Waders

eseabee1

eseabee1

Sorry for asking so much but just curious , I have always just used my Chest waders I use for duck hunting , but find out that they get a little warm when the weather starts getting warmer , I was just curious to what everyone uses ? and do you like chest waders or hip ?

Chest high stocking foot gore-tex waders.

Chest, waist highs & hip waders. All breathable. Those along w/ wading wading all have their application.

I wear waist highs. They are ALOT cooler and I do not wade anywhere I would need chest highs.

It all depends on what streams you're fishing. I wouldn't go to a brookie stream in the summer with my breathable chest waders, and I wouldn't go to a stream like Penns and expect to wade in my barn boots.

Typically I wade in wading pants (waist waders) in the summer. A lot cooler, but I will go with a chest wader depending on the stream. Both are breathable stockingfoot waders.

I wouldn't go to a brookie stream in the summer with my breathable chest waders, and I wouldn't go to a stream like Penns and expect to wade in my barn boots.

I do both in the breathable chesties. For different reasons, but the same result nonetheless.

Truthfully, though, while I couldn't get by on a brookie stream with hippies (I squat and get my butt wet too much), waste highs make a lot of sense for small mountain streams.

The reasons for wearing waders even in warm temps and shallow water involve:

1. ticks and other bugs.
2. Poison ivy
3. concerns about getting cut and infected from water (even clean water still has dangerous bacteria).

pcray1231 wrote:
The reasons for wearing waders even in warm temps and shallow water involve:

1. ticks and other bugs.
2. Poison ivy
3. concerns about getting cut and infected from water (even clean water still has dangerous bacteria).

Same reasons I wear them in warm weather. If it's that warm and water is shallow just roll them down inside themselves and cinch your wading belt tight to hold them up. You can even remove the suspender straps if you want. Not quite the same as a pair of waist highs but it will get the job done.

Pcray, I know what you're saying. I end up kneeling in the water with just barn boots on. I leave with wet jeans a lot.

so I take it breathable is the way to go thanks all

check out steepandcheap.com......if you go to gear cache they have some killer deals on redington waders. If you search them here or online they have great reviews. If you are looking for a good quality wader at a unbelievable price this is a great place to start, but the deal is only for another day or so.

It will come around again....you can usually find fly fishing specific things on that site about every 2 weeks or so. It is basically overstock from backcountry.com

Simms G3 convertable hip/chest waders. Love them. Fish them at the hip 99% of the time....

Chest Waders in all weather. GORE-TEX breathable stockingfoot.

Same as pcray has pointed out. Ticks SUCK. The only problem is in the summer when my the inside of my waders becomes alive and a breeding ground...nasty rashes can happen. (Yesterday I saw an ad for a spray called "ClearGear"
( http://www.cleargearspray.com/Uses_71.htm ) claiming to "keep your waders clean, odor free and is safe for your gear".

Simms Freestone and Dick's Field and Stream (always bought on sale). I have one pair of Field and Stream waist high...wore them twice. I tend to encounter water that is chest high even in the summer.

Hodgemans and neoprene waders are too restrictive and about give you a heart attack trying to get on and off. I'm anemic and can get out of breath way to easy. If you wear proper socks in wicking/wool layers...and under armor like breathable long johns you can get away with GORE-TEX year round.

Back