Surf rod

jayL

jayL

I decided that I am going to steelhead less and surf fish more going forward. Unfortunately, I only have a cheap medium action 9wt rod.

So it looks like I'll be in the market for a rod. As most of you know, I dislike slower action rods to the point that I find them uncastable, so I'll be looking for something "tippy".

Leaning toward a st croix legend ultra or elite, but I am willing to listen to suggestions for around $400. Used is fine, but I am done buying rods without a warranty. I'm considering getting a fast action sage blank and building as well. I'll need a reel too, so feel free to give your preferences on that. I am not interested in spending more than $200 or so on the reel. Of course, I'll cast anything before I buy.

More importantly, please discuss the 9wt vs 10wt debate that I am assuming has to exist among shorebound striper fishermen.

To be perfectly honest, I know nothing about shooting heads, sinking lines, etc. I am assuming that I'll have to familiarize myself with that as well.

I'll be away as of tomorrow, so feel free to give your thoughts. I'll look forward to reading 'em all when I get back.

Hydros combo would certainly do well!

RowJimmy wrote:
Hydros combo would certainly do well!

Considering that too. I am in a very dedicated relationship with my 5wt hydros.

go get em Jay-we will be looking forward to your reports.
I can definitely help you with shooting heads as they were what I used 90% time.

I have. Brand new Scott A3 9 wt I could sell you for a reasonable price LOL

SBecker wrote:
I have. Brand new Scott A3 9 wt I could sell you for a reasonable price LOL

PM with price.

Jay,
I hope to "go to school" on the responses to your post. This year I upgraded my 5 wt to a St. Croix Legend Elite and IMHO its a really sweet rod. I also have a slightly older 8 wt Elite so I guess I'm a bit partial to St. Croix. Although it is a bit dated, Yellowstone Angler had an 8 weight shoot out that might be woth looking at.

9wt.

First year I tried to FF over my beach vacation, I took a 10wt. It hurt. It hurt hard. I had a fourish hour guide trip that I worked that damn 9' 10wt fast action rod on that resulted in an unmovable arm the next day, a hand that formed into a calloused, bloody claw and a whole lotta misery.

Next year I went back with an 9' 8wt fast action rod. I took that same trip, and while I was sore the next day, it was nothing like the prior year. Matter of fact, I FF'd nearly every evening of that trip and it was never as awful as the prior year. Because I prefer slow action, I use the 10wt lines on the 8wt rod.

Between a 9wt and a 10wt, I'd go 9.

Should you find yourself in the valley, you are welcome to throw both these rods to your heart's content.

jayL wrote:
I'll be away as of tomorrow...

A very sly way of bragging about an awesome upcoming fishing trip.

I went the "so cheap, I don't care if it breaks" way to start out with my 10wt rod. ($45 from wild water rod company) Will use it in the surf in a few weeks, and also as a salmon rod. I paired it with an Allen Alpha 9/10 (second generation just came out) and it is a SWEET reel. Nice drag, good looking, and well within the price you're looking for. That's my .02.

Discussed privately but 10'6" 9wt St Croix Legend Ultra with Allen 9/10 reel. As of right now all I have is a 9wt saltwater Sharkskin cause I found it on clearance real cheap. The rod is a beast to say the least. I got it for salmon but it's got Bob Popovich's name on it so it must be a decent salt rod. We'll find out this Fall.

Interesting. A Legend Elite 9' 9wt is 5.2 oz yet a Ultra is 4.6 oz.

gfen wrote:

9wt.

First year I tried to FF over my beach vacation, I took a 10wt. It hurt. It hurt hard. I had a fourish hour guide trip that I worked that damn 9' 10wt fast action rod on that resulted in an unmovable arm the next day, a hand that formed into a calloused, bloody claw and a whole lotta misery.

Next year I went back with an 9' 8wt fast action rod. I took that same trip, and while I was sore the next day, it was nothing like the prior year. Matter of fact, I FF'd nearly every evening of that trip and it was never as awful as the prior year. Because I prefer slow action, I use the 10wt lines on the 8wt rod.

Between a 9wt and a 10wt, I'd go 9.

