Waders again.....

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Well, its time for new waders. My last two pair were Reddington barrierflex. I liked them because they had knee pads. (a piece of neoprene shoved between the general wader and another skin up past the knee. Alas, after a year they leaked...and after chasing the leaks usually punctures from briars it is time to get a new pair.

Here is my dilema, I want gortex, thinking its a tougher material and will withstand my bushwacking. But you cannot even get close to that name for under $350. I have a greenlifght to spend it but I am not convinced it will last twice as long than a less expensive pair.

Also, I find that most of the time I am wearing the waders rolled down to my waist so portability is a plus. (removable suspenders, etc)

I am looking hard at the Hodgeman A/P (gray) but they are tough to find in my size (L). So I was willing to go up a grade to the Hodgeman Guidelight Seems like a nice heavy-duty wader but a few dollars more. Still with a $100 studed boot I am in under $300. (less than the Gortex route w/o boots)

I also need boots since my "pile of shi7" Gary Borger ultimate wading shoe wore out in a year and they refused to stand behind them. So I am thinking of going back to Chotas I got two years out of them before I has to hand sew the toes and wore them for another two years replacing the felts 3 times in between and studs four times. I do alot of walking and hiking so support is important and studs are too. But I am leaning toward a $60 boot from Hodgeman with no studs but a rubber heel and toe.

This Hodgeman stuff seems like a good deal for the money. Do you think its too good to be true? Should I go for broke on the high end gortex? I am fishing 50-60 times a year maybe more....usually walking over a mile and up to 3-4 each time.

What kind of boots and waders should I get to provide the longest wear, comfort and toughest waterproofness (is that a word) for around $300. If its not possible. tell me what will work and I can try to cruch the numbers to rationalize the purchase.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheapskate in York with wet feet,

Maurice

My $0.02 Most breathable fabrics work as well as Gortex. It's not the breathable fabric, it's what it is attached to. That said Gortex is concerned about the brand name and does try to make sure companies using their product put out a product worthy of their name. I have a lot of experience with breathable fabrics while hunting and have not found much of a difference if the product came from a reputable company.

Have you looked at the Orvis Trailwaters? They are breathable, have some extra material in the knees, and have a light upper section that folds down to make a waist wader or when hiking. It does go around $300.

I have a pair of Korkers that I use if I hike a ways in. I put on the hiking treads then switch to the felt studs for fishing.

I haven't worn out a pair of waders since I have three pairs. I went on camping/fishing trips and forgot to pack waders . Had to buy a pair locally. Did this twice. So I rotate them.

I've got to agree with Tobsasco_Joe in that most breathable materials today basically perform very much the same. Breathable materials have come a long way since Gore-Tex first came out.

I've heard very good things about Hodgeman Waders, not sure about their boots, I've just not heard much feedback. I was once told by a guy who worked in a fly shop that Hodgeman actually manufactures quite a bit of waders for other companies and applies different tags. Not sure how true that is or not, maybe somebody else can confirm?

Personally, I've got the LL Bean West Branch waders and I LOVE them. They have four layers and are extremely durable and come with an LL Bean guarantee. Also they were under $200. The only problem I've had with them was the seams in the crotch had holes along the seam. While I could have sent them back, and risk the same thing happening, I sealed them with Aquaseal. Good as new, if not better now with the extra reinforcement.

Also worth mentioning is that Orvis is having a sale on Waders too. Their Guide Series is now under $200 I believe, not sure about size availability.

I'm not sure which direction to send you in regarding boots, but hope the wader info that I provided is helpful. :cool:

Let us know what you end up going with.

jaybo41 wrote:

Personally, I've got the LL Bean West Branch waders and I LOVE them. They have four layers and are extremely durable and come with an LL Bean guarantee. Also they were under $200. The only problem I've had with them was the seams in the crotch had holes along the seam. While I could have sent them back, and risk the same thing happening, I sealed them with Aquaseal. Good as new, if not better now with the extra reinforcement.

Also worth mentioning is that Orvis is having a sale on Waders too. Their Guide Series is now under $200 I believe, not sure about size availability.

I'm not sure which direction to send you in regarding boots, but hope the wader info that I provided is helpful. :cool:

Let us know what you end up going with.

Jaybo...two things, I couldn't find the west branch waders on the bean site. So I emailed them and they say they discontinued them. They were my first choince and had they had them I wouldn't have had to ask this question. Bummer. But here I am. I have looked hard at the Orvis Guide Series and like the sale price but the color...YUK! I prefer kacki over mustard yellow. even though its a dark mustard.

anyway, I am also looking hard at the tail waters with the built in boot and studs at $400...I imagine I'll have to think hard too.

I also talked with the people at LLBean and they are hell bent on the Wicked Tough's but with boots it takes me to $500.

So here I am...and I ask again...would a hodgeman 4 layer upper/5 layer knee/seat area @ $189 be as durable as a goretex of the same ratio? for $200 more?

Mo, as far as the removable suspenders goes, my Cabelas dry plus breathables waders have suspenders that (because they have a male on left side and female on the right) fasten around my waist when I roll them down. They also have a belt loop (although mine seems a tad high) so that when you do roll them down, they stay on your waist and not sag like gangster pants.

I looked at the Orvis pro guide which are now on sale on the website for 199 down from 289...I liked them and that's pretty good deal on sale.

As far as boots, since I have not had a lot of luck with boots, I bought a pair of Cabela's lightweight boots like Jack has and figure for less than 50 bucks if I have to get new pair every couple years i can deal with that.

I have a similar set up as tom. I've had the cabela's studded lightweights for a year and they are still going strong. I hope to get another year out of them. The waders have been fine for two years now.

