Wading boots?

henrydavid

henrydavid

Last outing of last year my Frogg Toggs split the sole off the boot, I'm in the market for new boots, any suggestions? Would like to keep it under $100 and hopefully a boot that lasts more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Simms Freestones are $99...I had an old pair a few years ago and they were tough. Getting the new version now with felt.

FWIW, I’ve never gotten a pair of wading boots to last more than 2 seasons before the stitching blows out. I know they get wet and all that, and I’m climbing and flexing them a lot but I don’t get why they don’t hold up that well. For comparison sake, I have a pair of Columbia hiking boots that are 7 years old and get way more miles than my wading boots do, and the stitching is still perfect in them.

Swattie87 wrote:
I know they get wet and all that, and I’m climbing and flexing them a lot but I don’t get why they don’t hold up that well. For comparison sake, I have a pair of Columbia hiking boots that are 7 years old and get way more miles than my wading boots do, and the stitching is still perfect in them.

I agree. It's been my experience that liberal use of Shoe Goo can help keep wading boots patched and allow maybe one additional season out of them.

henrydavid wrote:
Last outing of last year my Frogg Toggs split the sole off the boot, I'm in the market for new boots, any suggestions? Would like to keep it under $100 and hopefully a boot that lasts more than 1 or 2 seasons.

The Cabelas Ultralights (there's another current thread on 'em) are a good price and I have had them hold up for 2-3 seasons.

I've only used Orvis and always been happy with them but I never tried this model:

River Guard™ Clearwater® II Boot

6G19L2SF.jpg

They're on sale $69 (felt) - $89 (studded non felt).

Their River Guard™ Easy-On Brogues are on sale also but only small sizes are left.

In my experience with wading boots you get what you pay for. I went the cheap route once. The boots did'nt even last one season. Never again. I bought a pair of Simms "Guide" boots with Vibram soles and they lasted 5 full years. I just bought my second pair last spring and plan to get at least 4 more years out of them. IMO the best of the least expensive wading boots on the market are the Simms "Freestone" with felt soles. They are good quality. The sole is sewn on, not glued and they are a reasonable price. I just bought a pair at the Flyfishing show in Somerset NJ. so I would have a second set of boots.

I have a pair of Weinbrenner Ultimate Wading Shoe. They have lasted me 8 years with moderate use each season. Best 130 dollars ever spent. I can't find them anymore. Nothing lasts forever :(

Thanks for the replies, what I've heard from various sources is that most wading boots don't last more than a couple seasons. If you do any amount of bush wacking or scaling up and down creek and river banks your wading boots are going to take a beating.

I'm considering a pair or packable boots for warmer weather, hiking down to the spot in jeans and boots and changing into the waders streamside.

For the early spring I'm going to need warmer all around boots and I'm still pricing and tossing it around, trying to protect my first pair of Simms waders.

I would get the simms Feestone boots. I have a pair of Simms rivershed boots I've had for 5 years of tough use. They are about done, the soles are beginning to split at the toe and the rubber that goes around the lower part of the foot from the toe to heal is splitting where it comes together. I just bought a new pair of boots, but the old ones will be retained as a spare set.

Simms, toughest I have ever worn. Currently have the riversheds. got 3 years of a lot of days on them. Still going strong.

Thanks again guys, hoping to buy these locally so I can get out next week. I've never used Felt boots before, will they grip the rocks on the Lehigh?

I also have the Cabelas Ultralite boots. Pretty solid boot and the cleats will help a lot in the slime and alge. I think this is thier second season, but might be the third. Boots are holding up, but the cleats are ready for replacement.

My Simms guide boots are entering their third season and won't make it through. I should be replacing before I fall on my face. No tread left. I don't even fish that much.

But, thats as long as any other boots have ever made it for me. More expensive, though. Stitching is still good.

My next boots, I will go back to Chota. Mid-priced but have been comfortable for me and lasts as long as anything.

Felt grips rock better than rubber. Studded felt better than studded rubber. But studded always beats non-studded. And thats on rock. Rubber wins on soil, mud, or snow, plus dries quicker for invasive.

henrydavid wrote:
Thanks again guys, hoping to buy these locally so I can get out next week. I've never used Felt boots before, will they grip the rocks on the Lehigh?

Felt will grip the Lehigh rocks. Especially with studs. Check out the Chota Abrahms or the Stl's.

I am currently trying to decide on a pair of felts as I have to send my Simms in for repairs\replacements. Well I don't have a back up pair so I don't want to send them in until I buy another cheap pair.

Simms. Plain and dimple. Great life and outstanding customer service in the rare occasion that something goes wrong.

Simms are more money but they last and the cost per year of use is so much better than their competition.

Anyone have experience with Chota studded felt. I have Korkers Chrome and am not satisfied with them, specifically they are flat bottomed, no heel. I have added heel cups and arches.

My buddy has chota studded felts. 9 yrs and still going. Might be my next pair too.

Had studded Chota felts. They really held up and they were the lower end pair. Finally wore out and I went with the Simms rubber hype...never again. I beat the crap out of my boots with the wading I do and they are falling apart a little after a year. When I say they are falling a part, I mean it.

Just gave Chota a call and ordered a pair of the STL's. Have heard nothing but good things about them and they seem really well made.

Well,

Chota STL - lasted me 3 years. $160.

Simms Guide boot - About 2 years. This next outing will be their last. $200.

But the difference might be chalked up to soles. The Chota's were studded felt, the Simms studded rubber. I think the Simms were a higher quality boot in terms of materials and seams on the uppers, which are still in ok shape. The tread merely wore flat, they're like racing slicks now. I did stick new studs in them to try to get a little more time, but they're wearing QUICK with no rubber to support em.

It's very possible a lug pair of the Chota's woulda done the same thing, or that a felt pair of Simms (if such a thing existed) would last a few more years.

Back