Wading Boot Dilema

MKern

MKern

I just got new waders and am looking for new boots. I have to make the decision between regular felt-soled and felt with screws/studs. I do a lot of walking and was wondering if the studs wear down quickly.

i use felt, and recently added sheet metal screws for studs, they work well, they're cheap, and i keep an eye on them, when a few get worn, unscrew and replace.

Matt,
I'm also going to be buying new boots this year and they will definitely have studs. My friend who fishes about 150 days a year probably walks close to 1000 miles a season in his. In December I asked to look at his studs for the reason you asked about. They were worn some but not nearly as bad as I would have thought.He's had them for 2 years now too He wears the Chota's. I think they are the STLs. He is like you too in that he fishes a lot of little brookie streams that require a nice hike to get too.

Hope this helps.

MKern:

You will a ton of opinions on wading shoes so here's mine:

Chota STL's are great but the studs will wear out in about a season depending on conditions. Of course you can easily replace them. The STL's are my favorite wading shoes and have held up great after more than 4 seasons of HARD use.

But also take a look at the Korker Konvertables. You can wear the regular rubber lug sole for the hike in, and then swap out to the sole of your choice stream side. They are redesigned for 2007 so IF you hear stories about soles "popping" off, they are probably talking about the pre-2007 shoes. BTW, I have the "old" version and NEVER had a sole come loose.

Obviously how much you want to spend may impact your decision too and both of these shoes are over $100.

Price doesn't matter much.... I work at a fly shop and get a crazy employee manufactures discount (40-60%).
For mountain streams I usually use hiking boots and fish from the bank, but in the heat of summer I have a pair of hybid shoe/sandles and a spare pair of boots.

Dear MKern,

If anybody is going to wear down studs on a wading boot it is me, and I have never worn the studs down to a point anywhere close to where they no longer have a secure grip. I usually have the actual upper boot part get cracked or damaged before the studs are wiped out.

Get the studs, the grip is far better than with regular felt.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Go with a pair of boots with the studded aquastealth. If you hike a good distance the soles do not absoed water thus are lighter. Secondly: they stay very clean and allow you to get in and out of a car with out dragging half the creekside into the foot well. I have had mine for several years and love them.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=footwear&PROD.ID=14437

MKern wrote:
Price doesn't matter much.... I work at a fly shop and get a crazy employee manufactures discount (40-60%).

That doesn't sound much like a dilemma at all. :cool:

I just picked up a pair of Chota's. This pair comes with the cleats (Look like wood screws) They are a lot more comfortable than my other pair of boots.

If/When the cleats wear out, do i have to order more, or would wood screws sufice?

what kind of discount do members of paflyfish.com get from said fly shop?

I would have to say Simms Freestone with studs . I fished 150 days plus this year and they have stood up great . I walk alot and the studs are still intact , only problem is the flet wore down a tad in the back . But that is to be expected from alot of use .. I ve tried alot of the brands out there and SImms kicks but for the boots . As far as waders Ive never been impressed ,Patagonia is the way for that . Just my 2 cents !!!!
ps I f you fish alot and your boots never get a chance to dry over night , then dont get a boot that is made of syntentic material upper it will blow out ,....

MKern wrote:
If/When the cleats wear out, do I have to order more, or would wood screws suffice?

Regular 1/2" X #10 sheet metal screws with a 1/4" hex head WILL work but not as good as the Chota studs. The Chota studs are harder metal and they have a head design that has raised ridges on the top of the screw head that really cut through the rock slime. Plus the back side of the heads have ridges to help the screw grip the plastic stud it screws into.

They also have a completely different thread pitch similar to a sheet-rock screw which holds better in plastic than a regular pitch sheet metal screw thread.

Take my advice and buy a spare set NOW. Certain studs will wear out faster than others especially the studs on the ball of the foot. If you wait until they are completely gone they can be a pain in the butt to get out. On occasion I have replaced those studs before the rest of them were worn enough to change.

Congrats on a great pair of shoes!

I have 2 pair of wading shoes - one felt and one felt with studs.
I wear the plain felts on streams that aren't very slippery - most of the limestone streams and the smaller freestones.
And on larger water - streams like the clarion and the yough - I'm definitely better off with studs.
I used to wear studded boots only, but I've found tht after some wear - usually about a year of hard fishing - the felts wear down some and the studs stick out more. This make walking in them a little uncomfortable and bothers my middle aged back.
So basically, I just use the studs where needed.
Buying 2 pair of boots should be no problem for you with that discount!

I recommend either getting studs or just get felts and put in sheet metal screws. With the metal, the felt soles will last much longer (3 times as long at least).

A friend of mine says instead of felt, get shoes with that rubbery type sole, but with spikes. (He has the Simms). He says those rubbery type soles, Aquastealth I think, are slippery, but with the spikes you have good grip, and they last forever.

If you do a lot of walking on backcountry streams, regular felt soles without spikes don't last long at all. A season or two is about all.

If you're getting a good discount, go for the Simms Guide boots with the Aquastealth type soles, with spikes.

Back