Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What's your "gear" routine, when you return home from fishing?

From Johnstown, Pa
All of my gear is keeped in my garage which is insulated and stays nice and cool throughout the whole season. When I get home from a trip waders and wading staff are hung up, wading shoes are hosed off and hung up to dry out slowly. All jackets and vest are hung on hangers, all in the same place so No searching is involved for the next trip. Just open the back of the vehicle and put stuff in and go. My boo rod is wiped down and dried and either stored in its bag and hung or left together if I know I am fishing the next few days. Fly lines are cleaned about every 3rd trip and leaders are repaired that night for the next trip. I also keep folding chair and small cooler with gear.

At the end of the season all rods are washed thoroughly dried and stored away in fly tying room. Fly reels are cleaned and lubed and fly lines are cleaned and new leaders are installed and stored in reel case. Waders and wading shoes are washed and dried and stored in closet. All jackets are washed and put away in closet. Wading staff gets a new coat of varnish and put away.

And well the vest it very seldom gets a washing. To much of a pain to unload all that stuff. The only time it gets unloaded is if I get caught in the rain and have to dry everything out.

Believe me there is a method to the madness.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 9:25

From MONTCO
Lots of good ideas here.

HA, I need to install a utility sink for sure. Not just for this, but for other chores around the house, etc., it's a PITA to use the upstairs sinks. Not sure how much my brother is sticking to his regiment of boot drying, etc. Maybe I can pick that one off him cheap!

I have considered the tote idea and am looking into how I want to setup the bed of my truck. It's a Ridgeline, so it has a short bed, which I like. It also has a trunk, which conveniently has a drain hole. Truth is, the trunk could become the tote, since it's easily washed out. I'm considering a truckbox, as well as a bed cover - not sure about the MacGyver cover though HA..

Right now, I have a camera backpack, which contains all of my flies, etc. I place it in a larger gym bag, which holds my lanyard/harness, spare socks, hats, and whatever. I have a second wader bag, a large vinyl tote bag I found, that carries the waders/boots. So gym bag on my shoulder, wader bag in one hand and rod in the other. Not a problem.

The problem, and main reason for asking the question, is that I store all of my gear in a 1st floor room, so wet waders and boots are going to stink the joint up. My options for storing those are my humidity controlled basement or the garage, both which present the risk of me forgetting them on the way out the door. Maybe I'll just move all of the gear to the basement. Routine is the key, so I'll just have to fish more!

Posted on: 2012/8/7 10:05

From Southwest, Pa
I just make sure i scrub my wading shoes when I get back everytime and always spray the waders inside w. a few shots of febreeze. I keep these in my loft's walk-in closet, along with my other gear. Never had a problem with smell.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 2:53

-Art Lee

Cabela's boot dryer! Excellent idea!

Also, for toting waders and boots around, I use one of those large flexible plastic coolers with a zip-around top and a shoulder strap. The one I have also has an outside pocket large enough to store socks, gravel guards, wet wading booties,etc. (or a good sized towel). This will definitely save your car trunk/back seat/carpet, and will get your wet gear from the car through the house to the drying and storage area without tracking water, dirt, and debris in between. The cooler also seals in odors. I've stored wet gear inside of it in a car trunk on long trips, packed next to other luggage, and it completely contains all the nastiness.

This is the type I use: http://www.hawaiiancooler.com/CollapsibleCoolers.htm

I have the largest size, which will fit at least two pairs of waders and boots, or multiple pairs of boots.

Their backpack coolers look like they'd do the job, too.

Another thing I try to remember to do: air out all the flies I've just used, so they dry before the hooks start to rust.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 0:00

Edited by barbless on 2012/8/20 0:16:53
Edited by barbless on 2012/8/20 0:23:30
Edited by barbless on 2012/8/20 0:25:38

From LV
The first thing I always do when done fishing for the day is put the rod in the case, then I take care of everything else. I never put equipment on top of any vehicle, that's a sure way to lose stuff.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:23

From Chester County
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
The first thing I always do when done fishing for the day is put the rod in the case, then I take care of everything else. I never put equipment on top of any vehicle, that's a sure way to lose stuff.

Good advice. The last thing you should do when gearing up is take your rod out of the case and string it up, and as Chaz said, the first thing you should do when getting back your vehicle is to put the rod back in it's case. Losing or breaking a rod is not fun.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 7:09

I must be lazy. I through everything in the bed of my truck. Drive home take a nap, wake and realize everything is in the truck bed. Run outside and throw it into the garage. I have rods that I not broken down in years. Just hang them on the wall. Everything works.

Posted on: 2012/8/25 10:01

From Newville, PA
First thing I do is wipe down my bamboo rod with a dry cotton cloth and put it in the tube (top open). I wipe my reel down and put it in my reel case while contains a dessicant pack. As for the rest of my stuff, it just gets tossed in my gear bag. Never take it out of the bag until my next day of fishing. My buddies tell me I'm shortening the life of my waders, but I've been fishing the same Orvis Giude chest waders for 10 years without a single leak. Should add that I put more time on the water than both of them combined, Should probably state the I use rubber soled boots, so cleaning is not a real concern.

When I get home, I take the rod bag from the tube and hang it from a hook in the hall closet for a day or two. If I'm going out the next day, I just bring the tube inside and let the top open.

Posted on: 2012/8/25 20:18

When im finished fishing for the day my #1 priority is storing the rod safely in its case.Usually your biggest investment and it deserves special attention. When home ,waders are hung inside out to dry,then next morningthey are reversed and hung to dry again.Care of these will increase longevity.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 14:25

From Dauphin PA
See photo

Attach file:

jpg  5163_4f2096d709876[1].jpg (234.14 KB)
5163_50533f14ed5cf.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/9/14 10:28

From Lancaster Co.
Krayfish - The only potential problem I see with your routine is the cooler looks hard to reach and some of the rods are in the way. Makes it hard to access the contents.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 11:06

From Dauphin PA
I see your point. The good news is that isn't MY cooler. It belongs to the guy in the boat towing vehicle. Sucks for him. LOL. Mine is riding shotgun.

The rods get put together in mid April and remain that way on the recliner in the LR....just in case I get the chance / urge to head out. Unfortunately this year limited me to 3 or 4 outings and they are getting quite dusty. Over the winter, back into storage tubes. I didn't ge the waders completely dry after my super fantastic steelhead trip last November and when I cracked open the rubbermaid tub in April..... holy sh*t. I had all kinds of stuff growing on them and the stink was unreal. Noted and won't happen again. 5 days on the D and the front pocket on my waders was grey and fuzzy. The stink lasted most of the trip and I got a terrible cold that I assume was from breathing in the mold.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 13:05

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I see my two rods in that picture, my cooler, and I sat shotgun after that picture was taken lol.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 13:17

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com