Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The "Troutiest" of rods?

From Pittsburgh
My 7'9" 2 weight is my baby - and I guess I would consider it the "troutiest" of all of my rods. It certainly wouldn't be very practical to fish for anything else with.
It's a Loomis IMX - rather fast action. And I do overline it with a 3 weight line. It just feels better making mostly short casts on the smaller streams I fish with it

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:57

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I overline my small stream rod. Sometimes By 2 1/2 line weights! I do not generally overline my larger stream rods.

The reality is that it depends largely on the distance you want to cast. With any given rod, if you are going to ONLY cast very short distances, you are probably better off overlining it. If you are ONLY going to bomb out casts, you should probably underline it (if you are casting far and want the heavier lines for wind concerns, start with a higher weight rod!). At average distances, or varied distances (most leeway), stick with the rod's natural rating (which may be different than the labeled rating, depending on model).

Fun, isn't it. Yeah, we're coming full circle. At the shop, they hand you a strung reel and a bunch of rods. You start bombing out casts, and buy the rod that'll throw a whole freakin line. You ignore the one that feels best at the distance you will fish it. And the rod which cast that whole line is the stiffest one, that should be rated higher. It casts so far because it's underlined. That's a 5 wt line they gave you, and that rod is actually a 6wt, despite being labeled a 5 wt.

Now you have your mislabeled 6 wt at home, and you bought a 5 wt line to match, and now you don't like how it feels when you actually fish it at normal distances. It's not loading. But you have this unnatural objection to overlining, a rod labeled a 5 wt just should not have a line labeled a 6 wt on it. So, somebody re-labels a 6wt line as a 5 wt for you. At some point, somehow or other you try out this line. And then you go online raving about how great this line is that turned your rod from a dud to a great fishing tool, buy the line, and every other idiot does the same and loves it too for the same reasons.

Today's 5 wt just became yesterday's 6 wt, both rod and line. Congrats. You've re-invented the standard.

Rinse and repeat. Soon, this rod and line will be labeled a 4 wt, and then a 3 wt, etc. And someone will wonder what this whole light rod/line craze is.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 14:10

From South Lebanon Township, PA
^One of the best pcrays ever IMO!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 16:19

From South Lebanon Township, PA
tb - I overline my small stream rods too...mostly 5wt lines on 4wt rods. The rods are rated to load with a certain amount of line of a certain weight (whatever is printed on the rod) out. For small stream casting, you're generally casting with less line out than whatever that amount was it was rated at...I think it's usually something like 30 feet, but the exact number isn't really important for discussion here.

Bottom line: X feet of 5wt line weighs more than X feet of 4 wt line. Therefore at shorter distances (up to the distance the rod was rated at), the heavier weight line will load the rod more efficiently. At extremely short distances, 2 or even 3 line weights may be what's needed to load the rod most efficiently.

Try overlining by one line weight some time on one of your Brookie rods and make casts in the 10-20 feet range. This is a common length of cast when I Brookie fish. Regardless of action, my guess is you'll find the rod loads more efficiently with the heavier line weight at those distances. The one downside to overlining is that when you come across that one long, wide open pool, the heavier line hurts you when you need to bomb a really long cast (longer than what the rod was rated at) out there. Still worth it IMO as this is a very rare occurrence when small stream/Brookie fishing.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 16:32

From SE Pa
Quote:
Fiberglass has its own distinct form of idiocy, which is directly inverse to what's happening with graphite.

There, people are so obsessed with having the slowest rod on the planet, they will consistently demand that rods be overlined so as they load as deeply as possible.

LoL. What newer fiberglass brands are you referencing? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm really interested in which one(s) you would use as examples.

The fiberglass rods I use are not over-lined, and while not fast action, are hardly noodles, rather moderate ...... you know, the type action that the Madison Avenue crowd says is only for beginners

Posted on: 2013/6/12 18:23

From Lehigh Valley
The people, not the equipment.

You post to FFR, and have witnessed that everyone is absolutely positive that every "vintage" rod needs to be lined at least one heavier, and that any modern maker's dual rated rod, its [always the heavier line.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have to go over there and start a dozen odd threads about which expensive reel matches which expensive rod I just bought by posting two dozen identical photos of Hardys on reel seats.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 21:45

From SE Pa
LoL - Oh yes, they typically do like it slower over there !!!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 22:37

What is FFR?

