Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

STUPID split shot question

From Lansdale
I picked up some of the smaller split shot for FF purposes. Trying to attach it on Saturday, I abandoned the whole idea. The damn things are just too small for my fingers.
Should I invest in the split shot forceps, or are they a waste of money or just a PITA? What do YOU use?

Posted on: 2013/1/22 10:23

Re: STUPID split shot question

From South Lebanon Township, PA
When I decide I need shot (versus just a weighted fly), I figure I want the fly on or very near the bottom, and probably getting there fairly rapidly...so I just use a single BB of the smallest normal size shot. As a matter of fact, it's the only size shot I carry. I don't bother with the really micro FF stuff.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 10:44

From Monessen, PA
Always grab 3 when you only need one. I use the micro shot mainly on dropper flies. I actually put them in my mouth. The saliva makes them adhere to your fingertips while you struggle to get them on. Then spit the remainder back into the canister.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 13:09

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Tungsten putty

Posted on: 2013/1/22 13:18

Carry forceps, mainly for unhooking fish, but also use them for pinching on split shot.

Do not bite down on split shot, or on tippet, if you value your teeth.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 13:27

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I use the bb sized ones with the wings. I don't think I've used the micro ones for FF in the past 2-3 years. I weight all my nymphs pretty well so they can sink on their own.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 13:28

From Camp Hill
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Tungsten putty

+1

I tried it before and really thought I hated this stuff until I gave it another try yesterday. It makes life so much easier to adjust your weight on the fly.

My disdain was after trying it about two years ago I used it on a hot summer day and had a heck of a time keeping it on the line...anyone else experience this?

Posted on: 2013/1/22 13:30

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

hbgbswanson wrote:
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Tungsten putty

My disdain was after trying it about two years ago I used it on a hot summer day and had a heck of a time keeping it on the line...anyone else experience this?

I've found that you get good and bad batches even from the same company. I usually use the orvis tp and I've gotten bad batches were it's hard and not so much putty. You really have to work it hard just to get it soft enough to shape and even then it slides up and down the line.

So yeah, if the first time you bought/used it, it was a bad batch, then I could see that turning you off to it.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 13:42

From Ohio
Jack, I hope you're using the non-toxic stuff! Don't put lead shot in your mouth for the same reason you shouldn't eat lead based paint chips.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 15:04

From Pittsburgh
I'm with jack... I put a little pinch between my cheek and gums. I also use my teeth to place... much to the dismay of troutbert. It pales in comparison to my drinking habit! Although that is tempered by the fact that I only go under the surface when I have to!

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:19

Quote:

David wrote:
I'm with jack... I put a little pinch between my cheek and gums. I also use my teeth to place... much to the dismay of troutbert.

I was dismayed when MY tooth broke.

Your tooth, ehhhh, stuff happens.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:45

From Chadds Ford, PA
I guess not many guys use them, but I love the match book twisty things. Simple to put on and take off and you can use the amount you need to get down to where you want. Went back to shot early this year and had all of the problems already mentioned here. Hate it.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:57

From Gettysburg
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
Should I invest in the split shot forceps, ?

Yes, forceps make putting split shots on your line (and taking them off) much easier.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:38

From Chadds Ford, PA
Forceps may help put them on, but there isn't a tool yet invented that will help take them off. Only way is cut off your fly and slide the damn things off. Hate them!!!!! Again.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 20:25

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

englishprof wrote:
Forceps may help put them on, but there isn't a tool yet invented that will help take them off. Only way is cut off your fly and slide the damn things off. Hate them!!!!! Again.

I learned this trick:

Put the jaws of your forceps on either side of the slit ( so the slit runs from jaw to jaw) and squeeze gently. The split will widen enough to get your fingernail in and press to open.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 21:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com