Waterproof socks?

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

I had the idea of wearing a pair of Simms waterproof neoprene socks with my wading boots for wading in small streams where I never go much deeper than about 12 inches. The only problem is that "waterproof" seems to be a relative term. In fact, the material seems to soak up water like a sponge!
So, does anyone have any suggestions for a proven waterproof sock?
Thanks,
Mike.

I have a pair of Gortex socks I got from Cabelas for hiking and they work well in a down pour and tramping through puddles. But never actually waded a stream with them, so not sure how they will work for your situation.

I'm kinda confused...

Are you going over the top of the socks with the water? If so, they'll never be waterproof. If you're not swamping them from the top, chances are you have some sweaty feet, or you have a leak at the seems/puncture. I often take of my wader thinking I have a leak only to realize I have sweaty feet.

wsender wrote:
I'm kinda confused...

Are you going over the top of the socks with the water? If so, they'll never be waterproof. If you're not swamping them from the top, chances are you have some sweaty feet, or you have a leak at the seems/puncture. I often take of my wader thinking I have a leak only to realize I have sweaty feet.

No, there is a lot of water coming through. Way too much to be sweat (and I never get that wet in waders). The Simms socks were brand new and both feet behaved the same way. When I check them in a bucket of water, the water just permeates through the material, so I don't think it is a seam/puncture leak.

jreichel wrote:
I have a pair of Gortex socks I got from Cabelas for hiking and they work well in a down pour and tramping through puddles. But never actually waded a stream with them, so not sure how they will work for your situation. [quote/]

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I wear these. They are waterproof until you go over the top of them.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

I also have the Simms, mine don't leak.

I just got those simms wading socks, and will have to check them out. I had a pair of Patagonias that were a bit big, so water came in, but I got them smaller and tighter, should make a better seal for wet wading. The patagonias I wore like knee highs and kept the water out as long as they were tighter around my lower leg.

Thansk for the input guys! Maybe I just got a bad pair of Simms.
Mike.

How do you keep the stones out? I have a pair of Cabela's but they let stones and debris in at the top. I gave up and went to wool socks.

franklin wrote:
How do you keep the stones out? I have a pair of Cabela's but they let stones and debris in at the top. I gave up and went to wool socks.

I have never tried wading with them only hiking and rainy day boat fishing and they work well for that. I can see how they would sag and let debris in. Maybe a neoprene velcro strap at the top would help hold them up and seal out the debris. I use a pair of them to hold my socks up and pant legs in place under my waders.

I have the cabelas neoprene socks and haven't had any complaints other than quality. I have yet to run into the problem of debris getting in the top of them, at least not to the point that they bothered me. The simms socks seem to be a better option as they stay tighter to your leg and they don't have a sewn seam at the top that is likely to tear.

FrequentTyer:

I have the same problem with those simms wading socks. I finally wore them yesterday and when I took them off, the socks were soaked, and I did not go over the sock. I was careful not to. Didn't check in a bucket yet, they might even still be wet. I am trying to think of a way to waterproof them, but nikwax will wear off of both sides fast.

I couldn't find a waterproof sock listed on Simms web site. There were a couple neoprene wet-wading models, but didn't see any claim that they were waterproof. Which model is it that is problematic?

Kev

The Simms guard socks, I think I see now why they are the way they are. They are just guard socks, I thought it said waterproof on the tag, but I tossed the tag. The patagonias I have seemed to be waterproof more or less, until I submerged them the other year. anyway, they should be good for wet wading anyway.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1P2X

Although the Orvis ones, there is a review where the perosn says he/she wears socks underneath. I would imagine they would have said something about getting wet or keeping them dry...not sure now. Might have to go play with the two pairs I have and see.

None of them are made to keep water out totally, just a fill in for your boots. even the tops if tight will still allow water in your skin and muscles move and there for create gaps. if you are wanting to keep your feet dry and not wade above your calf then buy a pair of wellington type boot, add a few studs for traction and you are good to go. wet wading means just that you are going to get wet including your feet.

Chota just came out with a new product called knee high wading socks. They are basically knee high waders. They cost $70. You can check them out at chotaoutdoorgear.com.

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=108

Back