality went completely to h---, we always had AMC cars when I was a kid. No GM products. They didn't need our business because they had most everybody else's. Sci Anger was (and may still be) a 3M company. Cortland, so far as I know, is just Cortland. So long as they make a decent product, they'll have my business...

I like that answer and agree with - except for that whole AMC thing. But the Honda Element has "Pacer" written all over it

Posted on: 2011/8/30 16:53

From SEPA
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
I like that answer and agree with - except for that whole AMC thing. But the Honda Element has "Pacer" written all over it

Hey!

Don't knock til you've tried it.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 16:59

From Lehigh Valley
Not likely.

Attach file:

jpg  Mensterfachermobile.jpg (92.50 KB)
72_4e5d53f958960.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/8/30 17:20

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>I like that answer and agree with - except for that whole AMC thing. But the Honda Element has "Pacer" written all over it>>

Thanks, Tony..

We had a series of Hornet Sportabout Wagons in the 60's. They were tough, minimal fuss, reliable vehicles. So, a few years after I got out of college, I bought a new one, a 1977. At 45K, the head gasket blew and (just about simultaneously..) the belts broke on all four of the Firestone 500's on the thing. I limped it into the Subaru dealership and traded it on a new 1979 DL 4WD wagon made for the Canadian market (otherwise I would have had to wait an additional 10 weeks for a car). Everything was in kilometers. You could almost sit still and watch the odometer spin.. I drove Subarus for a while and then they went uptown on me; power this and that, more plush interiors and TV ads with kangaroos. Then I switched careers and went through my Bohemian period, where I was happy as a hog in mud, but had no money. So, I couldn't afford a Subaru anyway. So, I got a used 86 Renault Alliance, which was part of AMC's last gasp. It was a great little car. A 1.4 liter four that sounded like a hive of bees under the hood, but got almost 40 mpg on the highway. It died at 145K (brain box) and I sold it for $150 and U-Haul-It-The-Hellouttahere.

My first wife had a Pacer. Like her, it only operated intermittently and the paint was prone to peeling.

My sister has an Element. My brother-in-law got it for her because she has a tendency to do township work with her vehicles, clearing ditches and mowing small trees, etc. She bent the noses on two RAVs, so he got her this big bread box so she can do all the township work she wants without him worrying all the time about it.

I wish I could find those Canadian fly lines that Wal-Mart used to sell for 10 bucks. They were great lines. But they stopped carrying them. They were white and I used to dye them all sorts of colors with Rit.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:11

From Harrisburg
Dear RLeeP,

Those flylines are made by Aquanova. You can buy them direct from Aquanova, or get them from GlobalDorber Group http://www.dorber.com/flylinesub.html.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:18
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
Well, I'll be dipped... At least one thing that hasn't gone uptown on me.

Thank You, Mr. Murphy.

Now I'll go get some blue denim Rit and order a few..

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:57

From Southeastern Pa
I really like the wulff lines, I have had sage line and sic-ang mastery and orvis but i have been most impressed with the wulff stuff. although I believe its made by sci-ang anyway.

I use to use frog hair fluorocarbon all the time. I still like it but I like mirage too.

I just started a new thing in my nymphing rig where I use a swivel and I really like the SPRO micro swivels. size 10 75lbs test. and when the fish bolt around all over and jump and everything they stay on.

as far as specifics my favorites go:

7wt joan wulff triangle taper floating (nymphing bigger water)

5wt joan wulff triangle taper floating (nymphing medium to small)

5wt sage weight forward floating (dry flys very precise and delicate presentation)

I had Sci-Ang trout mastery and was not impressed. I am looking for a good sinking line now for my 5wt as I have yet another spool to fill.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 22:29

From New Castle, PA
I don't see myself ever buying a Cortland line again. They have been left in the dust by virtually every other manufacturer IMO. They were good 15-20 years ago, but not now in 2011. I can buy slicker, longer lasting lines, with a myriad of tapers. I have no reason to buy a Cortland.

Rio's and SA's for me.

Kev

Posted on: 2011/9/4 12:38

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com