Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: strike indicators

From Bozeman
When I saw Jack using a thingamabobber, I decided that they must not be expensive, and they are probably good to use. I'll be picking some up soon.

Just wanted to report a jack bobber sighting.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 20:40

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
When I saw Jack using a thingamabobber, I decided that they must not be expensive, and they are probably good to use. I'll be picking some up soon.

Just wanted to report a jack bobber sighting.

Jay, you were not very discerning in your observations. The pink item on my leader was a thinga-ma-indicator. The price was right, too, because I actually harvested that from some streamside vegetation the weekend before along with a couple egg patterns, some splitshot and a nice large red egg hook that I used to tie a streamer in between trips.

I do like that thinga-ma-indicator very much: floats well, casts easy and dips below the surface with very little effort on the fishes part, allowing you to set the hook before the fish realizes something human-y is going on.

For the curious:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/12/3 6:07

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Jay, you were not very discerning in your observations. The pink item on my leader was a thinga-ma-indicator. The price was right, too, because I actually harvested that from some streamside vegetation the weekend before along with a couple egg patterns, some splitshot and a nice large red egg hook that I used to tie a streamer in between trips.

Click to see original Image in a new window

yes Jay, Jack is the stream side version of the guy with the shopping cart full of empty cans...his thrift is legendary but second, in my opinion, to his hardware recovery skills.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 8:30

From Mount Joy, PA
How did you guys rig up your Thingamabobber?

Posted on: 2008/12/3 16:48

From Greensburg, PA
"fold" the leader and put the loop thru the hole and then put the bobber thru the loop.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 17:23

From Bozeman
Yep. Just like one of those poly indicators.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 18:48

I have not used the thinga-ma-indicator yet...I still am going with the loons biostrike. It just seems more convenient when hopping from pool-pool, depth-depth, When adjusting the depth of your drift. I am real anal about kinks, knots or any other infractions on my leader.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 20:45

From Greensburg, PA
Don;t want to kink up your leader..try this...
http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

Posted on: 2008/12/3 21:01

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
that's a great idea! could use a small piece of backing for that. I think I might try it!

man this site never ceases to amaze me! always a great idea!

Posted on: 2008/12/4 12:14

From Chester County
Tom,

Great knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

I'm going to give it a try to make a dropper rig. Instead of using the tag ends of a blood or surgeons knot for a dropper off the main line, I'd like to tie a loop on the end of a short dropper section and attach it using that knot just above my tippet knot. It would seem to keep the dropper line standing out at 90* to the main line to minimize tangles. Also, rather than cutting and retying a blood knot with a long tag end for the droppper, it looks like an easier way to replace a dropper.

Good stuff, thanks.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 7:09

From Greensburg, PA
Yeah, looks cool. Never tried it. Someone asked how to rig these and I thought, "there's another way?". So I googled and found that. Hope it helps.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 8:21

From Monessen, PA
I tried that with a thingama-indicator this morning. You can cinch it tight so it doesn't move easily and it doesn't kink the leader. However, the loop of backing or string you use has to be large enough to swing the bulb through three times, which means when you finalize the rig, the bulb is attached to the leader by about 1 to 1 and a half inches of string. That is, the bobber isn't up against the leader, but is on a short tether, which I think could cause an issue of casting and tangling around the leader. If I get out this weekend, I plan to try it and I'll report if any of these apparent issues are a problem. I did notice some leader kinking with the direct connection last weekend, but I was able to straighten it easily afterwards.

Attach file:

jpg  thingbob.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/12/5 9:49

From Mount Joy, PA
I also found that prusik connection before I replied "how do you rig it", but thought that it may causing casting issues. I'm kind of curious how that won't cause a royal mess when back casting, etc. I would think that assembly would just be a nightmare.

If it works it sure is easy enough to tie a section with a double surgeons knot and then make a prusik knot to the leader. Nice and adjustable or cinch it in place. Then again, with back casting, it could have a tendency to slide if cinched into place...

I'll let those of you who are much more experienced provide the feedback!

Posted on: 2008/12/5 10:36

From Greensburg, PA
Other than the wear on the kinked leader, I think there are times when this could be a good thing as the attachment puts the lower portion (underwater) of your leader at an angle. Much like Jonas described doing for indicator nymphing at last years Jam.

OK, so my drawings aren't as neat as Jack's

Attach file:

jpg  kinky leader.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/12/5 10:43

From Bozeman
Tom has reduced our favorite hobby to a game of pac man.

For what its worth, I purposely kink my leaders like that as well. I missed the jonas talk, but I saw it somewhere else. I've found that the places where I put split shot, and knots are often where my leader breaks... not on kinks.

I do obsess about sharpening my hooks though. Usually once every 10 minutes.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 10:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com