TFO Fly Rod Inquiry

Houli

Houli

I'm looking to add a 7 or 8 weight to the arsenal (currently fish a 5 wt Hydros) at a good price and I've heard positive things about TFO rods. I'd like to use the new setup for both fresh water and some salt fishing. TFO has many different models - anyone recommend one over the other? (BVK, Clouser, Kreh Signature, Kreh Professional, Kreh TiCr/TiCr X, Axiom, etc).

Would the 7 or 8 weight be better for steelhead?

Anyone have experience with TFO reels? Or any other reel recommendation for this setup.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ryan

Where do you do your steelheading? I'd recommend a larger rod for Ontario (8), as opposed to the smaller fish and streams of Erie (7).

I have an old TFO professional 8' 4wt. It's a decent rod, and a good deal for the money. The warranty is good.

I've got a TFO MKII reel, as well. It's not worth the asking price, but a functional and good looking reel.

I have a bunch of TFO rods.

The BVK is a great rod!.... the axiom is a nice fast rod with lots of backbone (and might fish a wt heavier than marked)... both would be a good option for salt and fresh... with the BVK being the "lighter in hand" option of the 2

The new BVK reels are also very nice
i have also used the 425 and 375 Large arbor reels in both fresh and salt

From Ryan to Ryan

I have a TFO TICR 9'8wt. It is by far my favorite rod. I use it for bass in lakes and large rivers, and steelhead. I've also used it in the salt for light duty work. It's a good all around heavier weight rod. It's very fast, as most TFO rods are, but it loads line like a rocket.

If I had the cash to buy different rods for all these situations I'd have something like a 9'7wt for bass, 10'7wt for Erie steel, a 9'9wt for salt, and a 10'9or10 wt for Ontario Steel and salmon. But this rod "can" do all of those together in one.

A factor that most people don't look into is customer service/warranty. I broke the tip off my rod a few years ago trying to clear ice off the top. I sent it in with the $25 rod fee and a note saying I'd appreciate it if they could send it back by a specific date so I could fish it again, and they had it back by around 10-11 days from when I shipped it out. I've heard nothing but similar results from others who had warranty claims from TFO.

I also have owned quite a few different series of the TFO rods in the weight range you're looking for.

Getting something truly applicable for both salt and steel is a bit difficult. My favorite TFO rod is the BVK in an 8wt. I also own a TiCr in a 9' 9wt and had a 8'6" TFO pro. The TiCr series are beastly rods and my 9'9 is my go to salt,pike/muskie rod. Tons of backbone for fighting super strong fish and can cast a line as far as you're able to make it. The BVK is a fast rod as well but doesn't have the same lifting power. It's more of a pleasure to cast IMHO though. The TFO Pro in an 8 was a decent medium fast rod but it was a bit heavy in that weight, as many of the TFO lines are.

A middle of the road rod would be an 8wt but doesn't do both jobs the best. A bit light for the salt, unless we're talkin bonefish, but I'm assuming you're lookin more striper/blue fishing. A bit heavy for Erie steel but would work just fine.

Go out and toss a few different models to see which you like the best but my early season steel/salmon rod is the BVK. A nice all around 8wt.

p.s. I hear the TICR model's are going to be discontinued. Potentially get a good deal here soon if it fits your needs.

Some background:

Most of my fishing is done on the Upper Potomac, Shenandoah, local lakes/reservoirs, and trout waters in MD, VA, PA (in-laws live in Altoona). I fish the Chesapeake with a friend on his boat 10-20 times a year chasing stripers w/ annual trips offshore to Ocean City, MD every August and CBBT every November/December. I'd like to add a good fall (steelhead) and spring (bonefishing) trip to the rotation. Any suggestions for a newbie to steelhead fishing would be more than appreciated. This is why I'm looking for a heavier stick.

Thanks for all the help - really makes a difference getting input from all the good folks on this site.

I use TFO rods & love them. For trout I have Professional Series 4wt 9ft & 5wt 10ft. Great rods at a great price.

I also have 2 heavier rods for bass & steelhead. I have an 8wt 9ft TiCR that I use for bass & Great Lakes Steelhead. It's a very fast rod & you can really throw some line. Works great for Lake Erie Steelhead. I also have a 8wt 8'9" Clouser Rod that I use for bass. Very similar feel to the TiCR, but a little different. I've considered using it for steelhead, but I haven't gotten the chance to go steelheading since I bought the rod.

For the price I think TFO rods are great!

http://coltonfly.com/

Back