Posted on: 2013/6/12 22:41

From harlansburg
fiberglass flyrodders.

I'll say this about glass. lot's of folks are overlining graphite rods to get the rod to load and to FEEL the rod load, it also SLOWS down the rod. I've found this is not needed with glass rods, the ones I fish, and I have plenty, all feel good, load nicely, and cast wonderfully with the line weight they were designed for. once in a while on bigger waters, I'll underline a rod, allowing the rod to load with more line out than usual.
for those that think glass is stupid, outdated, old fashioned and such, go try a modern glass rod and you just might be surprised. there are some great tapers, they are light, and they are just plain fun.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 6:31

Right overlining just moves the window of ranges at which a rod casts well closer to you. For brookies, I just put 3w lines on 2w rods and cast medium sized dry flies well from 15 to 35 feet instead of 20 to 40 ft.

You cast the weight of the line, and rods might be built to cast about 40 ft of the line weight the rod is labeled with. If you usually make shorter casts, because you fish small streams, then a heavier line may work better.

As swattie noted there is a compromise on a rare long pool on a brookie stream, but why set a rod up for 5% of the casts?

Yard cast with a tape measure .... Setting a rod to feel good at 50 ft may involve moving the window of ranges at which it casts efficiently away from you. This can make it less effective at real world 15-20 ft casts on small streams.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:21

Edited by k-bob on 2013/6/13 7:55:58
Edited by k-bob on 2013/6/13 7:56:53

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:
The people, not the equipment....

True statement above.

All the major rod manufacturers offer fast as well as medium and slow action rods in their lines. Test cast any/all to find which one best suits your casting style and type of fishing you do . No NSA-like subterfuge going on at all with the rod mfgs.

I will say, many to most guys test casting a rod will pull out a huge gob of line and try to cast 70 to 80 feet, even when they say they are buying a rod to fish the small to medium trout streams. Doesn't make much sense, but it's the customer is always right.

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
For those who fish graphite rods, how many of you overline them?

I never have. I'm not sure if I'm missing out. Or if it's a matter of the rod models. Or of casting style / preference.

I'm just curious whether over-lining is a common thing. Or done in a small percentage of cases.

Take your rod(s) out to the lawn and strap on different weight lines for each of the rod and cast to see how they cast. I do use different weight lines for some of my rods based upon how it casts. At times I choose a different weight line for the same rod based on where and what type fishing I plan to do.

There are a whole bunch of different uses for a rod and a whole bunch of different casters that use a rod, therefore the number stamped on the rod should be looked at as an average or even a starting point.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:28

I use rio gold lines that have a color change when 40 ft comes off the reel... Always see it yard casts, brookie fishing not so much...

Putting that color change in the line is really smart imho.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 7:37

Edited by k-bob on 2013/6/13 7:55:12
Edited by k-bob on 2013/6/13 8:12:49

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Just wish they put it at 20 ft instead of 40!

I have a Rio Gold 5 wt line. I use it on my big stream rods and sometimes small stream rods. But on the big stream rods, it's fished the likes of Penns and the LJR. On stream, I still very rarely see the color change. And when I do, I'm screwin around and casting rather than catching fish. I can cast 40+ ft just fine on just about any rod, it's not approaching my max casting range. But casting range and "fishing" range are two very different things. I almost never need to cast that far, and when I do, I struggle to fish effectively, when you take into account slack line casts, mends, etc.

Remember that the distances we're talking about here don't include the leader. That's the distance of fly line beyond the tip of the rod. Frankly, big stream or small, it's relatively rare that I fish more than 20-25 ft of fly line.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 8:41

"Frankly, big stream or small, it's relatively rare that I fish more than 20-25 ft of fly line."

exactly ... that's why I like two weight rods with three weight lines for brookies with dry flies.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 15:36

From Cincinnati, OH
The question anglers may want to ask themselves is are you more interested in catching fish in a small stream with a smooth presentation or are you really trying to cast as far across or up a stream as you can. Matching line weights to rod rates generally mean you can easily cast to an distance of 30 feet and beyond. If most of your casts are less that 30 feet on a small stream then overlining a weight number or two may indeed help you with your presentations. The answer is try line and rod combos in situations you are most likely to encounter on the stream. Don't be tricked into buying another line weight until you know the situations under which you with most likely be fishing. Stay flexible my friends!

Posted on: 2013/8/25 23:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
97 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com