strike indicators

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I know this has been discussed many times but I'm still not sold on a specific one. I mainly use the indicator that can be made of yarn which you loop through your line, mainly because it stays put. It however puts a kink in the leader which is impossible to get out later on. I have recently tried the foam slip on indicators with the rubber insert to slide your leader through, but have lost a few during casts, they just fly off due to sliding on the leader. I have seen the frog hair 1 time use indicators similar to the other foam ones, but am too cheap to use those at about a buck a piece just one time. I've tried putty, pinch on small foam indicators, etc, and can't find one that I really like. Care to share your favorite indicator and why?

I like, in order:
1. colored mono/backing built into the leader.
2. the small foam balls with the toothpick
3. 1 time use foam pinch ones. However, I buy sheets of sticky foam and cut my own.
4. yarn
5. a dry fly

I like the "turn on" indicators.

They float well and usually stay put.

I don't like the yarn indies because they are a pain to cast.

I usually just use the pinch ons though. I pick up a few packs every time I go to the fly shop. They are cheap, easy, and take up little to no vest space.

To follow MKern's post,

Small streams or shallow runs:

1) Dryfly
2) Pinch-on foam
3) Colored mono/backing built into the leader

I will also use a combination of 2 & 3 at times.

Bigger Streams and deeper runs:

1) Pinch-on foam
2) Colored mono/backing built into the leader
3) Yarn
4) Dryfly

Again I will use a combination of 1 & 2

I have been expermenting with a no "bobber" method, but find myself putting on the old indicator. :-D

JH

I use strike putty because its more environmentally friendly and I can easily/quickly adjust the size depending on the weight added or skittishness of the fish.

The putty is nice, but in warm weather, it becomes almost unusable in my opinion. I always used the loon biostrike. Anyone have any ideas of anything better that might not have this problem?

I have to agree that Loon Biostrike is the best for most of my fishing. It can be used in any size and does not always give a "bobber" effect when used in small doses. I will go to yarn when using larger nymphs and when casting longer distances.

I use nothing but the ones with the toothpicks and perfer the ones with the slits in them just in case I accidently tie on my nymphs before putting them on. If I can't adjust them up and down the line then I think they are junk. I am constaintly adjusting the depth. I have them in like 3 or 4 different sizes in the hot pink and a few small ones in white which blends in nice with the foam but I can still pick it out. The white ones tend to be hard to find in stores. I use them probably 95% of the time when I'm nymphing and size of stream/river doesn't matter to me it all has to do with how high or low and how clear or muddy the water is.

What MKern and bigjohn said.

Thing a ma bobber

Its the hot product now

I have started to fish without an indicator- well, the times I did'nt fish with them it was mostly pocket water and high sticking. Worked good.

I am gonna try the tube kind that slide onto your line. See how it goes.

CaptMatt wrote:
Thing a ma bobber

Its the hot product now

Those are only good for bait fishing. For fly fishing, you need to get the thing-a-ma-indicator!

JackM wrote:
CaptMatt wrote:
Thing a ma bobber

Its the hot product now

Those are only good for bait fishing. For fly fishing, you need to get the thing-a-ma-indicator!

I am in agreement. Just for the record, I never said I used them I said it was the "Hot Product" now : ) ha ha

I've been using the pinch on foam Palsas. I cut them into the two halves, stick them together, and push a hole through them. Then thread the leader through and hold it in place with a tip of a toothpick. Makes them adjustable, and since they're light, they don't hit with a splat.

small water balloons for me these days. Cheap, float like a balloon.

I've though about using the ballow indicator, but hav never tried it.
How's it cast?

It casts very well imo. You just have to watch how big you make them. Super easy to tie on and adjust

Thill for 90% of my fishing. They are the ones that slide on and stay put with the peg (toothpick). I have learned that changing the depth and weight is very important when nymph fishing. With the Thill I can pull the pick, slide the indicator 6 or 12" up or down, and be fishing in an instant. Amazing how many times a 6-12" change brings an almost instant strike.

After all the info I think I might try out the toothpick ones. I have one question about the water balloon idea...have you ever had one break on you? I think it's a great ide, but I would be hesitant to having one break and have pieces of balloon floating in the stream because of it.

Thanks for the input guys, as always, much appreciated!

jayL wrote:
The putty is nice, but in warm weather, it becomes almost unusable in my opinion. I always used the loon biostrike. Anyone have any ideas of anything better that might not have this problem?

Biostrike is the best puddy. I once ran out and my buddy gave me the orvis stuff. It sucked...It was real heavy and hard to cast.

Don't know if loon is good in the summer? I fish a tandem with a terrestrial as my first fly all late spring-summer.

Back