What are your angling colors?

Acristickid

Acristickid

Do you believe in stealthy clothes to go along with your approach to the stream?

I feel most anglers believe that bright colors are a no-no.

What colors do you believe work best for fishing as far as clothing? Tan, green, blue or camo?

I am not overly concerned but try not to wear bright colors and don’t go overboard- unless in Florida. You?

I wear either a tan or dark olive shirt. Mostly the dark olive one. I also wear a dark hat.

Why try and stand out?

I try to wear earthtones, and lighter shades thereof, but I'm not really motivated enough to care if I show up in a bright red shirt.

Also, I like shiny gold reels, so what's it matter?

I have a camo T-shirt I usually wear when it's warm. Waders are green, so I'm good. If it's chilly out I'll wear my dark blue hoody. Really though, if clothing color is an issue to the trout, you've already spooked them. Just say'n.

Blending into your surroundings is very important and even more so on some of the smaller streams in Pa. I guess I get that idea from my hunting background. I don't go out in full camo like I would for a spring turkey hunt but I always wear earthtone colors like different shades of green,browns, and dark tans.

I have a favorite dark green plaid shirt that I like to wear fishing, I also have a few Cabela's short sleeve shirts, one camo, another tan, and a one a drab blue color. They all have 4 pockets and are vented in the back.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Columbia-Bonehead-Short-Sleeve-Shirt-Tall/1158340.uts?WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-900732

Basically I tend to try and wear green, brown or tan when fishing, while at the same time I try not to wear all out camo if only because that just turns heads in late spring and early summer.

I often make clothing purchases based on criteria such as:

1. Comfort - Is it going to keep me cool and not restrict my movement.

2. Style & function - Does it both have a nice look and also have useful pockets or appropriate color tones for fishing.

3. Multi-purpulousness - Would I feel comfortable wearing it both on the stream and in a bar or restaurant later on that same day.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:

I often make clothing purchases based on criteria such as:

1. Comfort - Is it going to keep me cool and not restrict my movement.

2. Style & function - Does it both have a nice look and also have useful pockets or appropriate color tones for fishing.

3. Multi-purpulousness - Would I feel comfortable wearing it both on the stream and in a bar or restaurant later on that same day.

Great post and excellent use of purpulous.

Me? Whatever nasty, food and beverage stained t-shirt is clean enough to wear. IMO if fish are seeing your clothing the game is over as the flailing about will clearly spook the fish.

I try to wear drab colors - especially when fishing small, gin clear streams. Don't really know for sure how much difference it makes - but it sure can't hurt.
And when I do spook a fish, at least I can't blame it on bright clothes

I try to wear something that brings out the blue in my eyes and not make my butt look big

I'm certainly not against wearing camo, I sometimes do (as my avatar shows). I don't think its really necessary, but it can help, especially on small streams. On all streams, I try to avoid bright whites, yellows, reds, etc., and usually reach for drab colors.

I always get a little upset at wader colors. They're always sand like colors, like its meant for the flats or something. I mean, I don't make it a point to buy greens, browns, etc., but all else being equal, thats what I'd choose. Why not just make the waders that way?

an eye doctor friend of mine who also fly fishes has told me trout don't see color as we do.

Trout see colors way better than we do. They have more cones in their eyes. they also see furthuer into the UV and IR spectrums as well as polarized lights.

You don't need to worry about what color clothes you wear if you carry a plastic potted shrub with you to break up your silhouette..

Otherwise, for economy, durability, color and utility, an oversized (by one size to help facilitate better air flow) Dickies brand long sleeved work shirt in dark green or even the dark tan they label as "mustard" rules, once it has been washed about 20 times to limber it up some. 15 bucks or so at Sears.

But the shrub is best.

I've had some of my best days fishing small Limestoners with bright Red and Orange shirts on. One of my most worn "fishing shirts" is a Grateful Dead tye dye that was given to me by an older gentleman probably 10 years ago. I mostly fish upstream and doing so alows me to get away with a lot. IMO wading carelessly, making poor casts, having your shadow cast upstream, and flailing around with the fly rod result in more spooked fish than anything else. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to wear drab colors when fishing, but I buy the bright colored shirts because they are always on sale, since no one else wants them. Plus, if it is really crowded on the stream the brighter colors keep people away. After all, how many of you guys want to fish next to someone wearing a bright Red shirt?

Good point. I would not want to fish next to a guy in a bright red fishing shirt. Ha!

next time I'm fishing the neshannock, I'm gonna wear an orange shirt and a hat with a propeller!! ha, bet I wont get crowded out!!

I cover myself in tin foil...LOL any drab clothing will do even flannel

I wear drab, earth-tone colors or camo. And I took it one step further: I bought an olive colored fly line for my new 6 1/2' 3 weight rod. Close fishing for brookies in small mountain streams. Will it make a difference? We'll see.

I'm not super picky about what kinda clothes I wear on the water. I have two designated fishing shirts that are olive and tan. In the summer, I just try to grab a t-shirt that seems reasonable. Brown, green, and gray usually, but I'm not afraid to wear a bright red or orange shirt on the water.

outsider, Did you buy the Cortland "Clear Creek" flyline that we talked about on the forum?

Back