Wading Shoes, Light But Tough

T

troutbert

My wading shoes are trashed (again) and I'm looking for a pair that are a good balance between lightweight and rugged, for miles of backcountry fishing.

I've had the real solid leather type of boots in the past, and while I liked the support and the ruggedness, the weight is an issue when they're water-logged and your walking miles and miles.

My current boots are lightweight, which is nice, but they got shredded pretty fast. The uppers are just falling apart.

Making a boot both tough and light is a challenge for the manufacturer, but I've been seeing a lot of wading shoes using newer materials, rather than the old cowhide, and I wonder if any of these are both light and long-wearing for backcountry use.

I'm not an Orvis fan and never will be BUT I do love their boots. I will not buy any other pair of boots but Orvis because everytime they fall appart I can return them for a new pair which is about once a year.

Take a look at the Simms Guide boot. I have them with the Aquastealth. They hold up well (and of course I am likely to get years and years out of my shoes now). The uppers are leather and mesh. Makes for a tough/light combination. And the aquastealth sole doesn't get waterlogged or filled with mud. Get the studded tread. You'll never slip on moss again. They are pricey, but something's gotta give.

I recently bought a pair of Korkers Wetlands wading boots ($75 @ Gander Mountain). I haven't had them long enough to comment on durability, but I'm happy so far with the wieght and support they provide. I like the feature of swapping the soles. Mine came with a felt sole and a rubber cleat hiking sole. There are a 1/2 dozen different soles available (after market) including the studded aquastealth that Padraic suggested.

I use the rubber hiking sole when I'm say walking into a brookie stream and most of the wading is just the occaisional stream crossing. I use the felt when I park near a stream where I'll be wading.

The Korkers replaced a pair of Cableas Ultralights which I loved for weight and support. Unfortunately, durability was an issue for for them as I only got one year out of them.

Padraic,

Do you like the studded aquastealth as an "all around" sole? For $40 I can get a set for my Korkers.

Padraic,

Do you like the studded aquastealth as an "all around" sole? For $40 I can get a set for my Korkers.

Loved 'em. I used the LL Bean and the Simms Aquastealths and got a lot of wear out of both boots. I can't vouch for the Korkers, but if you like 'em I say go for it. They were the most trouble & worry free sole I ever used. The traction was awesome and snow and mud never junked up the sole.

Cabela's has an Ultra light wading boot for around 50 bucks. I bought a pair last year cause I needed boots NOW. They weigh almost nothing. I like them. I figured if I didn't like them, I only spent 50 and would get something better but I'm still using them.

troutbert - Count me in the list of users of the Cabela's Ultralight boots that are happy with them. I bought mine when they first came out, and they are wearing like iron! Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They don't have a whole lot of support, but they aren't terrible either. I rotate mine with a couple of other boots, letting them dry completely between uses. They just get rinsed off after a days fishing and hung up to dry.
My latest boot purchase is a pair of LL Bean River Treads with a studded AquaStealth sole. I've only used them a handful of times, but they give surprisingly good grip and are well made. LL Bean also backs their products well. The boots aren't very heavy, and they're made of a synthetic leather, so they don't shrink when dry. I never thought I'd find a pair of boots I liked as much as my Patagonia Beefy wading boots. but the River Treads are every bit as good so far. $129 isn't too bad for a pair of boots that are guaranteed to last. Check 'em out......Ed

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=river-treads-ii-wading-boots&categoryId=46206&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=3937&cat4=1109&shop_method=pp&feat=3937-tn

How is LL Bean's warantee with their boots? I'm thinking of getting one of the ones with the Aqua stealth cleats.

John - LL Bean in my experience is the best of the best as far as standing behind their products. If the boots fail, you'll get a new pair - no questions asked.

http://www.llbean.com/customerService/aboutLLBean/guarantee.html?feat=ln

The pair I had before the Cabelas was a pair of LL Bean with the Aquastealth sole...I really liked them because I walk A LOT when I fish. I found they had more than enough ankle support and the Aqua stelth sole was sufficient for my wading needs. However, if you fish some really treacherous creeks ( Penn's creek comes to mind with its basketball sized, slime covered boulders covering the bottom of chest -high water) You might want the studded ones. If you can I would try them on...I found them to run almost a full size smaller than marked.

A few suggestions and opinions:

If you want light, make sure to go with synthetic materials that dry quickly and don't absorb as much water. If you want good support; you MAY have to compromise on the weight issue. I prefer support ESPECIALLY on rough terrain.

