Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

What's in or on your vest?

From Harrisburg
Hey All, Been lurking here for a week or so and this is my 1st post from Harrisburg.

I'm starting to fly fish again after a 33 yr absence (never replaced my gear after my brothers chopped it up with a brush hog when I was 17 yrs old.....yep, brothers) I'll be fishing Clarks, Stoney, Breeches and maybe the Pine Creek-Slate Run area and would like opinions on what tools I'll need to do the job so to speak.

I'm talking forceps? straight, curved, long, short?
I've seen pliers from $5 to $300 with assorted shaped jaws.
Clippers, knot tyers etc etc.
Also seem to be many more sizes and shapes of nets than there used to be.
I started when I was 12 yrs old in 1969 and it didn't seem that complicated back then. Thanks for any and all of your advice and opinions. Mick

Posted on: 2007/1/16 23:04

Re: What's in or on your vest?

From Harrisburg
Dear Mick,

As far as the gadgets go just find something that you are comfortable with. I will say that I like forceps with flat jaws simply because they make it easier to debarb a hook. I have curved forceps, straight forceps, and offset forceps in a variety of sizes mostly because I'm either misplacing them or finding a pair that somebody else lost.

For a clipper I just use those el-cheapo River Run nippers that cost about $ 2.50. They last a couple of years and then you throw them out and get new ones. I carry a leather and rubber leader straightener and that rounds out my tool assortment.

Get yourself some good "zingers" to attach your tools to your vest otherwise you may find yourself having the whole set-up fall off at an inopportune time. I'm partial to the newer models that have the plastic pigtail instead of the old cloth covered cord retractors that always seemed to get frayed and break.

I don't carry a net so I can't help you there. See you on Clarks.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/1/16 23:57

From Dallastown, PA
Hey Mick,

Welcome aboard. For me, I like it simple and cheap.

I use the surgical hemos for about $2.50 each. No zinger here. Just clamp them to the strap on my chest pack. I've lost two pair that cost $20.00 and although I like the grip type rather than the scissor type, I don't like them on a zinger. When I lose them I just get another pair out of my pack. I have a good ($12.50) pair of nippers with an eye cleaner needle and a Nail knot tool. (what a waste). This I have on a zinger.

As stated I wear a chest pack, from Orvis. It has a back pack for water bottles and lunch, cheap cigars, snacks, headlamp, etc. On the front is two deep pockets that hold four fly boxes organized as; 1.) a streamer wallet, 2.) buggers and steelhead flies, 3.)Standard Drys and nymphs, 4.)Terrestrials and flies #18 and over.

In the surface pockets I show my license through a mesh pocket so it won't get lost. I keep an Altoids tin with a piece of foam in it for my cheapskate fly trap. (drying chamber) and my extra leaders in another surface pocket. Also my indicators.

I have three nets, but don't carry one. I should but have not come to terms with buying one of those magnetic thing-a-mabobs that seem to work so well but cost $25 bucks. Instead I bought a $29 dollar net made in Korea that lasted one season before I had to screw it together. I shudda bought the magnetic thingy to hold one of the other nets I already owned.

Anyway, Thats how I do it...

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/1/17 0:14

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Mick,

I have curved forceps, straight forceps, and offset forceps in a variety of sizes mostly because I'm either misplacing them or finding a pair that somebody else lost.
Regards,
Tim Murphy

So you found my foreceps Tim....Enjoy!

Posted on: 2007/1/17 0:17

From S. Central PA
For tools, I use a cheap pair of forceps clipped to my vest with a spare pair in an inside pocket. Don't like them on a zinger. I also prefer the smooth jaw for barb crimping and minimal fly damage during removal. On the zinger is a pair of nippers, the ones that have an eye cleaner (pin) on the back, and a hook sharpner.

That's pretty much it for tools, haven't carried a net in years. If you do decide to carry a net, rubber bagged models are best for protecting the fish slime, assuming you plan to practice catch and release. Other contents would be flies, an assortment of tippet, floatant, soft lead and a pack of cigars and lighter. Best insect repellent known to man!

Posted on: 2007/1/17 5:47

From Monessen, PA
Hemostat-like forceps with cutting edge; 4 fly boxes (1 for nymphs & streamers, 2 for dries, 1 for tiny dries); stream thermometer; hook sharpener; Leaders; 4 rolls tippet; splitshot; strike putty/indicators; disposable camera; plastic snuff can with holes for flies that are wet; clip-on sungalsses.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 5:53

From Bozeman
All of my stuff got stolen recently, so i'm starting from scratch.

So far, i've got a little bag with two large fly boxes (one full of all-around flies like buggers, glo bugs, pheasant tails, zug bugs, etc) and the other gets populated before I leave for the stream. The bag has a compartment for split shot, tippet, indicators, and a few other things.

Throw in a leatherman and a pair of forceps clipped on somewhere and i'm good to go. I dry flies on my hat because I use exclusively barbless.

