WF or DT

atlantisboy911

atlantisboy911

Im going to buy a new line an I usually use WF and have been reading that Double Tapers are better for roll casting...was looking for advise if anyone uses Double Taper and how they cast etc.

Thanks

Depends on what you're using the line for. If you're fishing within 40-50 feet for trout I'd say double taper. Use it for a couple years, pull the line off and use the other side. I use a DT on almost all of my trout rods.

Most brands of lines the WF and DT have the same front taper. WF tapers to thin running line for shooting, while with DT, the heavy taper continues to the opposite end of the line where the line is a mirror image of the front taper. WF's advantage is that it's better for shooting and longer casts, DT's advantage is it can be reversed when the line wears on one end.

I would get a WF. I think the appeal of DT is overblown. Like afish said, WF roll casts fine.

I buy mostly WF, but think that I'm going to make the switch to DT because it's two fly lines in one and I get very little fly line on teh water with mostly roll cast.

Another thing to consider is that DT lines take up more space on a reel than a WF line of the same line weight. This adds total mass, which may be a problem for very light rods and that have been previously balanced with a WF line. Also, putting less backing on a standard arbor reel (as would be needed for a DT) might create memory problems when the line is reversed once one taper wears out. If you have the right set up, DT lines are great; however, if you have a reel that is made for line sizes 3-5 and you decided to switch from a WF5 to a DT5 you may run into some problems without the purchase of another reel. Most of my casts are within 40-50 feet and therefore I have never noticed a differenced in turnover between the two line styles.

I have never really noticed a big difference. I go with the one I can turn around and use again. I used to thin I roll cast better with my DT. Then I got a WF for free and use it and it rolls fine. I do think as far as the right line for the rod, though, if you have a rod labeled as a 5/6wt rod. The WF in a 5wt and the DT in a 6wt seems to feel best.

Yes, dt is better for roll casting imo...Each time I purchase a dt line I cut it in half, saving the other half for the future...If you you like soft/slow action rods (dry fly rods) the dt is the way to go..Like I stated before you get two lines in one..

With the cost of fly lines now, I use DT lines on all my rods.
Usually get 2 years out of one end, then turn it around and get another 1-2 years out of the other side. Makes shelling out $60 - $70 for a fly line more tolerable

sundrunk wrote:
Yes, dt is better for roll casting imo...Each time I purchase a dt line I cut it in half, saving the other half for the future...If you you like soft/slow action rods (dry fly rods) the dt is the way to go..Like I stated before you get two lines in one..

You only used 45-50 ft of fly line? That's what about 1000 yard of backing? Why cut it?

Thanks for the advice, Im still not decided ....Tom so for a 4 weight rod and reel are you saying over line it with a 5wt DT line...excuse my ignorance , Im a bit confused and will I still fit it on a large arbor 4wt reel :-?

It's not quite that much on older hardy lrh reels...40-50 is about all one really needs back east..I've got wf too, and an silk dt, which I woudnt cut...

Nylon is lighter then pvc..

atlantisboy911 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, Im still not decided ....Tom so for a 4 weight rod and reel are you saying over line it with a 5wt DT line...excuse my ignorance , Im a bit confused and will I still fit it on a large arbor 4wt reel :-?

That would be the down side and a concern...I don't have any large arbor reels. The last time I shared that, I think it was jay that confrmied it for me. maybe he'll stop by.

It will fit. Just remove a little backing.

I just picked up some DT line and its fills the reel up pretty close to being too full. Once line is let out its fine but you have to be careful its brought in neatly to fit without rubbing the top of the reel.

I do no have much backing on. But is it possible to trim some of the fly line so it fits better?

Other then that it casts great!

Better to remove backing than fly line. If you take all the backing off and the line still fills the reel, the reel is too small for the line you are using. What is the wt of the line and how many yards of 20lb backing do you have on the reel?

Ditto what tom said.

I have a reel that's lined a bit snugly as well. It's only an issue when I take all of the line onto the reel. In all fishing applications, it's fine. When the line is tightly wrapped, it doesn't rub. When fighting a fish, I make sure it's evenly wound.

frohbego wrote:
I just picked up some DT line and its fills the reel up pretty close to being too full. Once line is let out its fine but you have to be careful its brought in neatly to fit without rubbing the top of the reel.
I do no have much backing on. But is it possible to trim some of the fly line so it fits better?
Other then that it casts great!

If you can't pull enough backing, split your DT in half. Same benefit of just turning it backwards after a year or three.

I don't understand why you keep saying to cut a line in half. No backing is better than half a line. Not many see their backing but I get more than half way up my line on a regular basis. If you cut your line in half you cannot cast more than 36 feet.

Back