Ditto on L.L. Bean & Orvis customer service comments.

I own a few pair of wading shoes with soles made of every material from 100% real wool felt to studded Aquastealth. I rate studded Aquastealth as OK but not as highly as some others do. It really depends on where you fish. If PLAIN, un-studded Aquastealth wouldn't be your choice on a particular stream, (Clark's is one place I DON'T like plain Aquastealth at); having the studded version only improves the grip marginally in my experience.

Studs SOMETIMES can be treacherous on clean smooth rocks. ESPECIALLY if they protrude far out from the sole material like they do on many of the studded Aquastealth shoes I've seen. In many case the sole material doesn't make much contact when walking on rocks so if you are rock hopping, you may end up slipping. If I had to pick one pair of wading shoes for all of my fishing; Chota STL studded felts would be it. They work as good or better than most other bottom types I have with minor issues with snow. For those situations I just make sure I have my wading staff because I still prefer studded felt over studded Aquastealth.

After all of that drivel; If I was planning to do a lot of long hiking in to streams I'd opt for the Korkers Konvertables. There really is something to be said for that sole swapping ability. The plain rubber lugs soles are great for the hike in; and stream-side you have lots of options including studded Aquastealth, plain and studded felt.

I have a pair of the Korkers and use them for exactly the same situation. If I KNOW I'm hiking out the same way I hiked in; I hide the regular soles in the bushes and pick them up on the way out. If I'm not sure; I stash them in a pocket. They work great!

Go with the Auqua Stealth. Another added bonus. You can hop in the car with them on and they do not Sh;;t up your floor boards like felt.

I bought mine unstudded and added sheet metal screws, I am now upgrading that to motorcycle tire studs for better wear.

I also wear the chocko sandals with the same sole material in the summer and will never go back.

I purchased some Cabelas Guide Tek boots last year and they are both light and supportive. I am very happy with those.

beeber

While they are not lite weights, I'd like to chime in about Weinbrenners "ultimate" wading shoe. They lasted me a year, came apart at the toe, They asked me to send them back to see if they could be repaired and it cost me $11.00. They said they were out of warranty (1 year) and were "too far gone" for repair. and sent them back.

I bought them because they are American made. They looked durable. (I went through Chota STL's in two years) And they are a very solid boot. Until they began to fall apart.

Well, I repaired them. (hand sewed where the factory said they could not be fixed) and I'll get another year out of them. And then I'll probably use the suggestions of this post for my new pair.

But I will NEVER, EVER but Weinbrenners again and when I hear the name, I will repeat what I just said.

Carry on......
Maurice

I want the Aquastealth Studded boots for fishing in the winter time. Felts and snow just do not mix.

I too switched from Cabelas Ultralights to Korkers this year.

I like the Korkers so far, pretty comfy, changeable soles are a real bonus. My one complaint is the foot opening, the tongue seems to be sewed too far up and can be a real pain to get over my stocking foot. I may have to do some "surgery". Other than that they are a good boot.

I got a pair of the Orvis Easy-on Battenkill Brogue wading boots for Christmas. So far I've been really happy with them. They might be a little bigger/heavier than what you are looking for, but they are extremely durable, offer great support, and easy to slip on and off thanks to the zipper on the side. You literally tie you laces once when you first wear the boots and never have to mess with them again. These boots are also very well insulated, my feet didn't get cold this winter.

I have the cabela's ultralights. I am a huge fan. They are priced very well too.

I hike in them near as much as I fish as I like to get away from people and I am real impatient. If I am not catching fish in a short time I move, and move, and move. Not the best tatic for fishing but I am very impatient.

I get out fishing a few days a week from March to Sept and they have held up well. Had them all of last season and they are pretty much as new.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I ended up getting the Simms Guide model boots. Like Padraic said they are solid boots with good support. Maybe not real lightweight but not extremely heavy either, and they should hold up well. Plus, I'm not a cheapskate (well maybe somewhat) but they have them on sale at Yellow Breeches Outfitters for 50% off. They had my size and still have a fair number of boxes of boots left. You might stop in and see if they have your size. The guy managing the store, Art, and is a real nice guy. (None of that traditional fly shop grumpiness. Maybe he just hasn't been doing this long enough for that to kick in yet. :) )

bede wrote:
.... I am very impatient.
Based on your strong opinions on Flyfishers Paradise and Gink, I'm not surprised by that. (Just yankin' yer chain a little, buddy!) :-D

Back