Thoughts on Redington Sonic-Pro waders?

M

mgh-pa

Saw an ad for these in this month's F&S. Checked their website, and they're pricey ($250 for their midline, non-zip front model). Curious, however, since there's no exposed stitching or seams, all of the attachments are done with, well, sound. So what, say you? Gimmick or the real deal?

http://www.sonicprowaders.com/standard.html

I'd never pay $250 for a pair of non gore-tex waders.

Ya, my post went away, but this is not new really. Orvis has sonic seamed waders for quite a while. Same price and Orvis customer service backing them up. I do find it odd that Redington went to all the effort to put small strips of 3 layer fabric on the rear of the calves and lower thighs, but continued it into the rear seat area, thus effectively creating two seams where there only needs to be one.

orvis licensed the tech to redington

the problem with the orivs is that they are only a "pack and travel" wader...
redington is offering the tech in a full featured line of waders...

I don't really think that the price is too bad considering that I've never gotten more than a year and a half out of a pair of top of the line Simms before the seams leak like crazy. And Simms are over 500.00 a pair. You can go thru two pairs of Reddingtons for the price of one pair of Simms.

Simms have other lower price points. $250 is way too high for these.

$250 way too high for any waders, IMO. Think half that.

I don't know if Redington licensed this technology from Orvis. Sonisealing of synthetic materials isn't very new. Your toothpaste tube is sealed with sonic vibrations, btw.

WSENDER-
like i said in the before... redington's sonicseam tech is licensed from orvis

CRB-
with simms...
$200nyou are looking at the bottom of the product line
$300 gets you a 3layer starter model
personally i wouldn't get anything less than the G3s
and those are $430

I have had my Simms waders going on 3 yrs now with no problems. I have heard nothing but negative comments about Orvis waders leaking. Simms is top of the line hands down!!

yes orvis made leaky waders (sewn seams)... but now they have developed a tech that doesn't leak

Simms makes some great waders... they also make some over-priced junk

The price of the waders won't catch you more fish. Get the function you want at the lowest possible price; though quality of construction is always a big factor as is customer service should you have an issue with the product purchased. I'm in the same situation, not sure exactly what to buy. I need something comfortable and durable because I do a lot of hiking in them but I'm not willing to spend more than $200 I don't think....

Never used them but from what I hear LLbean has some good waders with an incredible return poliucy. I have had my simms for 2 years. I got them on sale at cabelas for $200, never had any problems. not sure of your size but red truck has XXL womens simms, haha

whoops thats a little off track of subject, derailed

My vote is for ll bean as well... any company that will stand behind what they sell 100 percent can have my money any day. Simms will tell you to pound sand and at 500 a pair they can keep them.

I have the sonic pro zips. I don't give a rip about the seams. When I needed replacement in the past dial Redington, immediately get a human being and they send replacements that day. The zipper in the front is genius. If you drink coffee or beer when you fish, you know what I mean.

Last weekend I was on the coast for clamming and fishing. I have the new sonic pro waders and love the fact that I can go clamming early drop off the clams, take a quick pit stop without having to remove my coat, and head out fishing for the day. They are so much easier to get in and out of than my previous pair. I'm sold... the way I look at it is no matter how much you pay a wet wader ruins your day.

right now i have the william joseph drynamic waders.....i paid 250.00
well worth it...but i love redington products and they have great customer service....my new pair will be the sonic pro waders if i dont get another set of drynamics...i tried a set on that my buddy has and they are sweet

Just got a pair of these. Arrived today. Will have them out for the first time next week on the SR. Will post thoughts then.

I had planned on buying a pair of Simms G4 Pros w zipper this spring, i have a pair of Redington Barrierflex that are 14 yrs old they started gettin pinholes a couple years ago so i just used aquaseal on em unfortunately that was before i learned how to properly fix breathable waders{damn things llok like i was blotched but hey they are still good an dont leak}these waders were worn at least 200 days a year for the first seven years i had them an i always made sure to dry em and also to make sure there was no gravel in my wading boots before an after each time i wore them the neoprene booties are still good shape.Also one thing i can add is once you dry the outside opf your waders hangin them up...make sure you turn em inside out or you will get mold an that defeats the breathablity as well as smell.
where it concerns DWR treatment i wash my waders every two years along with my rain jacket with special nik wash an then reapply Revivex an the jacket is also over 15 years old an a Pacific Fly Group water proof breathable jacket.If you learn to take care of your gear you will get your money out of it.
This past spring i bought a pair of Redington Sonic Pro Zips, have waded too the point that water was lappin the tops on a dozen occasions...that zipper really does work, not to mention when ya have to pee.I couldn't be happier.and for 350 clams its a no brainer.
I have other Simms clothing And IMHO their Windstopper doublke layer fleece Guide Jacket is the best par none, i have had mine for 15 years also an it still looks great an works like new.
Get a pair of Redington Sonic Zips an i bet you will be happy

Back