The uses of the 7 weight rod...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Anyone use one for streamer trout fishing in the nepa area? I have a 5 so I am thinking about a 7 since a 6 may be too close to what I have. What about a 6 switch too? Any advice is welcome...also could I bring this to the salmon river for steelies? I currently fish the Lackawaxen, Delaware, etc. If I got the switch, would I have to buy a bigger reel? Thanks!

A 7 would be a good choice for a second rod... Throw big streamers... Catch bass, steelhead, light salt water, etc. it's versatile rod for big trout and up.

Get the 7wt in at least a 10' for the Salmon River. I use the same on the Juniata river for bass and it works well. Make sure your reel is up to the task. A very good drag is a must for the steelies.......I have a Reddington 7wt. 10'. It's a good rod and not too expensive. My big fish reels are all Orvis LA and they work well too.

David wrote:
A 7 would be a good choice for a second rod... Throw big streamers... Catch bass, steelhead, light salt water, etc. it's versatile rod for big trout and up.

+1. A 7WT is a very versatile rod. Over the course of a year, I probably spend more time with a 7 in my hand than any other fly rod. It's a great big water streamer rod for trout and it covers most of my WW fishing from bluegills to bass.

Anyone use a 9'6" 7 weight? Cabelas has their LSI on sale and they look pretty nice for the price and convenience of warranty issues. They also have a 9' and then their TLR is also on sale...anyone use these rods?

I recently got a TFO BVK in 9.5 Ft 7 weight. I love it and find it very versatile. I don't know the cabelas lsi, but you'll likely be happy.

I use an LsI for steelhead, in 6 wt and it handles great.

My favorite steelhead rod is a 7 wt. Like biggie said very versatile and I also use the 7 wt on the bass in the Juniata. Mine are 9 footers. I am curious to try the longer rods.

I recently bought an 11' 6wt. switch after previously thinking about a 7wt. single hander. Most companies switch rods are rated as spey rods, not single handers. My 6wt. has a grain window of 280-375, which would be the equivalent of a 10/11/12 wt single hand rod. The rod is awesome for streamers and can handle anything you'd want to cast to a trout.

I fished the lower D for smallies this morning and it handled several sizes of wooly buggers, beadhead buggers, split shot; at one point I was fishing a 1/0 clouser minnow, casting 50-60' overhead with ease. I could have easily cast further if needed. My spey casting needs a lot of work, but when I hit it right I was reaching out 50' that way too. And despite the grain window of the rod, it didn't feel like I was casting a 10 wt.

I have an old Teton #10 hanging off it.

i use seven weights for steel,salmon,light salt and bass.

i like and 8 1/2 to nine foot rod.

i love a seven!

I recently went through this debate and bought the TFO BVK in both 6 and 7 to deal with some bigger flies than what I used on my old #6. The six is definitely lacking a bit when it comes to some of the big articulated streamers I throw on sink tip lines. I thought it would be the reverse but it's not.

There are a ton of reels you can pick up for these purpose, I went with a Sage 1880 and like it. Got it on sale and replacement spools were priced right, think it may be discontinued though so availability may change. For the SR you may want something a bit higher end but Trident's 8 wt reel review rated the drag on the 1880 really highly for the price.

Good luck!

Uses for 7 weight... Get a 9' model, snap it in half and use it to hold up your tomato plants.

9' 6'' 7wt bvk would be an awesome rod for what you want to do.

What about the cabelas lsi 7 weight on sale?

I've has 2. It's a pretty fast yet smooth rod. I really liked it. Both broke though so they were returned. Actually every Cabelas rod I've owned has broken during casting, fighing a fish and believe it or not....stringing up the rod. Never suffered that type of failure with a Sage, St Croix or Redington.

Maybe the new ones are improved but the old ones (4 yrs ago) had very thin walls on the blanks. If you don't mind the inconvenience of broken sticks, it does perform very well.

Back