Ugly Fly Rods!

I like em.

I agree with the word "ugly." Way too loud but IIRC at least one forum member has one. It will be interesting to see if the line take off or not.

It's not traditional but it seems practical.

They make the same rod without the red handle on at least some of the models. At least that is what I was told at the somerset fly show.

The same rod is made with a cork handle for $50 less. The Vapen Red's handle, as stated on their website is a polymer grip made by Winn, a company specializing in golf club grips.

Hatch Magazine reviewed the rod and the handle and says the polymer grip does not get as slippery as cork but they also state that no one really complains about a slippery cork handle.

Review: Redington Vapen Red Fly Rod

I like cork.

A problem I have with golf club manufacturers is that they are introducing a new model/technology every year. At least it seems that way. I hope that does not happen with fly rods.

Probably good for heavy rods and big fish. Not as slick as cork. Offshore rods often use tennis racket wrapping to aid with gripping. GG

RCFetter wrote:

A problem I have with golf club manufacturers is that they are introducing a new model/technology every year. At least it seems that way. I hope that does not happen with fly rods.

I think it may be too late. Seems the rod companies already introduce new stuff as often as the market will bear.

It's not just fly fishing or golf though. Pic a sport, any sport.

These new grips are ugly, particularly due to the color. However, from a practical standpoint they are probably a better option than the crappy cork that appears on many rods, particularly the rods originating in Asia.

I think that by the time those synthetic grips break down, you will have gotten your money's worth from the rod.

PennKev wrote:
These new grips are ugly, particularly due to the color. However, from a practical standpoint they are probably a better option than the crappy cork that appears on many rods, particularly the rods originating in Asia.

I think that by the time those synthetic grips break down, you will have gotten your money's worth from the rod.

Yeah but Redington will give you a replacement for around $3.50.

If they can make it in red, they can make it in black. It would look much better if it weren't so bright.

Looking cool on the creek. GG

Back