Tippet material

volcanomil

volcanomil

I need to buy some new tippet material - mostly 5x - but I am going to replace all 3 of my most used rolls, 4x, 5x, 6x.

That got me thinking about what is your favorite brand of tippet material? I have been mostly using Cortland brand bought at someplace like Wally world or Dicks Sporting Goods. While fishing a sulpher dry last Thursday I thought this brand was too stiff and I would like to try something different. I am leaning towards the Rio brand, but what about Frog Hair and the others? They have to be able to make a differance on total/overall presentation of the fly to the fish.

thanks...

In no particular order,
Froghair Mono
Varivas Mono
Maxima Camo

I'm really fond of the Orvis Superstrong tippet. It is sort of a middle ground in stiffness and limpness. Which makes it easy enough to use while still giving a good presentation. It's also well named. Check the pound test against other brands!

frog hair ---- mono or fluorocarbon
climax mono ---- has a nice green tint to it
scientific anglers-- mono, their 100 M spools are affordable and economical

I usually carry 5 spools or 6 spools on my tippet dispenser--
currently:

2 lb fluoro frog hair
2.8 lb 7x frog hair
3.7lb 6x frog hair
4 lb sci-anglers
5 lb sci-anglers

i usually have 2 of the 3 brands above along for the ride

If you're buying new 50 or 100 M rolls of tippet that means you've
blown though your last roll. Where did it all go?
I hope it didn't end up in the water (lasts over 600 years!). If you stuff the waste in your pocket but are fed up with dedicating a pocket to the waste or you notice its hard to poke it in without it falling out into the water try this out - www.grasshopperproducts.com.
A good alternative and keeps the waste mono secure 'til you get to a trash can.

Blaze.

Blaze-

Excellent point. I bought a monomaster at the somerset show. I am surprised at how much tippet is in it at the end of a day or two of fishing. I will post some pics. Everyone should own one. It is a great product, and believe me, try as hard as you can you will never bring as much material home as with this product.

JG

hey blaze,

it all went into a pocket in my vest then into the garbage or fire ring....depending on the time of the year........

where did all go????? for what the stuff costs......wasting it is like throwing money out the window..........

I'm going to second the opinion on Orvis SuperStrong. Its all I ever use.

I don't ussually buy anything from Orvis, but the superstong tippet material is rightly named. I hauled in some huuuge fish with this tippet matieral including some pike and bluefish. It is worth every penny.

I like Orvis SS. Most of the other "standard" tippet materials (Umpqua, Dai Riki) are fine too.

I've had bad luck with Sci-Anglers though. It seemed far inferior to Orvis SS and the others.

Frogs Hair far too expensive. Even if I was a millionare, I wouldn't pay that much for tippet material.

Re: Used tippet. If you don't want to buy something to store used tippet, do this:

Take the used tippet and shove it far down into the leg of your waders or hip boots. It will be out of the way there the rest of the day.

When you "de-boot" at your car at the end of the day, there it is.

troutbert wrote:
Re: Used tippet. If you don't want to buy something to store used tippet, do this:

Take the used tippet and shove it far down into the leg of your waders or hip boots. It will be out of the way there the rest of the day.

When you "de-boot" at your car at the end of the day, there it is.

I always used a sandwich bag. It holds a snack for the first part of the day, and trash for the rest. And it holds all sorts of trash, orange peels, wrappers, tippet, chewed up flies. Plus it's not swinging around on the end of a zinger or taking up a lot of extra room in a pocket when not in use.

I mostly use rio powerflex, but for floro I like airflo.

But that's probably because that's what the local fly shop carries.

I use Orvis Superstrong & Mirage. Excellent quality and the same price as other leading brands, but you get 40 meters from Orvis for the price of 30 yards from other leading manufacturers.

I have been using Bass Pro Shops flourocarbon lately and i really like it.

Orvis Superstrong for me.

I've always been able to find a pocket for mono waste.

I love Orvis Mirage. The 4x and 5x is all I use for trout. I bump up to 3x sometimes for steelhead, but the 4x works well for them on clear days.

For bass I like Orvis Superstrong.

Back