I fish about the same amount as you, 50-60 trips a year. I’ve had Orvis Pro-Guides for over 3 seasons until I developed a seam leak in them. They were replaced by Orvis with a new pair. The knees on the waders are reinforced. They have belt loops and a wading belt so you can remove the suspenders and tuck the top in to make it a waist high wader. They are on sale for $199. They worked well for me, but as they say “you’re mileage may very.”

Mustard Yellow?…..time for a new monitor too maybe?

Orvis Pro Guides

Yeah, Mo they are not yellow...

Afish, lose the link..I posted the same one above without making the page stretch.

I'm gonna go put that in the annoying thread..."people who post links that are too big for the page..."

I'm using the quick reply so you'll just have to imagine the smiley, Afish.

Google up Dan Baileys then punch in cleats and check them out.I had a pair that last for years.Loved them.Best hold on about anything and have enough weight to keep you upright in deep fast current-lol.
The Red head bone dry neoprene from BPS have held up as well as any waders I ever owned.Less than $100 Get 2 pairs and the cleats [49.95] and your set for a decade unless you get into the cactus under the barbed wire.lol
Seriously-the aluminum cleats make everything obsolete but I can't vouch for this brand.

afishinado wrote:
Mustard Yellow?…..time for a new monitor too maybe?

Yer probably right about the monitor too....what color are they then? I'll go check on of the other computers int he house.

The cleated overshoes might be overkill in most eastern streams but if you expect to hit any of the ``Take your life in your hands'' big fast waters where almost armpit deep is routine,they are definitely the way to go.Never slipped once with them.
Problem is a pair will last for years so the shops don't make the money they do with felts and wading shoes.So they sorta keep these in the back room.

Mo:
I can only offer my own, .o1cent to this thread, because every one of us, "has our own favorites"!
I fish a tad more than what you mentioned, you fish a year and I've been using the Korker convertible soled boots for 3 years now and "IF" I ever manage to wear them out, I'll get another pair!
It's already been mentioned "one great thing about these boots", and I agree- because I do the same thing.......... hike into the water wearing the hiking boot sole, then pop those off and pop in the cleated felts or, straight cleats or maybe, even, the straight felt soles.... depending. When done for the day, I change out and am wearing a very comfortable hiking boot again, not wading boots, to get back to my rig.
If you don't want the hassles of carrying the felts in the back of your vest, Korker also offers the "Aqua Stealth" sole for these boots. But, personally, I tried them and took them back to the fly shop, along with a butt full of bruises.
"For wader choices", I'm sold on both, the Ghillie's brand and Chota's waders. My Chotes, have a built on boot, made of neoprene and soft, stretchable fabric, plus a rubber compound-also soft and pliable. They are not anything, like "rubber boot foot waders" we're all familiar with. The Chotas are like wearing moccasins all day, except with excellent foot-bed and ankle support!
Both of these are made to roll down into pants, as well.
Where I fish, locally, it could be renamed; "The Blackberry Bushes Capital Of The World" and I've yet to puncture either the Chotas or, the Ghillie's on the thorns.
They're very breathable, tough and multi-layers in the seat and knees.(both brands).
I'd definitely do a lot of shopping still. This time of year, there's an awful lot of close out sales at on line shops, even places like "E-bay Stores", to choose from!

That's interesting Mo, I didn't realize the Westbranch waders were discontinued. The Hodgeman A/P's look like a nice boot for the buck. I still think that the Orvis Guide waders are the way to go for the money. That's a good sale price on them and they are great boots. If I were in the market, I'd buy a pair. 5 Layers for under $200 and on sale, tough to beat that price. And yes, as has been mentioned and shown in picture, they are khaki.

Maurice

You're definitely the hardest person, I've every seen on waders and boots.

Those Orvis guides, that are on sale looks like a good deal. Remember that time down in Maryland, I was looking at that pair of Chota's that we both liked, might want to think about them. I was going to get a pair untill I got the Orvis Brogues for the easy on and off, after three years no problem with them.

Like someone said good time of the year, for some good sales!

Good luck!

Paul G

Patagonia waders are my choice. Bomb proof just like everything else they make. They also stand behind their products 100%.

Not sure on this subject.

I am beginning to think it is better to buy el cheapos each year than spend big bucks.

I have Simms- namely because they have my size- xxlshort. Not many places have xxlshort so I was kinda stuck there. If you not size dependent, I would consider el cheapos. I have fished a ton this year (70 days) and my waders are starting to show wear.

I also say it is not the number of years you own them but how often you use them.

My thought again is $89 (if I can find my size) every year or so or $400 every three. Can anyone suggest a brand with my size? Thanks Paul

Hi, Paul;
I'd gladly contact a few friends of mine in the industry, to see about the wader size you requested, but not many wader companies go by the "xxlshort" designation.
Most use the; "shoe/boot size-inseam-height and weight" formula for sizing their goods. There's a lot of year end close outs, going on right now, so like I mentioned earlier; "it's a great time to be buying next year's gear!"
It's always cracked me up, that fly fishing is "so eccentric", that we have such things as "Last year's model", for something like waders!?!
But, none the less, we DO so now's the time to get in on some decent deals. (if you don't mind being laughed at and called "low class" on the water, being seen "wearing last year's model of waders"!?! (yeah, right)
Let me know, and I'll be happy to do some checking for you!
Paul W.

Maurice
I just got my pair of Orvis Pro Guide's. Will wear them this weekend. At 199 plus shipping I felt they were a great deal. They seem great and I was able to get a Large Short w/ a small stocking foot size. The neoprene is shaped more like a sock then most. Can't wait till Sunday to get them to the stream for a test run...
Bill A

Can anyone tell me some quality waders that work well in winter.. prefferably on the cheaper side..

Back