Sunglasses

PaulG

PaulG

Sorry I know this suject has been on here many time. Since my eye problems, I was told to wear sunglasses all the time when I'm outside.

My question is what color would be best for regular wear and for fishing. I never like wearing sunglasses except for fishing, so I could use some help.

PaulG

Sorry I put this in the wrong place, if someone could put it in the right place...please!

PaulG

PaulG wrote:
My question is what color would be best for regular wear and for fishing. I never like wearing sunglasses except for fishing, so I could use some help.

Amber cuts more blue than grey.
Grey is more colour correct than amber.
Yellow cuts even more blue, but is not as restrictive to overall light. Its utility at night is debatable.

If you want regular sunglasses, get grey. If you want sporting sunglasses, get amber.

Good lord GFEMALI got it right for once, listen to what he said..

If you people would take the time to parse my awesome, you'd know I often spit out nuggets of rad in all my posts.

I prefer anything from a light brown lens to an amber lens.

I think the light brown lenses on a good pair of glasses gets rid of the harsh blues, yet highlights red and green colors.

I've had some cheapo pairs that were good, but they usually only last a year or so.

I bought a pair of Ray Bans over 5-6 years ago and they are still in one piece,

I got some Maui Jim Banyans that I really like, they are a larger fit.

However I cannot find a pair of Oakleys that comfortably fit my big fat head. I've purchased Oakleys and returned them just because they are tight on my temple.

I wear gray polarized clips that came with my prescription glasses. They work well for all around use and fishing.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking about going with the gray!

PaulG

Grey for general use.

Amber for fishing and occasional driving on overcast days.

All polarized.

I bought mine from Sierra Trading Post, got two pairs of Costa Del Mars for half off each.

You pulled the proper nugget from the salad of TMI.

I would ask the Doc what the characteristics of light he is trying to block. Brightness? UVA, UVB, etc. It might be a color of light.....

Anyway, grey would be the safest bet for you until you know. Plus because you usually don't fish late into the evening, it will not be necessary for lighter color lenses.

Get polarized to cut down on the glare, it really helps fishing, and I love em for driving and road glare too. Though seeing the stress patterns in rear windows of other cars is kind of weird....

I assume what you're doctor wants is to cut out the UV. Nearly all sunglasses do. It makes everything look sharper which is an added bonus. But make sure it has one of those 100% UV protection stickers just to be on the safe side.

As far as colors, I always liked gray, looks more natural. The yellows and ambers look brighter in the daytime and some like that, and it makes you think they'd actually improve vision at dusk. But once dusk comes, they don't. All sunglasses are designed to block some light, so there's no such thing as a pair that will improve vision at low lights.

You can buy 100% UV protection, polarized glasses around the $10-$25 price range from places like Dicks, CVS, etc. I used to spend over a hundred. But honestly, the only difference I see with the good ones is they scratch less easily. But the protection isn't that much better that you wouldn't be better off buying several pairs of cheaper ones!

pcray1231 wrote:
As far as colors, I always liked gray, looks more natural. The yellows and ambers look brighter in the daytime and some like that, and it makes you think they'd actually improve vision at dusk. But once dusk comes, they don't. All sunglasses are designed to block some light, so there's no such thing as a pair that will improve vision at low lights.

Not quite true.

What they do accomplish is cutting back MORE blue light than the other spectrums, which in turn improves contrast allowing you, in theory, to see more detail and better.

You are also correct that they will reduce the total amount of light returning to your eyes, so its a trade-off but in the transisitional hours, you can unequivicably get better contrast through the use of minus blue glass.

Now, this is the best example I can find, but its a bit more extreme, a Wratten #25A red filter.

red_filter.jpg

By cutting back blue light, you increase the contrast available (in that case film, in our case the eyes). It is absolutely contrast enhancment, and thus why people think they can see better with yellow or amber lenses. Cuts teh blue light, which is exactly what you need in the waxing and waning hours of daylight, in haze, or overcast days.

Edit: Grey lenses are more neutral, they should not affect overall tone, just the amount of light that filters in. To go back to photography, "neutral density" filters (wratten 96) are always grey, and have no effect on tone for that reason.

I agree in the contrast enhancement and what you are saying. But I've had gray, amber, and yellow, and I can tell you that in my experiences, at dusk, it's still darker with the glasses on than with them off. Gray may be worse than amber in the dark, but they're both worse than no glasses at all.

I always get caught in that. I'm wearing the glasses and all is well, so nice I forget I have em on. Then it gets dark, and I start thinking the days over, take off the glasses, and suddenly realize I got another half hour left, lol.

So, I dunno, might be a personal preference thing. Maybe my glasses sucked (I said I get cheap ones). I agree with your theory, but think that the less light getting through more than offsets the positive effects of contrast enhancement.

Contrast enhancement and UV blocking are great in the daytime, though! Reminds me of that infomercial for "HD sunglasses", lol, like its something new.

i have heard that the rose colored lenses work better on spring creeks

troutslammer wrote:
i have heard that the rose colored lenses work better on spring creeks

Dude they work better everywhere man.......dig it?

I picked up a pair of Maui Jim Sports a few years ago with a bronze lens to wear for general purpose use. They're now my go to glasses for fishing. The lenses are incredible.

I agree with Pcray, when it starts to get dark the glasses come off.

Paul, remember a few years ago we went to great feathers in MD and I picked up a pair of Orvis sunglasses for cheap? I think I paid $30 for a pair of plastic lenses in Yellow. They were like $6 regular.....anyway, I could not wear them during the day, it made a sunny day so bright it gave me a headache. But in the dusk it definitely brightened the landscape to the point that when I took them off I couldn't believe how dark it was.

That said I would never buy yellow lenses again.

Back