Until the beginning of last week, there was a tin of skoal too... needless to say, i'm getting antsy.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 8:51

MickM:

Yea pretty much the same junk here although I sewed-up a pouch that goes on my belt to hold my hemos. I hardly ever use them but when I need them they are there.

I also have found LOTS of lost pairs stream side and I never lost mine so I vote for my pouch!

I keep the gadgets to a minimum except for nippers, (Orvis) and essentals like a cigar cutter & lighter and a flask! A Swiss Army knife covers everything else although I do have a EZ-Lap hook hone which gets a workout when I fish wets.

As far as nets go I only use one on the Letort 'cause I have a few horror stories related to trying to beach 20"+ fish on 6X. I also use one at other places in the summer when I'm fishing light tippets. Despite their lack of beauty I'm partial to folding nets because they are so dang portable. I like the long-handled Solvkroken (Norwegian), or the Cabela's knock-off for places where I bank fish and an old Orvis North Fork for places where I wade.

Be secure in the knowledge that things haven't changed that much since 1969 in regards to essential gadgets. It all works, it's just a matter of whether it can tie knots, crimp barbs, land fish, straighten leaders AND open beer bottles.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 9:35

From Greensburg, PA
I have a chest pack now that I can convert to a waist pack, so I have less room than I did with my old vest. But I still have room for 2 large and 2 small fly boxes. 1- streamers and nymphs, 1- dries and another of dries and another with terrestrials and egg patterns and such. About a half dozen spools of tippet in various sizes, Oh, and 2 really small boxes with midges and tiny (mostly pupa) patterns) in an outer compartment. Gink, Xink, an oversized pair of nail clipper, leader straightener and hemos hang from zingers clipped inside the pack with the wire coming out through grommetted holes. Oh yeah and a buck knife in a pocket I think is supposed to be for sunglasses.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 10:20

From Chester County
FF Stuff needed to get started after rod / reel / line / flies / waders.

Essentials?:
Tools: Nipper / Hemostats / Polarized sunglasses
Tackle: Small split shots (or putty) / Indicators (if your of that persuasion) / Floatant / Fly drying powder or crystals / leaders / tippet 3x – 6x

Optional:
Fishing net / Bug catching net / Stream thermometer / Small flashlight / Rain gear / Insect repellent / sun screen

Surprised no one mentioned a stream thermometer or a bug net –I never leave home without them.

Ps: C’mon Jack, I'm a smoker too, and I know you’re holding out. Are you telling me that you don’t carry an extra pack of smokes and lighter in your vest in case the unthinkable happens – your smokes or lighter fall into the drink!

Posted on: 2007/1/17 14:09

I like to carry a small hook hone to get those hooks nice and sharp, especially for the nymphs that are bouncing in the rocks all day. I also carry a spare pair of hemostats, just never know when they will get lost or my buddy forgot his. A spare spool of 6x tippet always helps to bring along. Granola bars and a waterbottle sure make lunch on the water enjoyable.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 14:18

From Harrisburg
Thanks for all the replies! It's coming back to me now. Fly fishing is one of those "things" that cause you to continue to accumulate gear long after the basics are taken care of, prompting friends and relatives to ask questions that revolve around the words "why"? "need"? and "how many"? I love it.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 20:07

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Surprised no one mentioned a stream thermometer or a bug net –I never leave home without them.

Ps: C’mon Jack, I'm a smoker too, and I know you’re holding out. Are you telling me that you don’t carry an extra pack of smokes and lighter in your vest in case the unthinkable happens – your smokes or lighter fall into the drink!

I mentioned the thermometer. The reason I left out the cigs and lighter as well as the nymph seine is they aren't really essential items. I only carry the pack of smokes I plan to use and the lighter, but I do have a stash of matches in one of the very highest pockets of my vest in case the lighter gets wet and I really can't wait for it to dry out.

Posted on: 2007/1/18 6:19

From Delaware Co.
MickM,Why not go modern and get a Chest Pack you can fit just about anything you need to fish in the pack . I got one from William&Joseph that came with built in zingers and a tippet dispenser and a slot in the pack to put a hydration bladder.If your like me and fish for about 4 to 6 hours you will probally want to pack a lunch which will fit no problem in a chest pack. Just my very short and to the point 2 cents

Posted on: 2007/1/18 6:51

From Harrisburg
That's something I'll definitely look into. I have a 15 year old orvis vest that I used mostly for wading/bass fishing but most of my memories of that vest invove the collar digging into the back of my neck in T shirt weather once it had any gear in it.

I've been out looking at gear a few times lately but only glanced at the vests and didn't really notice that most of them were actually chest packs. I just took a quick look at the stuff on Cabella's site and it looks like the newer stuff is designed to rest the weight on the shoulders. Thanks for the heads up. Mick

Posted on: 2007/1/18 17:27

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com