Tippet Ring

fishbaithohaha

fishbaithohaha

Probably covered by a different thread but, using tippet ring. Best used for.......?

Following is a site for tying in tippet rings.

http://midcurrent.com/videos/attaching-tippet-rings-to-leaders/

They have possibilities anywhere you join two pieces of leader/tippet together. Rings allow you to avoid nail knots, surgeons knots, etc. and eliminates the need to cut back you leader every time you re-tie tippet. They also provide a convenient and easy point of attachment for droppers in multi-fly rigs.

Personally, I really like using them on the end of a sighter in a Czech rig so that I preserve the full length of the sighter when re-rigging. I've also used them on the end of a fairly heavy butt section for indicator rigs, however they are a little small for use with heavy mono. Not sure using them with anything above 20lb test is feasible. The hole is pretty small.

Notice that the video you linked also shows small swivels. Probably a better choice when using heavier mono. Either way, rings or swivels, they can make rigging easier and re-rigging faster. You can also easily do without them. Some people might have a problem adding "hardware" to their leaders but they already fish an indicator, split shot, and a weighted fly. It's really up to you, these aren't a "must have" for most people.

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

There is another thread on this topic. You should search it out, I think there was some good info there. Bottom line, tippet rings make leaders last longer. The tippet ring allows you to tie a new piece of tippet to the ring each time you replace the tippet, you won't eat into the leader each time you tie on a new tippet. The work with both hand tied or knotless leaders. They will float in the surface film so they can be used when fishing dry flies as well as for streamers, and nymphs. I use them on all my leaders now.

Notice that the video you linked also shows small swivels. Probably a better choice when using heavier mono.

Starting last year I've been using small swivels more and more on my nymph and streamer rigs. As mentioned, like tippet rings they save your leader and make re-rigging a lot easier. Haven't used them with dries yet, but as boychick mentioned tippet rings and some of smaller swivels are light enough to not sink your fly.

Another advantage to using swivels and tippet rings is you can leave the tag end on the knot and attach your split shot to it, this way if your spit shot gets snagged up most of the time you'll just loose your shot instead of your whole rig. Just learned about that last month at a presentation and have been using that method since. Plus you don't have to worry about your split shot sliding down to your flies......just gotta tie in an overhand knot or two to make sure they don't slide off the tag end.

The use of the Barbie doll in that video is really clever,cracked me up.

I use tippet rings, especially on nymph rigs. They increase the life of the leader and make changing tippet faster. I sometimes leave the tag end long and attach a nymph to it.

Using swivels with streamers reduces line twist which I sometimes (not often) get when throwing meatier stuff.

Have limited experience, nymphing or steelhead fishing. Leaving a tag end is good.

I chuckled when I first saw them several years back, but they have become an indespensible part of my fishing today. Let's face it. Unless you are made of money, leaders have become quite expensive and anything. I can do that extend there life is a plus. An added benefit is reducing the time it takes to re-rig on stream. Like my old man always told me, it works better then the hook is in the water.

I have tippet rings on the end of the furled leaders I us. I use them with even down to 7x tippet and size 24 dry flies with no problem at all.

Bill A

I tie my own leaders and ALWAYS use a tippet ring between the end of my leader and the tippet. I do this with nymph and dry fly leaders both.

I see no use for them today with our excelent mono. and Floro. their was a time when they played a role when you fished with cat gut leaders, and silk lines.

brookieaddict wrote:
I see no use for them today with our excelent mono. and Floro. their was a time when they played a role when you fished with cat gut leaders, and silk lines.

Did you read any of the responses in this thread, because many of them made very logical conclusions as to the benefits of tippet rings.

I buy them in 50's from jewelry makers on eBay. About $8 I think.

" I buy them in 50's from jewelry makers on eBay. About $8 I think."

geebee,
Got a link ?

Good post and video. I have some tippet rings but havent used them yet. I do have some 7.5 ft 5X and 6x leaders i have used surgeons nots on and have probably been reduced by a foot or so. This looks like a good use for my tippet rings to reuse by shortened leaders by adding the appropriate 5x or 6x tiippet material.

KeithS wrote:
" I buy them in 50's from jewelry makers on eBay. About $8 I think."

geebee,
Got a link ?

Sure - www.ebay.com

Kidding - the seller was Plazko, and they are listed as sterling silver closed jump rings. I paid $7.45 for 50.

Thanks.

Tippet rings are great. I got mine at the Somerset fly fishing show last year for about $4.00 in 2mm size.

There are other threads on tippet rings but the op video explains everything you need to know.

This year I'll probably get the 3mm. I think they will tie easier with my clumsy fingers.

i have the 3mm RC and they are plenty small enough when you're on stream.

i do need to get a safety pin to keep them on and tye them on before i release the pin i think.

Interesting but not for me. I can't help but believe when fishing midges the rings will affect floatation of the fly.

P.S. The model in the video is a real doll!

Back