Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Waders again.....

From Room 109
Patagonia waders are my choice. Bomb proof just like everything else they make. They also stand behind their products 100%.

Posted on: 2007/10/26 9:54

Not sure on this subject.

I am beginning to think it is better to buy el cheapos each year than spend big bucks.

I have Simms- namely because they have my size- xxlshort. Not many places have xxlshort so I was kinda stuck there. If you not size dependent, I would consider el cheapos. I have fished a ton this year (70 days) and my waders are starting to show wear.

I also say it is not the number of years you own them but how often you use them.

My thought again is $89 (if I can find my size) every year or so or $400 every three. Can anyone suggest a brand with my size? Thanks Paul

Posted on: 2007/10/26 10:19

Guest_
Hi, Paul;
I'd gladly contact a few friends of mine in the industry, to see about the wader size you requested, but not many wader companies go by the "xxlshort" designation.
Most use the; "shoe/boot size-inseam-height and weight" formula for sizing their goods. There's a lot of year end close outs, going on right now, so like I mentioned earlier; "it's a great time to be buying next year's gear!"
It's always cracked me up, that fly fishing is "so eccentric", that we have such things as "Last year's model", for something like waders!?!
But, none the less, we DO so now's the time to get in on some decent deals. (if you don't mind being laughed at and called "low class" on the water, being seen "wearing last year's model of waders"!?! (yeah, right)
Let me know, and I'll be happy to do some checking for you!
Paul W.

Posted on: 2007/10/26 14:25

Maurice
I just got my pair of Orvis Pro Guide's. Will wear them this weekend. At 199 plus shipping I felt they were a great deal. They seem great and I was able to get a Large Short w/ a small stocking foot size. The neoprene is shaped more like a sock then most. Can't wait till Sunday to get them to the stream for a test run...
Bill A

Posted on: 2007/10/26 15:11

From East Stroudsburg/Reading
Can anyone tell me some quality waders that work well in winter.. prefferably on the cheaper side..

Posted on: 2007/10/26 17:43

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Hogeman waders with Orvis brogues...really good combo...the orvis pro guides are one of the toughest out there..

Posted on: 2007/10/26 18:22

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Pittsburgh
I'm the toughest person on waders. I fish a lot, and favor the large rocky streams - Yough, Clarion, Little Juniata.
I've had trouble with all of them, and don't think anyone really makes a good pair.
I even sprung for Simms guide weights about 6-7 years ago, and still had the heels start leaking after a year or so. And Simms said the problem was my fault and charged me $75 to repair them. I'll never by their waders again - at least the other companies stand behind their product.
That said, I bought the Orvis pro guides in spring 06. They were fine all last year. When I wore them for the first time this year, they leaked in several places. I sent them back in June, and Orvis replaced them no problem - didn't even charge me the $30 handling fee. For $199 - I paid $289 - I don't think you can go wrong. And Orvis will stand behind them.
If you want gore tex, I saw that Simms has a pair out now that cost $249 - called L series or something like that. I was looking at them in a local fly shop last week. In spite of my experience with them, lots of guys swear by Simms, and they are probably worth looking into

Posted on: 2007/10/27 9:54

flybinder- Thanks, I will let you know. Yea, my size thing is problematic. Might be easier if I just lose more weight. I am hoping I am not in the market for waders for at least a year. Paul

Posted on: 2007/10/27 13:20

From Bozeman
jdemko,

I just wear my regular breathables. Wear a layer of fleece or underarmour, as well as some wool knee socks.

Posted on: 2007/10/27 18:05

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I just ordered a pair of the Orvis waders, and I'll report how they work. I decided to go with them because it sounds like even the best waders fail pretty often, and in my experience Orvis's customer service is second to none.

Posted on: 2007/10/28 18:35

- Homer J. Simpson

From Dallastown, PA
Well. the verdict is in...for the wades I ordered the Orvis GSII model. It was hard to pass up a deal like that on a wader with those features. Just hoping they are not too hot in the summer. If so I may have to get my old ones cut down and stictched for waist highs or hippers...even though they leak a little, it isn't uncomfortable to have wet feet in the summer.

And for the boots I am going with the Korkers Streamborn model. For now without the studs...we will see how it goes but I think I will be getting the studs befor the trip to Erie this year.

On a good note, I was able to get the Korkers through a Flyshop in Lancaster that supports our TU chapter.

Yes, I am pretty pumped about the set up...

Thanks everyone for the advice, and experience.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/11/6 9:25

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

JDemko wrote:
Can anyone tell me some quality waders that work well in winter.. prefferably on the cheaper side..

Well JD, depends on what you define as cheap. To me that is under $100. There are lots of neoprene waders out there for $100 or less if you just plan to use them in winter. But I would go with a bootfoot breathable for the $130-150 range unless you do alot of fishin and hiking the bootfoot may not be right for you. But now you are into more cost.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 9:42

From Enola, Pa.
Maurice

Looks like a good boot for you, lots of rubber around the toes, can't go wrong with the Oriis waders...good price!

PaulG

Posted on: 2007/11/6 10:36

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
Somebody (Maurice maybe..) mentioned having trouble with the Weinbrenner Borger shoes. I would have had trouble believing it if the same thing had not happened to me with a pair I bought in Sept. of 06. They're coming apart at the seams. Unreal.. I bought a pair when they first came out, shortly after the meteorite took out the dinosaurs, and they lasted for 4 years of heavy service. No more though.

On waders, I too have the Bean waders mentioned earlier in the thread. They're OK, but leaked in both heels the first season. I don't spend that much time in full waders anyway. With my inner ear problems, I have no business being any deeper than my waist. So, these days I wear out a pair of the Hodgeman guide pants every year. At 89-99 bucks a pair, it's enough but not too bad.

This next season though, I'm trying an experiment. I'm gonna buy a pair of the Cabelas 3 Forks waders for 50 bucks and then take them to the little Korean lady that does Pentunia's dry cleaning and have her convert them into waist highs. They ought to be bullet proof and as waist highs, I don't care if they aren't breathable.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 11:08

From Chester County
Mo wrote:

“I have looked hard at the Orvis Guide Series and like the sale price but the color...YUK!”

Mo, I know you are concerned about your waders clashing with your fly fishing attire, but don’t worry, you’ll still be stylin on the stream, no matter what color you wear.

At the $200 sale price, the Orvis Pro Guides are a great value for a great wader. They ARE a little on the heavy side for summer, but overall they are the best wader I have worn to date. In addition, Orvis has great customer service and will stand behind their products if they fail.

Good luck with the waders.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 11:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
91 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com