Should you find yourself in the valley, you are welcome to throw both these rods to your heart's content.

meow.

I can't imagine swinging a 10'6" rod one handed all day. Hell. No. You've got to be moving that thing, with all that massive swing weight, all day long, and these are heavy, stiff rods with some serious weight in the form giant reels on the bottom end. Serious tennis elbow will ensue.

A two hander doing standard overhead might not be such a bad thing, I know that overhand casts are supposed to remove alot of the arm and elbow stress of one handed casting.

They sold me the Cabela's XSS2 reel for my 10wt, I've actually got 2. If that TFO ain't up to your standards, mebbe I got an XSS for ya.

Actually Gary-a 9ft.-10wt. when used with shooting heads, double hauls,and matched with a properly balanced reel is a pleasure to use-it's the need for shooting basket while surfishing that's the PIA.
TETO ,but that's when I feel its time to show your unmentionables.

jayL wrote:
I decided that I am going to steelhead less and surf fish more going forward.

Good decision. :)
(esp considering where you live)

Regarding a 9WT or a 10WT - I'd definitely vote for a 10. A fast action 10 is ideal for throwing the heavy, fast sink shooting heads I like for surf and jetty work. Also, a 10 will definitely give you an advantage when you need to lean on a striper or big bluefish in a current rip or beach wash. A 9 is a good all around salt rod if you're hitting back bays and boat fishing and can work for the surf.... but if your main game is going to be surf and jetty....definitely get a 10 (I'd even go for an 11 before a 9).

Just curious about the whole salt thing. When you cast into the surf, doesnt the waves pick up and tangle the line? I live just as close to the shore as JayL and have considered picking up an outfit. Just seems a PITA way to fish the shore. Ive never did any kind of salt fishing before so I have absolutely no experience, but it sure seems like some fun.

Gfen can't say I notice much of a difference between casting a 9 and a 10. I'm surprised it made that much of a difference for you. Perhaps it was the improvement of the casting stroke from year to year?

Jayl good luck on your trip. I'll be out there the 2nd week in August for my last destination fishing trip for a while.

As far as the rods go, if you get a chance to, cast the TFO BVK 10 wt. As light as anything else you'll find (4.5 ounces), fast action and well below your $400 budget.

PM me when you get back, I may be willing to part with a 10wt reel that will fit the bill for you.

surveyor06 wrote:
Just curious about the whole salt thing. When you cast into the surf, doesnt the waves pick up and tangle the line? I live just as close to the shore as JayL and have considered picking up an outfit. Just seems a PITA way to fish the shore. Ive never did any kind of salt fishing before so I have absolutely no experience, but it sure seems like some fun.

Attachments

• Stripping Basket.jpg
    Stripping Basket.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 3
Well Jay how is your double haul ? If I was you I would go to colton for your saltwater rod & reel can't beat the price. Plenty of tip action , plus he would give you a discount on a line . You can come cast mine if you want . I don't own a ten though when the wind is bad I find chucking a sinking line line does the job more times than none for me .OH best stripping basket on the
market is the orvis one .
http://coltonfly.com/

Having used shooting heads for a quarter of a Century as my primary fly line I offer these suggestions FWIW.
Fast action rod
Purchase hi-d shooting head 3 weights larger than rod rated.
the first time-carefully begin removing foot long sections from butt[not tippet end] until rod is balanced to give maximum distance using the shooting head with running line-reason for doing this-
Using a double haul the fly line is never brought into guides during casting which gives both a little longer cast and prolongs the life of the shooting head .More to the point this will give the least amount of wind resistance possible in the air enabling longest casts.
It will also result in the least effect of wave and current action you can hope to achieve with a fly line.
PITA the first time but as long as you stick with the same brand,same density- easily duplicated from then on.
Use the needle knot and pliobond it and the connection between fly line and running line will last as long as the shooting head does.

prowling around the bays or fishing from a boat is one thing, but fly fishing the surf sounds like more of a workout than anything. I'd get a regular surf outfit for a fraction of the price and if you start picking up fish in close, switch over to your 9wt.

Back