Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Well, It Finally Happened To Me

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Perhaps an area I can improve. I just nail knot a 10-15" piece that makes the butt section for all my leaders, and when changing leaders I blood knot them on the butt section. I do change leaders often (hand tied), but leave the butt section universal for all. Only have to change the butt section once a year at most when it gets too short. Only problem is that the nail knot does hang up on the guides, might have to adjust something there.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 10:22

From bucks cty
Quote:

Crotalus wrote:
How did the braided loop fail? Did the loop fail or did it slip off the line?

I use the braided loops but i also add a nail knot to help keep them secure.

I was wondering the same thing. Most of the Braided loop kits use heat shrink tubing. After a while the tubing can fail.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 11:48

The loop slid off the end of the line.

The kit I had always used had heat shrink tubing. Actually, I was a fan of braided loops for many years, but noticed lately that I could not get the tubing to grab well. I even had this one whip finished to try to hold it.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:21

From Enola, PA
i will have to keep an eye on mine. I skip the shrink tubing, i just let the weave bite into the fly line. (The chinese handcuff theory is what is behind the woven connectors.) Then i nail knot at the end of the connector about 3" up the line and coat the know with a little Dave's flexament.

As far as i am concerned using the nail knot on the connector is no different than tieing a but section on with a nail knot. but i will check mine from now on to make sure they are holding well.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:40

uhh...nevermind

From West Chester PA
I know this has been said, but years ago my mentor taught me to tie on by nail knot a piece of what-would-be butt end mono to the end of the fly line and tie a loop at the end of it. Loop the end of whatever leader you want and handshake it. Problems over. Quick and easy change whenever you want it.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 16:21

Finally got out to test the homemade loop. It worked great! Slid easily through the guides. Tested its strength on two Delaware rainbows that took a run. On one, the loop was stronger than my clinch knot. The other threw the hook. The loop held!

Thanks for the tip on the loop. Do you ever have to redo it or do you just leave it alone?

Posted on: 2008/8/14 7:16

From Chester County
Shultzy wrote: "Finally got out to test the homemade loop. It worked great! Slid easily through the guides. Tested its strength on two Delaware rainbows that took a run. On one, the loop was stronger than my clinch knot. The other threw the hook. The loop held!"

Thanks for the tip on the loop. Do you ever have to redo it or do you just leave it alone?

Shultzy,

The loop often lasts as long as the line. Somtimes, if it gets beat up, I redo it - but that's no big deal as you now know. I have never had my loop fail me or even get caught in in guides or tip top when fighting a fish, including the bows on the D.

Tell me more about those D bows - on the main branch? When, where, how - I know why, they are my favorite fish to do battle with...they run like a bonefish and leap like a tarpon!

Posted on: 2008/8/14 7:57

You're absolutely right about the D River Rainbows. They make it worth the trip. I find them hard to come by, but they are a blast! Its like when I used to play golf, the occasional good shot made it tempting to keep going back. However, I've just about given up on golf. I'd rather spend my little bit of free time fishing.

I just happened to be at the right spot at the right time. They didn't feed on top for long. I'll PM you with the locations.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 9:05

From Enola, Pa.
I have used them untill, I lost two of them in one day at Clarks.

Never again!

PaulG

Posted on: 2008/10/15 9:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com